Trailering L3430

sahmie3985

Equipment
2006 Kubota L3430
Jun 10, 2012
Montrose, PA
Hello :

I am purchasing a 2006 L3430 - with LA723 Front loader and BH90 Backhoe
attachement. What is the total weight and length of this equipment?

I have never trailered anything this large, Would a Toyota Tundra Crew max handle the weight?

What length and weight capacity trailer would I need?

I am trailering equipment 200 miles, any sugestions where I might be able to rent a one way trailer in southeast PA.

Thanks
SMA

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
According to Tractor Data the L3430 weighs in at 3,305lbs empty. Thats just the tractor alone probably without ballast in the tires. By the time you add on for the FEL and hoe like you are getting and then the ballast in the tires might as well say 5000lbs or so of weight. I'm not sure what a Toyota can haul but make sure your truck can handle around 10,000lbs safely. And as far as a trailer goes I'd look for a 7x18 on the smallest size.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/8/5/1851-kubota-l3430.html

Last edited:

cmustang

Equipment
B7100hst 50" tiller Dodge 2500 diesel 700 Grizzly 79 K5 blazer 40" Boggers
Jun 9, 2012
Mayerthorpe, Alberta, Canada
the trick to heavy loads on pickups with trailers is balance. if your load is to far forward you can overload your rear axle and take weight off of your front axle. You wont be able to steer. To far back and there is no weight on the rear axle and the trailer will push you into a skid. This size of load you should have breaks on the trailer and if it is a bumper pull a load leveler hitch. If you take your time and are confident in pulling you should be fine.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
This is a controversial subject that has be kicked around several times. The trouble is the total gross weight and a small trucks ability to stop such a heavy load. Spend a little time looking at those discussions to help you decide.

cmustang

Equipment
B7100hst 50" tiller Dodge 2500 diesel 700 Grizzly 79 K5 blazer 40" Boggers
Jun 9, 2012
Mayerthorpe, Alberta, Canada
I completely agree with Kytim do your research and don't take any chances. Speaking from experience if you bite off more than you or your truck/ trailer can handle things go very bad very fast

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
This is a controversial subject that has be kicked around several times. The trouble is the total gross weight and a small trucks ability to stop such a heavy load. Spend a little time looking at those discussions to help you decide.
The Tundra isn't a small truck- it is a full size, with a rear axle bigger than many 3/4 ton trucks. The OP should read his owners manual for the truck, find out exactly how much his new tractor will weigh fully dressed, factor in the weight of a trailer strong enough to handle the tractor, and then determine if the truck will safely handle it. Brakes are mandatory on the trailer.
My guess? The Tundra is a strong truck, but I think that Eric's estimate on the weight might be too conservative. From TBN:
"My Kubota L3430 with LA513 Loader, Heavy Duty 66" Bucket, Quick Tach, BL4960 Backhoe, 16" BH Bucket and loaded tires weighs 7,250 lbs. When on my 18' Maclander 12,000 lb Trailer, I am pulling 10,500, just had it weighed."
I assume that this is accurate, and it sounds more in the ballpark. A trailer heavy enough to haul that tractor could easily weigh 3,000 to 4,000 pounds- our 20' gooseneck weighs 4700. You are then looking in the ballpark of at least 10,000 pounds. That kind of weight is more suited to a dually, than a single rear wheel truck.
A local trip would be one thing, but 200 miles- I would look into the cost of delivery. A friend of mine just lost a Belarus 420 in a barn fire, and got a JD 5300 in replacement. The delivery fee for the tractor was reasonable.

I just looked up a 2013 Tundra tow rating, and it is 8100 pounds. I don't think you can tow that tractor safely.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say this, if it's a one time transport from the dealer to your home I would look into a towing company to transport the tractor. I used to driver wreckers and tow trucks off and on for a living and I've hauled it all including farm tractors. For us if it fits on the bed and the truck could handle it we hauled it. Look for a towing company in the area where the tractor is located now and have them haul it too you. Call around and ask for a light duty rollback to haul the tractor fro you.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
May be borderline for Tundra when total weight of system is considered. Look up specs (1200-1500 for BH; 700-1000 for loader depending on bucket) and add known trailer weight. Trailer brakes would be mandatory requiring controller and hookup. Read Owner's Manual of PU for towing capacity.

Figure in brand-name straps / chains and cost of fuel at 8-mpg. Cost of hauling may look attractive.

Your insurance cover replacement lost-while-towing? Could be expensive rider if not normally included. My insurance covers 'between farms within 20-miles and to shop only' as example.

If buying perhaps dealer will deliver one time at no addl cost. Mine does. For other hauls he gets $2 loaded mile (probably a loss-leader for customer convenience and sales generator). May be negotiable on costs. If nothing else find a gypsy hauler and pay cash but you ride WITH him and dump it off in nearby town for you to haul to house (personal security aspect hard learned).

We use Toyotas for a lot but would make this haul using one-ton and gooseneck.

Good luck and stay safe.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My advise if you so choose to hire somebody to haul the tractor for you. Make sure its somebody reputable. Which is why I mention a towing company. In my 10 years of truckdriving I've learned theres alot of jackwagons out here with truck's and trailers trying to haul a load and earn a buck. Alot of fly by night outfits with NO insurance or liability coverage. So if something happens you loose your tractor. Demand to see proof of insurance if you choose to hire somebody to haul it for you. If its a reliable company they will happily show you documents.

Helpful hints to steer clear of the fly by nighters:

If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. If they are telling you a insanely low rate and say they have "extra space" on their trailer and are heading that way. More then likely they are not legal.

If they ask for their funds sent to them half and half, meaning they want some in check or credit card and the rest in cash then they are not legal.

Key points to look for so your hiring the right people. A company name, something solid and not like Bob and Sue's trucking. A real company name means they are usually incorporated or operating as an LLC. Look for DOT and ICC numbers on the side of their truck, which means they are legal to cross state lines. {Department of Transportation and Interstate Commerce Commission} If you can pay for the entire haul with a credit card they are reliable. And again the biggest thing here is ask to see proof of insurance. A reliable transport company has to have at all times at least a million dollar wrap around policy to transport cargo. They are required to have business insurance, full coverage insurance on the vehicle and a cargo/liability insurance on the freight itself. Transport companies here in Va spend atleast $1,500 to $2,000 a year in insurance alone.