Trailer Hitch for BX23S

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Does anyone make a trailer hitch for a BX23S that has a backhoe mounted on it? Thanks
Im not a fan of having a hitch on the backhoe
I use 2 homemade attachments

The first is a bucket mounted tow hitch
see here https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39793

The second is mounted under the backhoe.
I just use this one for pulling though. I generally dont have it on my BX23S as I only use it when pulling stumps which is a combination of the backhoe and the rope pulleys.

To make the hitch I welded some 65x65.x5mm RHS to the frame shackle point behind the backhoe. This is the size of a standard receiver hitch. I then used some 50x50x5mm RHS to make a tongue that goes under the backhoe and give me a shackle point the pokes out behind and under the backhoe.

You could use an off the shelf drop hitch and bolt on receiver to do the same.
You need aprox 25mm of clearance under the backhoe to allow you to get it on and off.

If you need some pics can get some next time I have the backhoe off.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
OK - Some great home made manufacturing projects....So what I'm seeing is any type of a hitch is mounted to the bucket....My towing needs are that of a HD log splitter & trailer load of split wood to the wood shed....I'm guessing this all puts stress on the backhoe unit?

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I'm guessing this all puts stress on the backhoe unit?
Each to there own but I would not pull more than an empty single axle box trailer using the backhoe.

The rams are not made to have kind of load put on them.
You are also relying on the boom pin which is going to take a lot of the stress.
Im guessing it will bust the tubes real quick.

As for the bucket as long as you dont exceed your lift with the trailer ball weight you will be OK.

Worst case take the backhoe off and put a town ball in the frame mount. The ball can stay mounted as it wont effect the 3pl or BH
Should only take a few mins to hook up the trailer

Whatever way you tow just remember you need to stop. Just because you can move a load does not make it a good idea to do so. Common sense in what you do and all will be ok

Last edited:

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
I have to agree, that using the backhoe/bucket is not an ideal hitch. With regards to moving a log splitter around, which mine is a HD splitter with a donut welded on the front to accommodate a pintle hook....I'm thinking the best way to do it is mount a hitch to the front of the tractor on the frame, raise the bucket over the log splitter & move it in reverse.... which again this too is not ideal, but lessor of the two evils with regard to strain on the tractor....I bought the tractor brand new, keep it indoors, I use it, but baby it as well.....This tractor is a one time deal for me........

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You got an HD log splitter,, I didn;t know Harley Davidson made log splitters :D