Tractor won't start, PTO issues?

pastorfish

Apr 24, 2017
Virginia
Hi everyone,

I have a B7510 sitting in a field and I can't get it started. I'm sure the horses like having the extra company, but I'd really kind of like it back! :) I had just finished bush hogging the field, had disengaged the PTO and jumped off the tractor to open the gate. As soon as I left the seat the tractor shut off as if the PTO were still engaged. When I got back on the engine wouldn't even turn over. The lights all lit up, but nothing happened (again, almost as though the tractor thought the PTO was still engaged).

I was very close to empty, so I put some fuel in just in case that was the issue. I removed the shaft to the bush hog and when in the disengaged position, the PTO turns freely. When in the engaged positions it is locked. So that part is working. I've checked the relevant fuses, tried jumping, cleaned up the battery terminals. I removed the leads from the seat safety switch and jumped them together, still no go. I removed the leads from the switch that the PTO lever touches and did the same, still no go. I'm at a loss for what to try next other than trying to get someone out to look at it, but I feel like this has to be something fairly simple so I'd rather not do that until I'm out of options. Anyone have any thoughts on what else I could try?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I don't know for sure but possibly is there a seat safety switch on your tractor? I know I've read many times of those causing issue. Or could be a clutch safety switch.

Last edited:

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Is your tractor a HST? There's another safety switch linked to pedal if not returned to neutral and you leave your seat.

Skuncelman

Equipment
L4240
Apr 16, 2020
Ebensburg, PA
Hi everyone,

I have a B7510 sitting in a field and I can't get it started. I'm sure the horses like having the extra company, but I'd really kind of like it back! :) I had just finished bush hogging the field, had disengaged the PTO and jumped off the tractor to open the gate. As soon as I left the seat the tractor shut off as if the PTO were still engaged. When I got back on the engine wouldn't even turn over. The lights all lit up, but nothing happened (again, almost as though the tractor thought the PTO was still engaged).

I was very close to empty, so I put some fuel in just in case that was the issue. I removed the shaft to the bush hog and when in the disengaged position, the PTO turns freely. When in the engaged positions it is locked. So that part is working. I've checked the relevant fuses, tried jumping, cleaned up the battery terminals. I removed the leads from the seat safety switch and jumped them together, still no go. I removed the leads from the switch that the PTO lever touches and did the same, still no go. I'm at a loss for what to try next other than trying to get someone out to look at it, but I feel like this has to be something fairly simple so I'd rather not do that until I'm out of options. Anyone have any thoughts on what else I could try?
What was outcome to this i am experiencing the same issue with my 4240

DevonOrange

Equipment
B2530
Apr 19, 2018
devon
Apologies for necro thread, but hopefully this helps someone. I had this today, turned PTO on and saw my flail mower wasn't running right so tried to turn the PTO off. Pulled the PTO gear lever and wouldn't engage the PTO clutch so just turned the tractor off at the ignition. Tried to restart the tractor and it wouldn't start - lights all came on but no crank. What happened (I think) was the PTO stayed engaged, even moving the PTO engagement lever did nothing. Eventually put PTO in Rear/Mid mode, PTO disengaged, handbrake off and pushed the tractor a couple of feet. Heard something "clunk" (Maybe gearing realigning?) and suddenly I could engage the PTO clutch and start the tractor.