Trailer Break Away Battery Charging

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What do you guys do to keep your trailer break away battery charged during the winter? I have a new trailer purchased this year that I'll be using over the winter months and would like to keep the battery charged and ready to go at all times. I really don't want to remove the battery for charging.

Should I not worry about it at all...and just use it as needed? The truck has a 220 amp alternator. I don't think there will be any issues charging that little battery when I'm on the road.

or

Since I'll be keeping the truck connected to a battery tender anyway, should I just connect the trailer to the truck with the 7 pin connector to keep the trailer battery charged? Is that a bad idea?

What do you think?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What do you guys do to keep your trailer break away battery charged during the winter? I have a new trailer purchased this year that I'll be using over the winter months and would like to keep the battery charged and ready to go at all times. I really don't want to remove the battery for charging.

Should I not worry about it at all...and just use it as needed? The truck has a 220 amp alternator. I don't think there will be any issues charging that little battery when I'm on the road.

or

Since I'll be keeping the truck connected to a battery tender anyway, should I just connect the trailer to the truck with the 7 pin connector to keep the trailer battery charged? Is that a bad idea?

What do you think?
I just try to remember to hook up one of my .75A Battery Tender Jr's for a while every 4-6 months

Last edited:

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Anything that has a battery gets setup with its own trickle charger / battery tender. It would be a PIA to me to have to keep the trailer hooked up to the truck permanently but YMMV.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You need to test the 7 pin connector and see IF there's live 24/7 power on the center pin !! Most newer trucks have relays feeding power to the 'trailer connector' so may / may not have power ,unless truck engine is running.

If you're not going to use the trailer, remove battery, store in a warm spot, be sure it's fully charged....

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Steve I just let them sit out the winter. The truck charges them up when it's hooked up to tow. If the light is yellow when I push to test before hooking up, usually by the end of the day it's back to green.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Steve I just let them sit out the winter. The truck charges them up when it's hooked up to tow. If the light is yellow when I push to test before hooking up, usually by the end of the day it's back to green.
Agreed. Never worried about it with my other trailer. That battery has been dead for years.

I do plan on connecting the truck to a battery tender for sure.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
During the winter I make it a habit to plug in my trickle charger at the start of each month. I've hard wired quick connectors for my trickle charger on all equipment with a battery to make it easier.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

or

What do you think?
If it has good sun exposure, harbor freight sells a solar charger with alligator clips pretty cheap. Clip it to the battery, and lay it out in the sun.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I take mine out, put it in the machine shed and put a trickle charger on it.
I could charge it in the driveway but with my luck I'd run over the extension cord while plowing.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I 2nd the solar charger. Didn't have good luck with the HF one. Got a Battery Tender brand and it's been a few years.
To be fair to HF, the damage could have been done by me. I hooked the truck up before unplugging it. I might have bucked voltage and roasted it. Now it's always unplugged before hooking up the truck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: with my luck I'd run over the extension cord while plowing.

better than seeing how much of a 100' cord DOES get wrapped around and around and around a snowblower auger............

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
re: with my luck I'd run over the extension cord while plowing.

better than seeing how much of a 100' cord DOES get wrapped around and around and around a snowblower auger............

and I found out last year how well the mulch kit on my ZG127 works on 50' extension cord....wasn't much left of it a few pieces here and there but most of it was just mulched up.