Tractor Sputtered and Dies

charlestark2359

Equipment
2016 Kubota B2650
Feb 5, 2023
Marlette, MI
Was operating the tractor today (2016 B2650 ROPS) here in Michigan and it engine began to stop. I was able to start it up again and it ran for a few moments then died again. Later that day I put some fuel in it thinking maybe it was too low on fuel as I think the fuel guage and the actual amount of fuel are not exactly in sync.

Tried starting it again and seemed like the batter was dead. So I put a small battery pack on it and it did fire up for a few moments and started running. I took the battery pack off and shortly after this the tractor died. I am charging my battery pack as I used most of it up doing this. I will test again tomorrow with the battery pack to see if it dies when I remove it. If it is the alternator, is there a dash light that comes on?

Do you think it's the battery or possibly the alternator? Fuel filter was changed about 9 months ago.

Also, I don't see any lights come on the dash that indicate any battery issue.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Charles

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing I would check is battery connections - especially the ground lead to the battery and frame.

Second - I would check all fuel related parts - filters, hoses, and maybe fuel gelling.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
My first thought is pull the fuel filter. Could have ice in it.
Been there, seen that.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A bad / dead battery will not allow the tractor to run regardless of the alternator state.
have the battery load tested at an automotive store if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself.

And yes water in the fuel can cause issues too.

Reactions: 1 users

charlestark2359

Equipment
2016 Kubota B2650
Feb 5, 2023
Marlette, MI
A bad / dead battery will not allow the tractor to run regardless of the alternator state.
have the battery load tested at an automotive store if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself.

And yes water in the fuel can cause issues too.

Not sure how to update this thread. But I was able to switch out the battery today. Autozone said it was bad after testing it. So I got a replacement at a Kubota dealer. Surprisingly it was cheaper than the autoparts store.

I noticed in the clear fuel filter that when I tried starting the tractor it would empty the fuel filter. So I discovered the fuel could not keep up with the demand.

So I drained the tank while putting a little air pressure back and forth to make sure anything got cleared out. Once I put everything back I added some fresh fuel and it was able to start and ran for some time. I did not have much fuel left so I only added a little bit of fuel. The tractor began to shut off now and then and it continued to do that. I'm hoping that I just didn't have enough fuel, and will attempt that tomorrow. I am also wondering if there might be a bit of air in it?

Will report back tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I'm not familiar with the shape of your fuel tank on the b2650. If you can, try to look to the bottom with a flash light. It's surprising what you can find.
I cleaned mine a few years ago, the tractor was 16 years owned by a landscaping company. There was about 1/4" of silt in the bottom, a few jerrycan spouts, and a few seal caps(maybe from diesel conditioner). The silt never showed up in the filter but once I disturbed it, I didn't have a choice but to remove it and wash it out.

I'm sure yours wont be that bad but could be something blocking full flow.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Just searching for the exact same issue and found this thread.
Was operating the tractor today (2016 B2650 ROPS) here in Michigan and it engine began to stop. I was able to start it up again and it ran for a few moments then died again. Later that day I put some fuel in it thinking maybe it was too low on fuel as I think the fuel guage and the actual amount of fuel are not exactly in sync.

Tried starting it again and seemed like the batter was dead. So I put a small battery pack on it and it did fire up for a few moments and started running. I took the battery pack off and shortly after this the tractor died. I am charging my battery pack as I used most of it up doing this. I will test again tomorrow with the battery pack to see if it dies when I remove it. If it is the alternator, is there a dash light that comes on?

Do you think it's the battery or possibly the alternator? Fuel filter was changed about 9 months ago.

Also, I don't see any lights come on the dash that indicate any battery issue.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Charles

Hi Charles,

Any update on your solution?

Mine literally just started doing exactly what you describe.

Dave
Yelm, WA

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Just searching for the exact same issue and found this thread.

Hi Charles,

Any update on your solution?

Mine literally just started doing exactly what you describe.

Dave
Yelm, WA

UPDATE:

Turned out to be a partial obstruction at the fuel filter feed line......

10 min fix.....

Back to work for me!

Attachments

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
UPDATE:

Turned out to be a partial obstruction at the fuel filter feed line......

10 min fix.....

Back to work for me!

Got the addition foundation dig-out done after my little fuel filter issue this afternoon. :)

Attachments