Tractor Towing- Chaining to Trailer

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
My new tractor was delivered with 2 ratchet straps. 1 on the front axle. 1 on the rear. Nothing on a brush hog. I find it hard to believe the dealership would break DOT laws.
For myself and hopefully plenty of others here, it's not so much about simply satisfying the most basic letter of "the law". Just because you can legally tow a small tractor with one strap front and rear, doesn't mean it's safe to do so. And yes, ten people will probably reply "I've been doing it for years with no problems". I've been driving for years and haven't died in a car wreck. Doesn't mean it might not ever happen.

I put 4 straps on my zero turn mower or RTV when either (or both ) is on my flatbed. One at each corner. I frequently see zero turns with zero straps, or best case with one strap thrown over the floor board of the mower.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
For myself and hopefully plenty of others here, it's not so much about simply satisfying the most basic letter of "the law". Just because you can legally tow a small tractor with one strap front and rear, doesn't mean it's safe to do so. And yes, ten people will probably reply "I've been doing it for years with no problems". I've been driving for years and haven't died in a car wreck. Doesn't mean it might not ever happen.

I put 4 straps on my zero turn mower or RTV when either (or both ) is on my flatbed. One at each corner. I frequently see zero turns with zero straps, or best case with one strap thrown over the floor board of the mower.
Why not 10 chains? 12?

There is a reason they make all the laws (lord knows we have enough of them). The DOT ALWAYS erres on the side of caution. If they say two will do you can be SURE 2 will do. 4 done wrong is much less effective than 2 done right.

Use as many as you want, just make sure at least 2 of them are on there right.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If 2 is the legal requirement, they BOTH better be RATED as per DOT rules AND tagged as such !!
I've got 3-4 versions of 1" web rachet straps, anywhere from 300# to 1200# and they all look pretty much the same. I've also got some 3/8" chain here. 'regular' and 'extra heavy duty'. They look the same ( hay..it's 3/8" chain right ??) The good stuff WILL pull a semitractor from a ditch, the other stuff don't.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
If 2 is the legal requirement, they BOTH better be RATED as per DOT rules AND tagged as such !!
I've got 3-4 versions of 1" web rachet straps, anywhere from 300# to 1200# and they all look pretty much the same. I've also got some 3/8" chain here. 'regular' and 'extra heavy duty'. They look the same ( hay..it's 3/8" chain right ??) The good stuff WILL pull a semitractor from a ditch, the other stuff don't.
For whatever reason the 5/16 grade 70 I purchased is tagged, and on the tag it states “not for overhead lifting”. Good thing I can’t lift anything over my head with my bx lol

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If 2 is the legal requirement, they BOTH better be RATED as per DOT rules

Very true and,

If 4 is the legal requirement, they ALL better be RATED as per DOT rules
If 6 is the legal requirement, they ALL better be RATED as per DOT rules

etc. etc. etc.