tractor insurance required

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
You guys that "think" your homeowners covers your tractor should get it in writing. Your agent is NOT the underwriter and will often yes, yes, yes, you when it comes to the fine.
Words to live by. The agents are salesmen trained for only the most common questions with the most generic answers. You policy is not based on what anyone has said to you - your scope of coverage lays solely in the words in the final contract coverage terminology.

Reactions: 1 user

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I have a friend that is fighting with his homeowners insurance company right now for a totaled tractor.

He left with the family for Thanksgiving. He has a big 3 sided shed that he keeps his tractor in, tools and assorted shed stuff. While they were gone, a tree fell on the shed and caught it on fire. Due to the wet conditions at the time it smoldered for days (nobody reported it, this was from the FD). He didn't even notice until after being home 3 days and it was the smell that alerted him. His house/property is about a 1/2 mile from any neighbors and his shed is on the other side of a hill from his house.

The insurance company will cover his zero turn but will NOT cover his tractor (40HP JD). It is not covered in his policy. He was sure he was covered based on talking to his agent.

You guys that "think" your homeowners covers your tractor should get it in writing. Your agent is NOT the underwriter and will often yes, yes, yes, you when it comes to the fine print. The underwriter LIVES in the fine print.

I thought I was covered by my homeowners and in some cases I am. However if I am plowing out in front of the place along the road, it is not covered. When I am cleaning along the road it isn't covered etc. And NOTHING vehicular is covered.

I ended up getting a commercial liability policy and it covers all the neighbors stuff as well as the tractor on or off the property. With it, I also don't mind helping others out.
I left an insurance company because the Agent was lied about coverage. What she said just did not add up so I inquired in writing to her regarding my coverage questions and requested she respond in writing. When she finally did the response was through her from an underwriter. I WAS NOT COVERED UNDER THE POLICY AS SHE TOLD ME VERBALLY.
She said I just misunderstood what she told me verbally.

Beware folks... if it is not in writing assume the worst!

Reactions: 1 user