Transmission fluid level

elimsprint

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine ZL1-235 with tiller, FEL and 60" box blade
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I have a ZL1-235 and I can't find a sight window on it for the tranny fluid level but looking through the filler hole I'm pretty sure it needs fluid so I am wondering how full should I fill it? I can see what looks like a drive shaft just below the filler hole so to just below it, half way up it?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Most sight windows are suppose to be in the middle of the window, but, I am not familiar with a ZL1-235. Hope this helps.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
cthomas, I can't find a sight glass on my tractor anywhere so it probably doesn't come with one but if yours has one how high up the side of the tranny is it? 1/2 way, 2/3's? That would give me an idea of how full a tranny should be and I can fill it to around that level.
billrigsby, I kinda looked for a level plug and didn't find one but that seems like a very likely possibility so I will look some more, thanks for the thought!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The plugs probably look like hex head bolts not square head pipe plugs. You might be able to see a sealing washer under the head of the plug.

on my L185 the level plug is on the left side of the transmission case and near the clutch pedal (when it is not pushed down)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture of the left side of the transmission, there is either a plug there or have you looked for a dipstick?
Common places are right next to the shifter in front of or to the sides of the seat.

Reactions: 1 user

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Post a picture of the left side of the transmission, there is either a plug there or have you looked for a dipstick?
Common places are right next to the shifter in front of or to the sides of the seat.
I looked for a dipstick and no joy but there are a couple of bolts on the left side that I am going to have to inspect more closely. I spent the day trying to fix the last hydraulic leak but I will need to get one more hose made and of course it is the longest one on the tractor:(

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I looked again and there are 2 bolts on the LH side that look like they could be level check bolts but..... they are both behind the clutch shaft and really hard to get out without taking off the clutch shaft. I'm going to take off the shaft as soon as I clean up under there with the pressure washer but...... my other rear tire's valve stem is leaking now so I have to get it repaired before I can take the tractor out to clean it! What a freaking rigamarole!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The right bolt will have a sealing washer on it.