Tractor shopping in TN for MX5800 HST

Trek

Jul 2, 2019
Lenoir City, TN
Hi All,

I am a new forum member from TN, and shopping for a new 2019 MX5800 HST, Industrial Tires, FEL with HD bucket, HD Box Blade, HD Bush Hog and Backhoe. I have a lot of rock, tree removal, road maintenance and brush clearing, in slightly hilly terrain, so this is the reasoning behind selecting the MX5800. I also looked at the Kioti and Massey Ferguson brands, but am unconvinced they would suit my needs as well as well as the MX5800 and maintain resale value.

With that said, I have not been able to find much of a discount from local dealers on the MX5800, and the manufacturer incentives are not what I had hoped for. Therefore, I have decided to expand my market research to the surrounding states. There is no immediate rush on the tractor purchase, but the goal is to complete the purchase before winter. I noticed other forum members were coming away with some decent deals in AL, and would appreciate anyone sharing competitive dealer zip codes, so I might zero in on the best locations for my tractor search.

Last edited:

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Hi All,

I am a new forum member from TN, and shopping for a new 2019 MX5800 HST, Industrial Tires, FEL with HD bucket, HD Box Blade, HD Bush Hog and Backhoe. I have a lot of rock, tree removal, road maintenance and brush clearing, in slightly hilly terrain, so this is the reasoning behind selecting the MX5800. I also looked at the Kioti and Massey Ferguson brands, but am unconvinced they would suit my needs as well as well as the MX5800 and maintain resale value.

With that said, I have not been able to find much of a discount from local dealers on the MX5800, and the manufacturer incentives are not what I had hoped for. Therefore, I have decided to expand my market research to the surrounding states. There is no immediate rush on the tractor purchase, but the goal is to complete the purchase before winter. I noticed other forum members were coming away with some decent deals in AL, and would appreciate anyone sharing competitive dealer zip codes, so I might zero in on the best locations for my tractor search.
We are in North AL and just went through an MX5800 buying search.

There are Kubota dealers everywhere. For under 100 hp, this is Kubota, MF, JD and occasionally Mahindra country. Lots of people have older tractors. Rarely see these other brands people talk about like Kioti, LS, etc. and the dealers are far from us (nearest LS dealer is 60 miles away- there are 4 Kubota dealers in a 40 mile radius of here, 2 that are less than 15 miles)

Kubota pricing, IMHO, in this order:

Blount 35121

Fouts 35953

Snead 35960

Dixie 35058

Talladega 35160

Beshears and Cahaba were higher than the above and seemed more geared to the wealthier hobby farmer buyer.

For Mahindra or Massey, I am told Fredericks 35603 or Foothills 35960 have the lowest price.

Inventories are low all over as this is the end of their busy time of the year, and sales are great with this economy.

There is no sales tax in Alabama for an out of state purchaser- just list an out of state address on the BOS

With what you have described (BH), I am guessing you are seeing prices in the $40,000 range?

ShortMagFan

Equipment
MX5800HST
Jun 1, 2016
N/S Carolina
Hi All,

Wilson tractor in Newberry, SC. Ask for Wendell. He’s given the best deal to several people I know that have bought 5800s and various implements

Trek

Jul 2, 2019
Lenoir City, TN
Cathy,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Hope you and your family had a happy July 4th.

I am early on in the tractor research process, and as I am sure many of us have experienced, it is often easier to spend more than less on a tractor. My pricing numbers are coming back in the mid to high 40's, and unfortunately that is not in my budget. I need the backhoe, but might have to wait on that item and delay some projects. A grapple looks like a attractive add on, but then I have to add a 3rd function value and possibly other items. I have determined that the trailers included in the tractor packages I have looked at so far leave a lot to be desired, as do many of the low grade implements. As you mentioned, in many locations dealer inventory is low, so that certainly hinders the buying process.

We are in North AL and just went through an MX5800 buying search.

There are Kubota dealers everywhere. For under 100 hp, this is Kubota, MF, JD and occasionally Mahindra country. Lots of people have older tractors. Rarely see these other brands people talk about like Kioti, LS, etc. and the dealers are far from us (nearest LS dealer is 60 miles away- there are 4 Kubota dealers in a 40 mile radius of here, 2 that are less than 15 miles)

Kubota pricing, IMHO, in this order:

Blount 35121

Fouts 35953

Snead 35960

Dixie 35058

Talladega 35160

Beshears and Cahaba were higher than the above and seemed more geared to the wealthier hobby farmer buyer.

For Mahindra or Massey, I am told Fredericks 35603 or Foothills 35960 have the lowest price.

Inventories are low all over as this is the end of their busy time of the year, and sales are great with this economy.

There is no sales tax in Alabama for an out of state purchaser- just list an out of state address on the BOS

With what you have described (BH), I am guessing you are seeing prices in the $40,000 range?

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
Re: Tractor shopping in TN DOOLEY TRACTOR

Dooley Tractor is better choice than the dealer in Chattennogga but not by much. Dooley sales team is great BUT getting service done correctly is another issue. No experience with Chattannooga dealer service.
Wishing I went to Snead in Northern Alabama, heard Lots a positive comments about them.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Good information. From what I understand, there is a lot to look out for on the package deals, but you can request upgrades at additional cost for medium to HD implements. Glad I am in no rush to purchase, so I have time to sort everything out.
Two upgrades that I would call "non-negotiable" would be:

- SSQA FEL; period, don't even bother

- All 3ph implements fit a Quick Hitch. At $20K,$25K,$30K, yea, I'd bring a $100 QH and make sure they all fit it.

Compared to these two, tractor color is virtually irrelevant.

Trek

Jul 2, 2019
Lenoir City, TN
Two upgrades that I would call "non-negotiable" would be:

- SSQA FEL; period, don't even bother

- All 3ph implements fit a Quick Hitch. At $20K,$25K,$30K, yea, I'd bring a $100 QH and make sure they all fit it.

Compared to these two, tractor color is virtually irrelevant.
Agree, those are all must have implements. Thank you for your feedback.

Trek

Jul 2, 2019
Lenoir City, TN

Dooley Tractor is better choice than the dealer in Chattennogga but not by much. Dooley sales team is great BUT getting service done correctly is another issue. No experience with Chattannooga dealer service.
Wishing I went to Snead in Northern Alabama, heard Lots a positive comments about them.
Thank you for your dealer feedback. I will certainly be contacting both the Dooley and Snead dealerships.

Digitalman

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2019
Smyrna, TN

I purchased a B2601 package deal from Snead in Alabama. This was 2 months ago. Was it a new tractor? Yes. Was it the 2019 model? No. This was never mentioned to me. I took home what I thought was the newest model. I have not had even a follow up email or phone call to see if I am a happy customer. I drove all the way from Smyrna, TN. When the deal was done and I was ready to tow the package home, neither the tractor nor-the implements were secured to the trailer that was also part of the package deal. They said they do not provide the straps. I was never told to bring any straps. The communication from my salesman was very poor.

Buyer beware! Make sure you are really getting what you are paying for. Ask lots of questions. I wish I did.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee

I just spent about two weeks online finding the best price on a new L2501. After I had an idea what a good price was, I called Dooley Tractor and explained to them what I was looking for and the cheapest price I could find online. They were able to get within a few hundred dollars of the cheapest price I found. I have bought from Dooley in the past and never had a problem with any warranty issues. I am going down Monday or Tuesday and buy it from them. Will let you know how it goes.

Trek

Jul 2, 2019
Lenoir City, TN

You certainly can’t ask too many questions, as well as take enough notes on a tractor purchase. For sure there are a lot of new, but not current year tractors setting on dealer lots. It’s unfortunate your sales person and Snead Tractor did not meet your expectations.

I purchased a B2601 package deal from Snead in Alabama. This was 2 months ago. Was it a new tractor? Yes. Was it the 2019 model? No. This was never mentioned to me. I took home what I thought was the newest model. I have not had even a follow up email or phone call to see if I am a happy customer. I drove all the way from Smyrna, TN. When the deal was done and I was ready to tow the package home, neither the tractor nor-the implements were secured to the trailer that was also part of the package deal. They said they do not provide the straps. I was never told to bring any straps. The communication from my salesman was very poor.

Buyer beware! Make sure you are really getting what you are paying for. Ask lots of questions. I wish I did.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee

I just spent about two weeks online finding the best price on a new L2501. After I had an idea what a good price was, I called Dooley Tractor and explained to them what I was looking for and the cheapest price I could find online. They were able to get within a few hundred dollars of the cheapest price I found. I have bought from Dooley in the past and never had a problem with any warranty issues. I am going down Monday or Tuesday and buy it from them. Will let you know how it goes.
Went down yesterday and bought a new L2501 from Dooley's in Athens. Dealt with manager Larry Malone. They were very friendly, not pushy, and gave me a pretty good price. I would definitely give Larry a call before I bought one.