tractor insurance required

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I asked my ins agent about using my tractor off my property he responded that my homeowners covered me (for both liability as well as tractor-loss) as long as I was working on the “easement” to my property, but not when completely OFF my property. However, my liabilities were covered under my umbrella policy, however the tractor was only covered for theft while ON my property. This works for me, except when I work it on my neighbors property When HE is at risk.

Brankor

Equipment
2018 - L4060
Nov 26, 2020
Sudbury Ontario
When I asked my ins agent about using my tractor off my property he responded that my homeowners covered me (for both liability as well as tractor-loss) as long as I was working on the “easement” to my property, but not when completely OFF my property. However, my liabilities were covered under my umbrella policy, however the tractor was only covered for theft while ON my property. This works for me, except when I work it on my neighbors property When HE is at risk.
Great info thanks

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I am going with Kubota insurance for my new LX3310 even though I paid the cash for it (I think kubota is most often used when financing). My homeowners on the cabin won’t help as 2/3rds of the land I will be using it on is held in trust with some family members and my HO will only cover when working on my personal acres. Plus I like that in includes damage due to my errors as a new tractor owner.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am going with Kubota insurance for my new LX3310 even though I paid the cash for it (I think kubota is most often used when financing). My homeowners on the cabin won’t help as 2/3rds of the land I will be using it on is held in trust with some family members and my HO will only cover when working on my personal acres. Plus I like that in includes damage due to my errors as a new tractor owner.
Is not that “2/3rds” all a portion of your “easement”?? (Which you have rights to cross?)

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Is not that “2/3rds” all a portion of your “easement”?? (Which you have rights to cross?)
Nope - an easement is a specific real estate term. The fact that I have an interest in other properties does not create easements on a first property.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Nope - an easement is a specific real estate term. The fact that I have an interest in other properties does not create easements on a first property.
I’m aware of the legal definition of the term. I was thinking of the land which surrounds my own on all sides, over-which my deed (since I’m completely surrounded by another ranch) give me “general access easement.”

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Got KTAC and added to my homeowners insurance. My agent said I’m covered off property. Problem is public road travel. Gotta get commercial policy for that (or so my agent says).

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Got KTAC and added to my homeowners insurance. My agent said I’m covered off property. Problem is public road travel. Gotta get commercial policy for that (or so my agent says).
Just went through this while changing insurance agents. This is what I was told. If you take the tractor off your property and say plow snow for your neighbor and get PAID to do it. The standard home owners policy will not cover your liability, tractor damage and or bodily injury. He said I would have to obtain a separate policy or add a "rider" to your existing policy.

Now.... if you are plowing neighbor's driveways, with their blessing (otherwise you'd be trespassing} and NOT getting paid or otherwise compensated MOST home owners policies will cover your liability while off your property.

I am a nervous Nellie so this is what I did. Research! Messick's has a really good You Tube video on insuring your kubotas. The information provided was found to be accurate and pretty much in lock step with what my Insurance agent was saying. Also... On You Tube GP Outdoors has a helpful video on insuring his then B2601.

I ended up letting my home owners cover me on the liability side and picked up tractor loss and accident repair through Kubota Insurance (KTAC).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I don't have a farm but own a tractor . I take the tractor on the road.
Where can I get tractor insurance --
I am in Ontario, from my understanding legally you don’t ‘need’ insurance to travel on the road. Have your SMV sign.
however, I have liability through my business policy, tractor replacement value included is around a grand a year. Wawanesa is the company it’s wrote through. Good luck

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I am also in Ontario. As Thunder chicken says, you don't need Compulsory Automobile Insurance to operate on the road, provided the unit is a "farm tractor" or a "Self-propelled Implement of Husbandry". There have been some court cases over the definitions. The Ontario definition of "farm tractor" would seem to be based on "designed" for farm work, rather than "used" for farm work but I could see a lawyer trying to argue otherwise.

I have mine covered by a rider on my home insurance. As long as I am not getting paid for work, the tractor is covered for loss and I am covered for liability.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Laws vary state by state, and country by country. All insurance is good until the day that you have a claim, and then you find out what you are and aren't covered for. Even homeowners insurance varies from one company to another. I tried to get a quote from Farmers Insurance using my present insurance policy as what type of coverage that I wanted, and the Farmers agent told me that they write insurance different from other companies, and that he couldn't do an apples to apples quote. I walked away. When it comes to insurance, I send emails with my questions, and get emails back. That way, I have a record of what is and isn't covered. Insurance companies all try their best not to pay out on big claims, and if there is any wiggle room, they will use it. Your insurance agent might be your friend, but your insurance company adjuster isn't.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Interesting. I just had a 44 square roof and gutters installed by contractors and I have Farmers Insurance. The adjuster was located in Austin, Tx. and working out of her home. She used a program they subscribe to to get an aerial view of the building. Did all work from her home because of this virus that has people restricted. I was extremely happy with her analysis, communication and payment.

Wiz

Jun 9, 2018
Dover, NH
Don't know if KTAC covers Canada but FYI even though the FAQ on their website says otherwise, they will not cover used equipment unless it was purchased from a Kubota dealer. Also, their coverages are much broader than regular policies.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just get insurance on it from where you have home owners. I have all my tractors and all the implements that can be stolen easily insured.

5 Oaks

Equipment
MX5200 HST, loader, box blade, pallet forks, ZD21 mower
Sep 21, 2019
Mims
For what its worth, I got a policy through State Farm that covers about everything including falling off the trailer on a public road. Its less than $300/yr if I remember correctly.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a friend that is fighting with his homeowners insurance company right now for a totaled tractor.

He left with the family for Thanksgiving. He has a big 3 sided shed that he keeps his tractor in, tools and assorted shed stuff. While they were gone, a tree fell on the shed and caught it on fire. Due to the wet conditions at the time it smoldered for days (nobody reported it, this was from the FD). He didn't even notice until after being home 3 days and it was the smell that alerted him. His house/property is about a 1/2 mile from any neighbors and his shed is on the other side of a hill from his house.

The insurance company will cover his zero turn but will NOT cover his tractor (40HP JD). It is not covered in his policy. He was sure he was covered based on talking to his agent.

You guys that "think" your homeowners covers your tractor should get it in writing. Your agent is NOT the underwriter and will often yes, yes, yes, you when it comes to the fine print. The underwriter LIVES in the fine print.

I thought I was covered by my homeowners and in some cases I am. However if I am plowing out in front of the place along the road, it is not covered. When I am cleaning along the road it isn't covered etc. And NOTHING vehicular is covered.

I ended up getting a commercial liability policy and it covers all the neighbors stuff as well as the tractor on or off the property. With it, I also don't mind helping others out.