Someone also posted another pic of a bracket-like contraption that sort of hooked over the backhoe bucket, but several searches both on the web & on OTT have failed to find it. Can't find the right search string, I guess. The first solution will probably not work with mine because the bucket design is different & my bucket curls more- that's why I'd like to see the other one again. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?
Thanks in advance.
Been working on this for months, but this weekend was the first time I had to actually try out my prototype. Because the B670 hoe is a much weaker/smaller design than modern hoes like those on the BX25 family, and the B670 bucket curls much further, different problems arise when trying the solutions shown above. I wanted more support for the hitch & less stress on the hoe, so my solution takes advantage of my chain/load binder support for the hoe, (pic 1) and uses a second chain/load binder to anchor it to the tractor's hitch under the differential, (pic 2) taking much of the load off the hoe. Pic 3 shows the start of the fabrication, using recycled/re-purposed .400 thick aluminum plate. Pic 4 & 5 is the prototype.
The next pics show it mounted on the hoe with a dump trailer & a yard wagon.
Next is the military load binder, (FSN 3990-360-0248) that is hooked between a crossbar on the hitch adapter & a clevis on the towing chain that stays on the tractor. (see pic #2)
The next two are more views.
Mounting is straightforward. The adapter is hooked over the curl cylinder's bosses, and the chain from the differential hitch is hooked (loosely) on the front crossbar.
Then the load binder is hooked from the other crossbar to the clevis on the chain & tightened. Now the load is spread between the backhoe support chain, the chain from the differential, and the swing lock.
The steel hitch bar can be swapped end for end for a 2" ball hitch, and the aluminum plate the steel hitch bar is mounted in can be reversed (vertically) for a small height change. I also have 2" balls of differing heights I can swap in if needed.
After a little towing this past weekend, I am going to add another set of holes (the four button head cap screws) to mount the aluminum block/steel hitch bar higher in the frame.
(almost 1 1/4" rise)
I also may drill some lightening holes in the aluminum frame. (swiss cheese effect)
I'll post more pics when completed.
Thanks, the primary goal was to minimize loading on the hoe, but the side benefit is that it will probably haul a lot also. I really don't foresee towing much more than the little dump trailer hauling dirt/fill, and maybe moving my (empty) 6'x12' utility trailer around.
I finally got around to modifying my hitch. (my time is seldom my own these days)
After moving the aluminum block/steel hitch bar higher in the frame, I decided to do away with the lower position completely; yields a slight increase in clearance & departure angle. The lightening holes probably don't save much weight, but they look cool.