Tranny oil strainer, hardest to sevice item on B6100

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
Finally got the tranny oil strainer back into the tractor on Saturday, took over two hours, prying, pushing, lifting, whacking the tire a number of times between Friday night after dinner/shoveling snow and Saturday AM. Finally removed the tire also to allow better access. Would have been easy with the 26mm socket I bought, but the hydraulic line was just a tiny bit too long and put tension or a bind on the strainer, throwing the hole the strainer goes in out of alignment with the hole in the side of the case and I had a hard time trying to get the threads to catch. Ran out of storage space for the drained fluid, had to make a trip to the garbage transfer site in town to dump into their drain oil tank Saturday after getting the new strainer in, the old just needed cleaning, so I have a back up in case. Hopefully, I can fill the tranny this coming weekend as I was getting a sore throat over the weekend, so limited my time outside on Sunday.
Duane

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
What a nuissance job!
There's a few things on my tractor (L1801) which require the right amount of body contortion, dissassembly of unrelated parts, and the right amount of swearing.
Hydraulic filter screen requires removal of loader brace arm(made that name up but seems reasonable)
Throw out bearing requires the dexterity of a surgeon.

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
The headlight wires are exposed along side the radiator, but I have them repositioned to the front. The left side screen has to be removed to access the oil filter which is an odd size as none of my sockets fit. The previous owner replaced or when he added the FEL, cut rubber hydraulic hoses too short, so the hood/bonnet does not open all the way. One hose is the return line I guess, but the other is a high pressure, so needs the fancy ends.
The seat is too close to the steering wheel, so when dismounting, you have to swing one leg up and over the steering wheel to get off the tractor. I need to look into a piece of steel stock to see if I can bolt on some sort of extension.
Duane

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,

what oil you going to put in? The options are Hydraulic fluid, agrioil (suitable for engine and transition including HST, or 10W-30W engine oil.
My preference is engine oil, even synthetic for maximum protection.
Cheap price is result of big volume of production and number of brands competing on the market.
Regards Frank.

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
I have the Kubota recommended oil )UDT)?, as the dealer said to use it or suffer the consequences. I've since read Shell and another have an acceptable oil. Seem about the same in price. Engine oil is for engines, maybe too many additives or wrong stuff to work in hydraulics and high shear roles, if that's what you can consider the tranny gears.
Duane