Tranmission or drive train noise

nhwm7

Nov 14, 2009
chichester NH,
I have a ZEN-NOH L2002DT. No problems or noise in high range. The noise begins when the transmission is in 1st or 2nd range. There is noise when I first apply a little stress by putting the tractor under a load, like moving forward and begin scooping up gravel. The noise begins as I am driving forward and putting torque on the tractor. The noise reminds me of a grinding noise similar to trying to put a transmission in gear without first putting in the clutch. The noise is more high pitched than a transmission and clutch noise.

At first, before the tractor began making this grinding noise, the tractors movement (backwards or forwards) was not smooth but felt slightly choppy.

If you can help me that would be great.
Thanks, Kevin

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's a thought ( and I could be all wet on this one ) check your torque on the front rim lug nuts to axle hub per operators manual, choke your rear wheels and use the FEL to raise the front wheels off the ground and try to roll the right wheel in the forward direction listening for the your sound. I don't know anything about your Gray Market tractor but I bet you it's something very simple. Mechanically, its every bit as strong as any Kubota L series in it's league. Where did you find her? :)

nhwm7

Nov 14, 2009
chichester NH,
I will try your suggestion and see what happens. I heard the grinding type noise when I changed the transmission from high range to 1st or 2nd range, so I thought maybe the lever did not fully engage the 1st and 2nd range gears. So I disconnected the shift lever and I manually put the shifting lever arm in the 1st range gear position to make sure it was completely engaged. The first time I tried this I held the shifting lever arm in place and asked my son in law to drive forward and strain the drive train and the grinding noise did not happen. I pulled the shifting lever arm back out of gear and I tried it again and and when the drive train was strained again I heard the grinding noise. I am wandering if there is a part that holds the engaged gear in place and is worn out causing the gear to partially disengage under a strained load. It does not happen in when the transmission is in high range. I can strain the drive train in high range in 1st gear and stall the tractor and no grinding noise. I bought the tractor in 2005 from Zephyer Knoll Farms in Dundee, NY and the tractor had about 700 hours on the hour meter. I like the tractor and it has been working fine until this happened. Whats your thoughts?

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ah ha you have discover the noise with a process of elimination and a good Son-in- Law willing to help.. eventhough I don't have a break down of your exact transmission the attachment is representative of what you'd see internally with the cover off. If it takes hand pressure against first gear to keep her in mesh (cluster gear aligned and in total phase with first gear ) I suspect a bent yoke but lets go after the easy stuff first.
(1) Check the fluid level, mounting bolts and the top cover bolts. If you have had the tranny split from the engine the alighment with the clutch housing may be off. i.e. ( transmission clutch housing and engine flywheel not lined up properly).
(2) A noisy transmission leads to jumping out of gear and if this starts its time to go internal.
(3) Worn 1 & 2 gears and main shaft bearings pitted or chipped causing excessive end play.
(4) Worn parts in the shift housing such as shift rail poppet springs broken or weak, rail poppet notch worn, interlock and poppet balls worn.
(5) And I suspect this is your problem because you have to hold the shift lever in by hand pressure to prevent a grinding noise....shift fork is sprung or loose and the gear shift cover may be loose too. Hope this gives you a starting point and remember advice is cheap and totally refundable, a good mechanic at a Dealer is not. ;)

Attachments

nhwm7

Nov 14, 2009
chichester NH,
I will check out what you have told me and i will get back to you with what I find as the problem.
Thank you for writing back as quick as you do, I appreciate it.