Tractor detailing?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Have you ever had your tractor detailed, or done it yourself?

Our neighbor has asked my son to detail their tractor in preparation to sell it - he's wondering what would be expected for him to do.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I would guess everyones experience will differ and a lot would depend on the tractor.
I purchased a Kubota later model B7100 hsd that had about 825 hours on it. What I did was first to wash it as best I could with a hose and soapy water. Then I went into all the small crevices and nooks and crannies that dirt/grease/oil can accumulate with a squirt bottle of cleaner and paper towels. That included the engine and under the hood etc. It was time consuming and perhaps a power washer would have been more efficient but I was enjoying the process.
I then used a rubber conditioner on the hoses, tires etc.
I removed the battery and gave that area a good scrub, cleaned the battery and the terminals good.
I used touch up paint in a few areas, foot rests, battery strap down , some places around rops bar etc. I also repainted the air filter canister and muffler heat shroud.
After all that I gave all the metal a good coat of wax. Hood, side panels, fenders, wheels.

It was a lot of time consuming work but it was a good way for me to learn the tractor and the results were worth it for me at least. Somewhere I have before and after pictures. As it was sitting at the dealer used equipment lot , and right after detailing. The difference was remarkable.

Reactions: 1 users

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Sounds like Ken has the basics covered.

My question would be, what kind of shape is the tractor in currently and what are their expectations? Never been washed and expecting it too look like new again?

I did detailing when I was young. Had an uncle that would pay me to detail his cars, i was never able to detail them to his satisfaction, never! Good experience for me overall and it could be for your son too.

I use spray wax on mine once I heard others in here using it but that doesn’t answer your question.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I hose/spray mine down, sometimes use car wash detergent on the body panels.

Haven't waxed it although many do.

It's not your son's concern, but if I was a prospective buyer of that tractor, I wouldn't like to see too much cleanliness.....

I want to see some dust/dirt, and where leaks or drips could be...or not..

I want to see some grease where grease belongs....

Make everything too clean and it takes that analysis away....and makes me think someone is trying to hide something.

I’ve had to look for cars with/for my kids several times.

If I ever saw a pressure washed engine, I move on the the next car.

When selling something, clean is always good.

Too clean can be really bad sometimes if you want me to buy it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

It's not your son's concern, but if I was a prospective buyer of that tractor, I wouldn't like to see too much cleanliness.....

Make everything too clean and it takes that analysis away....and makes me think someone is trying to hide something.

I agree to some extent because I got burned somewhat on a tractor purchase. It all worked out in the end I suppose. The 1976 John Deere 2030 I bought from a fellow had a new oil filter and of course, new oil. Only later did I realize that coolant was getting into the oil. I would probably never buy a diesel with pretty clean oil in it. ;)

I did not pay much for the tractor and I was prepared to rebuild it, but the coolant leaking in the oil stopped and I haven't had a problem since.

However, I think a clean tractor will in general attract interest for many though, and for people like RCW and me, less so.😁

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
To me detailing means having maintenance records and receipts of all work done. I want to know what dealer sold the tractor when new or used. I want to inspect under the engine cover, remove the cowling and inspect for leaks and worn hoses and fittings. I want to look at screw and bolt heads for stripped out heads or if any bolts appear to be loose. I want to check if fluid levels are right and test air pressure in all tires.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a detailed inspection of all items concerning mechanical integrity. As RCW alluded, if it is shiny and waxed, it would mean to me that something was being hidden. After all, it is a work machine. It should look like a well maintained work machine, not a showroom shiny trinket.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Here watch this he does one heck of a job on it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I usually clean my tractor in the Spring and in the Fall. It gets a good washing and wax. I check the various bolts/nuts that need to be tightened/torqued then. It allows me to really look over the tractor without all the dirt and such being in the way to see if there is any hidden problems I've been missing. Usually at that time if I have any scratches, I touch them up with paint at one of those times. I figure I have invested a large sum of money into my equipment, so I try to take care of it.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I would think most people would think that detailing would be to clean and wax everything... I would find out how much he's paying and let him know that at that price, just the outside gets washed and waxed. Removal of all grease marks would cost extra. As would cleaning the engine to a certain level.

Is this going to be pressure washer, hand washed? Detailing to me means Waxing the tractor and a pretty high level of clean.

How spotless does the neighbor expect things? I would find this out beforehand. I know people who expect spotless but want to pay only pennies on the dollar...

And show us before and after photos... I might have his next detailing job (just kidding, I never clean my tractor, unless leaving it outside when it rains count!)

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.

We pressure washed the engine bay of every car that got traded in at the dealership I worked at as a kid, they just looked better that way and I’d get my butt chewed if we didn’t do it.

I get what you’re saying though, with a tractor that’s been used I would expect it not to be perfect.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Maybe I should have him practice on mine first :)

Thanks for all the input! I'm pointing him directly to this thread to read all your advice

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I'll just add that $100 (WAY back when we did "detail" our vehicles) was good. Not sure what a tractor would be or what I would pay to have my tractor detailed. If I was selling, a “Benny" sounds about right (which means, that was good 20 years ago :ROFLMAO: :LOL:)

What would everyone pay (just to see if I'm out of touch!?)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I agree to some extent because I got burned somewhat on a tractor purchase. It all worked out in the end I suppose. The 1976 John Deere 2030 I bought from a fellow had a new oil filter and of course, new oil. Only later did I realize that coolant was getting into the oil. I would probably never buy a diesel with pretty clean oil in it. ;)

I did not pay much for the tractor and I was prepared to rebuild it, but the coolant leaking in the oil stopped and I haven't had a problem since.

However, I think a clean tractor will in general attract interest for many though, and for people like RCW and me, less so.😁
I understand your position. If they are repainted its not so good. Around here they refer to that as an "Italian Overhaul".

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I understand your position. If they are repainted its not so good. Around here they refer to that as an "Italian Overhaul".
I would use that money to buy a new implement. $100.00 to detail a tractor seems real steep to me.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
$100 was the going rate “back in the day”.
I’d say if the neighbors aren’t hurting for money I would charge them $100. If they’re selling the tractor due to needing the money I’d charge them much less. Again, it would depend on their expectations. Your sons time is valuable, even if he doesn’t realize it, yet!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The video is fun to watch. But looking at the lift arms and other workign parts...that tractor looks like a demonstrator someone threw mud/dirt on to wash off just to video..... no scratches or paint missing on the lift arms means that tractor has not really been used at all.

At any rate, if a pressure washer is used on a tractor it should be greased and serviced afterwards to drive the water back out of the pins, etc.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Your sons time is valuable, even if he doesn’t realize it, yet!
I've been teaching him that, and he seems to have learned pretty well. His going "freelance" rate is $15/hr, not too shabby at 19 & still in college. He does all sorts of stuff, from yardwork to custom (computer) programming. And he doesn't like to sit idle...

I think I'll have him suggest a "once over" as well, with a basic fluid check and greasing as well.

It appears this is an inheritance situation - their father lived in the neighboring house and passed a few months ago, and apparently they never use it.

I'm also going to have him check out implements, as suggested, in case there's anything I'm looking for...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We pressure washed the engine bay of every car that got traded in at the dealership I worked at as a kid, they just looked better that way and I’d get my butt chewed if we didn’t do it.

I get what you’re saying though, with a tractor that’s been used I would expect it not to be perfect.
Ben, point taken. I know it’s a standard practice in many circumstances. I don’t doubt you got chewed for skipping the step!! :oops::oops: (y)

My mention is a tangent from random’s thread but I couldn’t resist......

random, for a good buck it’s good work for your son and he’ll learn more about tractors!(y)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when I worked at the dealer, that dealer was RIGHT next to a residential neighborhood. One of the places in the neighborhood had a 14 year old boy who had some issues, but he was very very GOOD at detailing vehicles--the shop truck went over there once a year and they paid him pretty good to do both trucks. Well one afternoon he shows up with his dad and asks if he could do any trucks. Well sure you can do mine, then I asked him if he could clean up a tractor. Him and his dad said they'd talk about it. A couple years later they show up and they said that they'd started a halfway detail shop out of the house and that he could do mobile detailing on our vehicles since it was basically right next door. We kept him busy with customer's tractors. I mean not all of them, some guys couldn't care less about their tractors and it showed, we'd just blow the big stuff off and let them go at that. The ones who requested cleaning? Yeah they went to the detail "shop" (3 bay building where they used to store stuff, got turned into a detail shop). Guy did a wonderful job and didn't charge much for the amount of work he did, and we always got rave reviews from customers. He charged $45 to detail the bigger stuff we worked on which was max 100hp, M series. Majority was turf and a LOT of L series. Surprisingly, quite a few people asked to have their stuff cleaned up before delivering it back to them. I moved on to other career but that kid is still detailing vehicles both out of his house and at the shop part time. Like I said he's got issues such that he really can't work a physical or mentally challenging job but detailing is what he loves to do, a little OCD. I think he has autism but I am not sure. Great job for him and he does a great job doing it--takes a lot of pride and it shows.

point being, look around a little there's a possibility that you might find someone who needs an extra buck or two, pay them and enjoy a little free time to yourself...or spend a little extra time with a family member.