Trailering 3901

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Looking for acceptable connection points to trailer 3901. Thinking a heavy duty clevis in the rear draw bar with Grade 70 5/16". Not to sure recommendation for front end with loader/bucket. Thanks

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Right or wrong this is how I chain mine down.

4AECC024-95BC-4C8E-918F-851BA079D63E.jpeg

FCFD7DD5-C2F3-4B00-B528-7A575E860010.jpeg

Over the brush guard in the front and through the draw bar receiver in the back.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Would you happen to know the total length from the front of the loader bucket to the rear of backhoe. Like to know it will fit on my trailer when I pick it up from dealer. Thanks Fish.
roughly 18-19 feet. Mine is on an 18 ft trailer. Are you getting the LX2610 you have listed? I don’t know for sure but I would guess its similar to slightly shorter then my L

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
roughly 18-19 feet. Mine is on an 18 ft trailer. Are you getting the LX2610 you have listed? I don’t know for sure but I would guess its similar to slightly shorter then my L

I should have clarified, no backhoe on mine but I appreciate the info.

As far as the front, what about running grade 70 through the open cylinder on the loader.

AND, i plan to use 5/16 Grade 70. Any comments there? Believe rated for 4700.

thanks for taking time to post

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I should have clarified, no backhoe on mine but I appreciate the info.

As far as the front, what about running grade 70 through the open cylinder on the loader.

AND, i plan to use 5/16 Grade 70. Any comments there? Believe rated for 4700.

thanks for taking time to post
I was responding to Fish in regards to the back hoe. Likely fine running it through the loader tube, I just prefer attaching to the tractor itself. I run the bucket into the front of the trailer so I don’t worry about strapping it down. 3/8 chain on front and 5/16 on rear, no reason except its what I have both 20 ft.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I was responding to Fish in regards to the back hoe. Likely fine running it through the loader tube, I just prefer attaching to the tractor itself. I run the bucket into the front of the trailer so I don’t worry about strapping it down. 3/8 chain on front and 5/16 on rear, no reason except its what I have both 20 ft.
much obliged, thanks

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
I run a grade 70 3/8 chain through the tube that goes through the FEL arms,hooked on one side to the stake pocket with the rest of the chain looped back through the stake pocket on the other side and pulled tight with a ratchet chain binder. This does 2 things, pulls the tractor down and the grapple against the front edge of the trailer frame. The tractor cannot go forward or backward or get off the floor of the trailer,I also do the same with a chain using the rear stake pockets,as I always have a piece of equipment on the rear,bush hog,tandem disc's, blade, etc, I chain over,around through so that tractor cannot move in any direction. Trailer is 18 ft dovetail equipment trailer w 3500 lb axles w brakes on both axles. You get a pole long enough to push the hook on the chain through the tube on the FEL. I use a flagpole from a golf course that "fell" into my mom's 66 Ford Country Sedan station wagon in the 70s. Just be safe and chain/ strap so that if anything unexpected happens , your tractor stays on the trailer. Good luck to all on your projects.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I run a grade 70 3/8 chain through the tube that goes through the FEL arms,hooked on one side to the stake pocket with the rest of the chain looped back through the stake pocket on the other side and pulled tight with a ratchet chain binder. This does 2 things, pulls the tractor down and the grapple against the front edge of the trailer frame. The tractor cannot go forward or backward or get off the floor of the trailer,I also do the same with a chain using the rear stake pockets,as I always have a piece of equipment on the rear,bush hog,tandem disc's, blade, etc, I chain over,around through so that tractor cannot move in any direction. Trailer is 18 ft dovetail equipment trailer w 3500 lb axles w brakes on both axles. You get a pole long enough to push the hook on the chain through the tube on the FEL. I use a flagpole from a golf course that "fell" into my mom's 66 Ford Country Sedan station wagon in the 70s. Just be safe and chain/ strap so that if anything unexpected happens , your tractor stays on the trailer. Good luck to all on your projects.
Thanks a ton. Sounds like your on target with what I have in mind. I gotta travel 300 miles so I wanted to see what some other members are doing, Thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Check your state regulations. In both CT & MA, they require 4 point tie downs, and they have to each be separate from each other. I have been told that if you get pulled over, and it isn't "legally" secured, that they will not only ticket you, but call a flat bed to take the tractor away to a tow yard. They can't cite you and then allow you to continue on with an illegal activity to your destination. Ask your selling dealer what is required in your state. They move them all the time, and know what is legal and safe.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Check your state regulations. In both CT & MA, they require 4 point tie downs, and they have to each be separate from each other. I have been told that if you get pulled over, and it isn't "legally" secured, that they will not only ticket you, but call a flat bed to take the tractor away to a tow yard. They can't cite you and then allow you to continue on with an illegal activity to your destination. Ask your selling dealer what is required in your state. They move them all the time, and know what is legal and safe.
good advise, thanks

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
4 axle straps over the smooth axle housings will provide easy to use and secure anchors for this size tractor. Other straps or chains with binders can secure the axle straps to the trailer. Grade and integrity of chains and straps matter. You can minimize chafing, including if you use chains around the axles, if you use a radiator hose as a sleeve for chains and straps.

Standards can be found here: https://www.peerlesschain.com/tie-down-chain-and-load-binder-specifications/

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would not rely upon the advice from the dealer. Often the guys that haul the same thing over and over look for short cuts. For example, look at the rollback wreckers as you pass them. Often you will see one or two of the J-hooks on the rear axle and the winch line tied to the front. This is common practice for the wrecker driver and is in violation of FDOT rules. The winch is never a legal tie down. And if the winch allows the car to move the J-hooks may simple fail to stay hooked to the car.

I do not know the laws in the states mentioned above but the 4 points of tiedowns may not apply untie the weight of the tractor is above 10,000 pounds. Also there are ways to use 4 binders and 2 chains in order to have the 4 point tie downs.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I would not rely upon the advice from the dealer. Often the guys that haul the same thing over and over look for short cuts. For example, look at the rollback wreckers as you pass them. Often you will see one or two of the J-hooks on the rear axle and the winch line tied to the front. This is common practice for the wrecker driver and is in violation of FDOT rules. The winch is never a legal tie down. And if the winch allows the car to move the J-hooks may simple fail to stay hooked to the car.

I do not know the laws in the states mentioned above but the 4 points of tiedowns may not apply untie the weight of the tractor is above 10,000 pounds. Also there are ways to use 4 binders and 2 chains in order to have the 4 point tie downs.
I just heard today at the Kubota dealer that my compact does not meet the 4 tie down criteria, actually they believe it only applies to large tractors. Of course this is just idle chatter unverified, but supports your comment.

Buckshot1600

Equipment
L3901HST, RCR1260, RB1584, SPL1072, Wallenstein BX52S, Meteor SB72 snowblower
May 4, 2017
B.C. Canada
Personally, I welded D-rings on the push bumper (basically where the chain is run in the first picture) and I am so glad I did. Easy to reach from either side. Thank you for your time