Trailer for your tractor

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
While I don't have a big tractor yet, I am contemplating selling my 5.5 x 10' flatbed and getting a different trailer so that I can transport the tractor with implements like the mower or tiller. Thinking a 20' bed, but what weight would I get, 10K or 14K? The B2410 can get away with a 7K with both a mower and tiller and loader and backhoe since it only weighs 1600 with the loader, but the L4060 will weigh ~5500.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
While I don't have a big tractor yet, I am contemplating selling my 5.5 x 10' flatbed and getting a different trailer so that I can transport the tractor with implements like the mower or tiller. Thinking a 20' bed, but what weight would I get, 10K or 14K? The B2410 can get away with a 7K with both a mower and tiller and loader and backhoe since it only weighs 1600 with the loader, but the L4060 will weigh ~5500.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Depends…GVWR should subtract the trailer weight. If you have a 14k trailer and trailer weighs 4K then you have 10k load capacity. What size trailer hitch? That comes into play too. If your deck is on short side then you are limited how you load and balance the trailer. If you have a short deck and need to hand the Bh or brush hog off the back I believe there is a limit. As to how much something can hangs off. I just went through this with my mx tractor. If you have folding ramps that can also effect how you load….make sure it all fits and balances is all I can say. Fills up real quick when you add implements. I thought it was huge until I had the Ho on…then I had to raise the ho to fold the ramps good luck.
20F01BE3-A59C-4D90-9459-7059393F8487.jpeg 0D6C3DC1-1E14-40DB-A1C8-EC92A2F552EB.jpeg E6BA87C6-DFEA-43C2-B76C-5FB2A2CA166F.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Depends…GVWR should subtract the trailer weight. If you have a 14k trailer and trailer weighs 4K then you have 10k load capacity. What size trailer hitch? That comes into play too. If your deck is on short side then you are limited how you load and balance the trailer. If you have a short deck and need to hand the Bh or brush hog off the back I believe there is a limit. As to how much something can hangs off. I just went through this with my mx tractor. If you have folding ramps that can also effect how you load….make sure it all fits and balances is all I can say. Fills up real quick when you add implements. I thought it was huge until I had the Ho on…then I had to raise the ho to fold the ramps good luck.
View attachment 68527 View attachment 68529 View attachment 68530
Why do you not move the tractor all the way forward on the trailer, and chain the hoe down on the deck?
I have a Kubota L48 TLB which weighs 7780 lbs. + fuel (11' reach hoe) on a 14K 20 ' trailer.

I curl the loader bucket down on it's edge, all the way forward, and the hoe sits (between the folded up ramps) on the very aft edge of the beaver tail.
A 14K trailer is OK for personal use, but if transporting for hire, you will need a CDL.

My tongue weight works out just perfectly at 10%.
I would have chosen a 22'deck trailer, but 20' was all I could fit in my building with two vehicles end to end.
I store everything inside.

I believe that in most states a 2' trailer load overhang is allowed.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Why do you not move the tractor all the way forward on the trailer, and chain the hoe down on the deck?
I have a Kubota L48 TLB which weighs 7780 lbs. + fuel (11' reach hoe) on a 14K 20 ' trailer.

I curl the loader bucket down on it's edge, all the way forward, and the hoe sits (between the folded up ramps) on the very aft edge of the beaver tail.
A 14K trailer is OK for personal use, but if transporting for hire, you will need a CDL.

I would have chosen a 22'deck trailer, but 20' was all I could fit in my building with two vehicles end to end.

I am not really sure. Mainly I am not sure how separating them is safer or easier. If anything shofts I probabaly have a bigger problem on my hands to re install. And also I guess I am not sure how that much tongue weight would be helpful. I don’t have a good way to measure the tongue weight either…I eyeball bumper with tape measure before and look to see the rear suspension compressed a couple inches. ..but I do not have an accurate weigh to measure. I think though I can assume my tractor should not be setting completely in front of the trailer axles though.

I really never thought about it. I am also not sure that makes securing easier or safer. If a load would shift that is another problem….but maybe my biggest concern would be that much weight on the tongue. I don’t have a good way to measure but I suspect it’s too much.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Go with one with 7000 pound axles. You have less tire, bearing problems later on and its always nice toT have a little extra brakes when needed. Twenty foot is a nice length. If you find a twenty four it even better.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Whatever you buy, be sure it has brakes on BOTH axles AND backup lights !!
if you want to kow why....come here and backup a trailer down the curvy laneway at 2AM.....

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
If you upsize your tractor to a GL4060, here’s the weights.
8CF910CD-FC34-40BD-9839-739CD36C0D44.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If you upsize your tractor to a GL4060, here’s the weights.
View attachment 68872
Thats quite helpful. Not sure what the BH70-x weighs, or if I will even get a subframe and transfer it, I decided keeping the B2410 is going to be a good idea as I can always use 2 tractors to save time and it's paid for.

I have a horse trailer I plan to sell next year once I get the title cleared up, never received it from the lender and they are so long out of business now, that it is long gone. Still shows a lien that needs to get cleared. Once I sell that I can put the proceeds towards a new trailer and was trying to decide on how long of a trailer, 20-22-24, and if I should get removable side rails and drive over fenders. Most important is the GVWR though, 10K seems that it might get over loaded, but can be towed by either truck, though the F150 can still tow the 14K trailer provided it stays under 13K. One trailer I am looking at has a payload of 7149, so looks like, based on the above weights, a 14K trailer may be needed.

I have a class A so trailer weight is a non issue for me, and don't plan on doing any commercial work, but that is always an option I leave open. Well aware of FMCSA Regs, and what is required for towing commercial. I may own the equipment I am transporting, but if I am transporting them to a job I get paid for, then it falls under commercial and I require DOT placards on the truck. Then I fall under other guidelines, like having to cross scales, get inspected, etc. I don't think I will be doing any for hire work with them to avoid all that.

I may have to actually order the trailer as stock near here is slim and doesn't have exactly what I am looking for yet. Not sure how long of a trailer would work either. Will 20 be long enough, or go up to a 24? I may want to transport the tractor and mower, maybe the tiller and other stuff at one time, but have no idea just how long the L4060 with loader is.

Something like this with the removable side rails is what I have in mind.
1635859672995.png

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Going to tow a little or a lot.

I went to a tilt deck and I will never go back. Saves so much time, much easier and safer to load as well.

Here is a picture of my 22' 14K with my custom grapple mount on the front.

tilt-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
There are some of those on the lot too. I can also go to a gooseneck with the 5th wheel conversion, but those are a bit pricey. One other thing that I may put the trailer to use for is delivering hay, hence the removable side rails. At least I have plenty of options to play with.

So if you were to load the tiller up on the front and carry a mower, or the other way around, how would you load it?

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Actually a deck over is my preferred trailer, unlimited use then, but availability is scarce and they are not cheap either.

Here is one I found that I think fits the bill,
1635876868966.png

102 x 24 14K , $10,500, about a 4 hour drive from me. The only true downside of upgrading the trailer from a 3K single to one of these is the $270 yearly registration fee, so I had better have a good reason for it. Then again renting a 10K deck over for 3 days costs more than $270, but still less than the price of the trailer, but the trailer is an asset. I can sell my single axle flatbed now for more than I paid for it new.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Actually a deck over is my preferred trailer, unlimited use then, but availability is scarce and they are not cheap either.

Here is one I found that I think fits the bill,
View attachment 69004

102 x 24 14K , $10,500, about a 4 hour drive from me. The only true downside of upgrading the trailer from a 3K single to one of these is the $270 yearly registration fee, so I had better have a good reason for it. Then again renting a 10K deck over for 3 days costs more than $270, but still less than the price of the trailer, but the trailer is an asset. I can sell my single axle flatbed now for more than I paid for it new.
Just so you know rates of trailers going through roof since spring. I picked up a diamond c earlier this and rates went up week later. Dealer locked me in. Definitely did me a solid. I’d check about locking in the price if you order the way inflation is going. Happy shopping.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Just so you know rates of trailers going through roof since spring. I picked up a diamond c earlier this and rates went up week later. Dealer locked me in. Definitely did me a solid. I’d check about locking in the price if you order the way inflation is going. Happy shopping.
Not sure where in Ill you are, but I went to Spencers southwest of Indianapolis. They were outstanding to do business with.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If talking about finance rates, I plan to pay cash for it, or not buy it. If talking about ordering one now, I am not 100% convinced I need one yet, and have to sell my horse trailer first, but that will take a while due to the lost title. After seeing what my particular horse trailer has been sold for, I believe I can get more than I paid for it back in 2000. It has been kept indoors, and other than needing new tires since they are 21 years old, and a good cleaning, it still looks like new.

I also have to weigh the practicality of it vs what I currently have. I could use a larger trailer, but do I really need one that large, for what purpose other than fueling it at the FS or taking it to the dealer, which after never taking the B2410 in since I got it in 2002, I don't believe I would need to, what else would I use it for.

Purpose of this thread is to determine what trailer would best work, now that I have that information, which pretty much confirmed my initial thoughts, I need to step back and think if I really need one.

Want vs Need for this one.

I also have to figure out where to park it when not in use. I currently have 4 trailers, ranging from the 6 x 12 cargo and 5.5 x 10 flatbed to a 43' 5th wheel RV. Just added a baler, Moco and rake to the mix, and have to clear out the barn to make room to store 20 tons of AG lime now too.

Going to be a busy year ahead of me.