Treasure Hunt

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I am sure most of us do a spring cleanup of our pastures to see what has been collected over the winter. We border state land so get some traffic. Most of the time it is McD wrappers and cups, Wally World plastic bags, beer cans, etc. But this year was unique: I found a kite, probably broke loose with all the high winds we have had, and some type of plastic bumper. It is black thin plastic that could go on a car or ATV, full size not just a little bit of it and it was way down in the pasture and not next to the road. Living in the country is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you get

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I once found a balloon e/w a note in my woods that had been released from a nursing home several hundred miles away. I responded to the address and got a nice letter in return. ;)

What we find along the roadside joining us is ridiculous. Absolutely no respect. The wife picked it all up this past Saturday afternoon and when we left.....yup another can thrown out since she was there. :(

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Every spring, a friend and I go and clean a 1/2 mile stretch of dirt road that and old guy we know owns the land around. We use a pickup and a trailer. This year we had two loads of garbage. It was really sad and disgusting.

We've been doing it for 20 years now, we've never found any treasure. :mad:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not lately, but for several years, almost every Sunday morning if I walked along the road, there would be various of ladies finery. Bras, panties, pantie hose, shoes, you name it, even several pairs of genes. Kinda makes one wonder, where they where partying and why I never got invited ;)

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No ladies undies but everytime I walk the pup, I pick up discarded beer cans along the road. Bud Light is the favorite and each one is 10 cents here in Michigan.

I found a jawbone in one of my hayfields by the drainage ditch and I didn't investigate any farther. No smell so I presumed whatever was there wasn't anymore, probably consumed by yotes.

The county I live in is notorious for getting unknown bodies found.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not lately, but for several years, almost every Sunday morning if I walked along the road, there would be various of ladies finery. Bras, panties, pantie hose, shoes, you name it, even several pairs of genes. Kinda makes one wonder, where they where partying and why I never got invited ;)
Years ago my grandparents went down to visit some friends that wintered in the Keys. Well gramps friend worked there as a maintenance man for the complex they were staying in. Well, gramp and his friend hopped in the golf cart to do "rounds" first thing in the morning. They ran down by the beach and found a couple bikini tops, and some other clothes left out on the beach.

They close pinned them to a headache rack on the cart. Then anytime they saw someone, they would ask if they lost any clothes. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's not just rural.
IMG_7411.JPG

I made a trip to the grocery store and this is what I saw when I opened the truck door. :(

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Along with the usual beer cans, boxes, and normal litter that shows up every spring and then weekends during the summer.....an unusual item showed up in the ditch bottom. After the spring thaw and the water had gone down in the ditches I usually patrol them for cleanup prior to mowing. Sticking up out of the muddy bottom was what looked like a pair of EMT conduit or black pipes just barely visible under the shallow water remaining. Fetching a rake for retrieval revealed that the pipes were stuck together. Tugging a little more brought up a broken, rusted, old, hardware brand double barrel shotgun. Yikes. Completely inoperable so it became a shop wall hanger.
so far the most unusual find out here.
shotgun (2).jpg

The butt stock is broken. The break action rusted shut. Parts missing. Probably belonged to the James Gang! LOL

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
One of my neighbors in the high country had a beautiful Damascus double barrel shotgun hanging above the fireplace & I asked him about it. He said when he was a teen, he worked summers at a cattle ranch in Wyoming. (he was in his late 60s when he told me the story, probably 20+yrs ago)
When they rode fence or rounded up cattle, they slept in old line shacks that had been there decades. One night, by firelight, he saw a glint on the wall opposite from where he lay in the darkness. The next morning he investigated, and found a knot hole in the wood wall where the glint had been. Further inspection found a board that pulled away, revealing the shotgun. I don't remember the details, but it was a foreign name, an 1800s patent, and the most beautiful Damascus pattern I've ever seen. It was in fantastic shape for it's age, but it was missing a hammer.
I always hope to find a treasure like that one day. Wish I had taken a pic of it.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Yours is a more fitting "resting place". (y)
Thanks! When people walk into the shop they see that hanging there right away and ask if John Candy has shown up yet asking to borrow it......as in the movie "The Great Outdoors". Too funny!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
One of my neighbors in the high country had a beautiful Damascus double barrel shotgun hanging above the fireplace & I asked him about it. He said when he was a teen, he worked summers at a cattle ranch in Wyoming. (he was in his late 60s when he told me the story, probably 20+yrs ago)
When they rode fence or rounded up cattle, they slept in old line shacks that had been there decades. One night, by firelight, he saw a glint on the wall opposite from where he lay in the darkness. The next morning he investigated, and found a knot hole in the wood wall where the glint had been. Further inspection found a board that pulled away, revealing the shotgun. I don't remember the details, but it was a foreign name, an 1800s patent, and the most beautiful Damascus pattern I've ever seen. It was in fantastic shape for it's age, but it was missing a hammer.
I always hope to find a treasure like that one day. Wish I had taken a pic of it.
That's a cool story, Lil Foot, and one lucky fella!! I know the German firm Krieghoff made some fancy firearms a while back. In fact (I had to look it up) I remembered a story of a soldier getting Hitler's shotgun, brought it back after WWII, and it somehow came up for sale at a much later date.

Here's one link to that story: https://www.guns.com/news/2014/12/30/gun-believed-to-belong-to-hitlers-sells-for-150000