Trigger Pulled on B2601

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Newbie to the Orange forums (but not forums in general) and happy to report I put a deposit down on a new B2601 the other day.

We have 2 properties of ~5 acres and 8.5acres in NH and northern VT respectively with our primary having a 500' gravel driveway with a steep grade up to the road and the other with a 650' gravel driveway (my buddy plows that one). The 2601 will have snow removal duties in NH and project and driveway maintenance duties in both.

A back blade and box grader/land plane are in my future.

The package I purchased is as follows:

I went with Turfs (plan on getting chains ASAP)
Wheel Spacers
RimGuard
FEL
48" Commercial Snowblower
Full hydraulic kit

Equine Discount.......thanks for the big pony finally paying back some of the $ in some way :)

Planning on working on a 3PT Quick Attach, EA's Back Blade (probably 6'), ROPS lighting etc.

Anyone have (of course you do) chain recommendations for Turfs for blowing and back blading my 500' gravel driveway with a significant grade up to the road? I liked the system GP Outdoors used BUT they don't ship to the US and he didn't have Turfs.

Thanks

Steve

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Newbie to the Orange forums (but not forums in general) and happy to report I put a deposit down on a new B2601 the other day.

We have 2 properties of ~5 acres and 8.5acres in NH and northern VT respectively with our primary having a 500' gravel driveway with a steep grade up to the road and the other with a 650' gravel driveway (my buddy plows that one). The 2601 will have snow removal duties in NH and project and driveway maintenance duties in both.

A back blade and box grader/land plane are in my future.

The package I purchased is as follows:

I went with Turfs (plan on getting chains ASAP)
Wheel Spacers
RimGuard
FEL
48" Commercial Snowblower
Full hydraulic kit

Equine Discount.......thanks for the big pony finally paying back some of the $ in some way :)

Planning on working on a 3PT Quick Attach, EA's Back Blade (probably 6'), ROPS lighting etc.

Anyone have (of course you do) chain recommendations for Turfs for blowing and back blading my 500' gravel driveway with a significant grade up to the road? I liked the system GP Outdoors used BUT they don't ship to the US and he didn't have Turfs.

Thanks

Steve

1st thing - glad to have you, this is a great place - lots of reallly talented people each with their expertise in several areas. If you have a question, someone will be able to answer it quickly!

Grading snow on gravel is always fun - NOT - shoes (skis) on the bottom will help, stiff rubber mats bolted to cutting edge help gravel stay put.

Chains for turfs - lots of those to be found. I WOULD get some spacers for the rear first thing ...... two reasons, chains will not hit fender wells or anything else - and maybe more importantly, spreading the rear is better on the balance aspect of your machine.

ROPS lighting is easy peazy - get a relay and make life easy on wiring it up!

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
1st thing - glad to have you, this is a great place - lots of reallly talented people each with their expertise in several areas. If you have a question, someone will be able to answer it quickly!

Grading snow on gravel is always fun - NOT - shoes (skis) on the bottom will help, stiff rubber mats bolted to cutting edge help gravel stay put.

Chains for turfs - lots of those to be found. I WOULD get some spacers for the rear first thing ...... two reasons, chains will not hit fender wells or anything else - and maybe more importantly, spreading the rear is better on the balance aspect of your machine.

ROPS lighting is easy peazy - get a relay and make life easy on wiring it up!
Thanks sir. Wheel Spacers are already being put on prior to purchase so that is a good thing. Your points make 100% sense, thanks.

I took care of the snow in NH last year with a very nice Honda tracked 32" blower which is fantastic.....but 500' on the days when I needed to do it multiple times.....it gets old......and who doesn't want a use-case for a tractor right?

ROPS lights are en-route from ROPS Lights.com.

Plastic Shoes will be also ordered prior to the season.....set em' high and back blade the remainder if it is frozen enough.........

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Now that the tractor is on order........I could use a little advice /guidance as I of course "need" a few things....

Back Blade......thinking EA Delux 6 way in 6' as it will be run on an angle for snow etc. and thinking 5' might be too narrow on an angle.

3pt Quick Attach - Was thinking Speeco.......I can't get the tractor into my shed with anything on it, so easy on/off is good......clearly I will need to make sure all implements are QA compatible

2" receiver for 3pt........ any real reason not to just grab one off Amazon for ~$120.......other than probably rolling the dice on China-made.......?

Block heater? Yay or nay? For snow removal/winter the rig will be outside next to the garage with a cover on it........I wouldn't leave the heater on as that makes a great mouse/house and costs a fortune but more like 1-2 hours before I plan to go out.

Grill Guard......anyone finally making one with the metal mesh on the back or is that still a DIY mode on the OEM piece?

Thanks......sorry for the same questions every new guy has......

Steve

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
2" receiver for 3pt........ any real reason not to just grab one off Amazon for ~$120.......other than probably rolling the dice on China-made.......?

Steve

There are many to choose from ...

I bought this about 5 years ago - very happy with it - hell, has the balls and all.

But you might want this hitch kind.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Absolutely get a block heater, your tractor will love you for it. Have a 55" front blower and using turfs, no chains. Tires are loaded and have had zero issues with traction, except when we get freezing rain. At that point I spread stone chips on the driveway and because its gravel they blend in when melted.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Absolutely get a block heater, your tractor will love you for it. Have a 55" front blower and using turfs, no chains. Tires are loaded and have had zero issues with traction, except when we get freezing rain. At that point I spread stone chips on the driveway and because its gravel they blend in when melted.
Good to hear you have had luck with the loaded turfs........we have a significant grade so I am going to grab a good set of chains, but might give "without" a try just for a reference point. The Block heater feels like a no brainer......thanks for the confirmation.

85Hokie - Thanks....that second one is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
You’ll probably want to make some gauge wheels or something for your snowblower so you keep the gravel out. It’ll get chewed up real quick with gravel in it. The best thing to move snow on a gravel driveway is a v plow and then get a landscape rake and pull the gravel back in to the middle in the spring. I used to live in the north and tried it all.
Good luck with yer new tractor!! They’re pretty stout for their size.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
There are many to choose from ...

I bought this about 5 years ago - very happy with it - hell, has the balls and all.

But you might want this hitch kind.
The regular trailer mover style is QH compatible, can be modded easier in my opinion.
20140905_123006.jpg

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
Try St Pierre Chain down in Worcester, Ma for tire chains, pretty sure they will make a set for you. I love my 2601, have had it since 2016 and love it! What dealer did you purchase from? I purchased at Chappell Tractor in Milford.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
I'm a fellow New Hampshirite with a 300 foot driveway that is steep so the one thing I highly recommend is that whatever chains you get, get them with V-bars for ice. I have ag tires so I use duo-links but with turf tires spend the extra money for the 2 link chains with V-bars, the tractor will ride so much better.

Last edited:

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Try St Pierre Chain down in Worcester, Ma for tire chains, pretty sure they will make a set for you. I love my 2601, have had it since 2016 and love it! What dealer did you purchase from? I purchased at Chappell Tractor in Milford.
[/

Same. Chappell. Tractor is now at dealer and hopefully delivered to me within the next week or so.....