Tractor choice

Cpmm4m4

Equipment
To be determined
May 12, 2021
Flushing Mi
I'm looking to purchase my first tractor and I keep going back and forth between a bx 2380 and a b2301. My property is kinda small, .7 acre lot, it's relatively flat and mostly clear of trees. I wouldnt mind using the tractor to make some extra side money. My uncle is trying to persuade me into going with the b2301 but I just think it's gonna be a bit big to mow on such a small lot. I would love to hear what others have to say on what would be the better pick for me.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You listed mowing as your primary need, but what other things are you looking at doing with the tractor?

If mowing is the primary, not bush hogging, then you are most likely better off getting a zero turn.

Yet, if you are looking at bush hogging, digging, rototilling, etc., then that makes a tractor a more feasible option.

Tractors are great multipurpose tools, but just like a multipurpose tool, you will usually fine a sole purpose tool that completes the task better.

Cpmm4m4

Equipment
To be determined
May 12, 2021
Flushing Mi
You listed mowing as your primary need, but what other things are you looking at doing with the tractor?

If mowing is the primary, not bush hogging, then you are most likely better off getting a zero turn.

Yet, if you are looking at bush hogging, digging, rototilling, etc., then that makes a tractor a more feasible option.

Tractors are great multipurpose tools, but just like a multipurpose tool, you will usually fine a sole purpose tool that completes the task better.
I will be doing some driveway grading with a box blade and snow removal with push box on fel. I have quit a few uses for the fel. But nothing that is really heavy. No bush hogging or large tilling in the near future. I do want to get a pto generator also.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
The tasks you need to accomplish determine the size of the machine.

Maybe list off the stuff you need/want to do with your machine. I do get it’s hard to think of everything or plan for everything, but that’s ok. Get the tractor that’ll be really good at doing 80-90% stuff you want it to do. Don’t upsize for some theoretical task you might do some day and compromise (performance or budget) the stuff you do daily.

Another option could be the John Deere 1025R. It’s sort of between the BX and B series Kubotas.

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
It sounds like the BX would fit your needs and plans very well.

Mike

Cpmm4m4

Equipment
To be determined
May 12, 2021
Flushing Mi
It sounds like the BX would fit your needs and plans very well.

Mike
Thanks Mike. That's what I was thinking but you know how everyone is always saying bigger is better. I kinda feel like the extra money could be put towards implements that would allow me to do more. I keep hearing your gonna regret it if you go to small. I drove a bx23s and it felt like a little tank to me.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The B is quite a bit larger, but also has 3 ranges instead of 2. You don’t say if your property is level or not, but if it isn’t a zero turn isn’t a good choice. The B2301 will be better at everything except being small and being lower to the ground.

Resale value is a consideration as well since nobody trades up to a BX since it is the starting point although I guess some people get a smaller one.

This is a pretty complete explanation from Neil Messicks from Messicks equipment. https://www.messicks.com/blog/kubota-bx-series-vs-b-series

Reactions: 1 user

Cpmm4m4

Equipment
To be determined
May 12, 2021
Flushing Mi
The B is quite a bit larger, but also has 3 ranges instead of 2. You don’t say if your property is level or not, but if it isn’t a zero turn isn’t a good choice. The B2301 will be better at everything except being small and being lower to the ground.

Resale value is a consideration as well since nobody trades up to a BX since it is the starting point although I guess some people get a smaller one.

This is a pretty complete explanation from Neil Messicks from Messicks equipment. https://www.messicks.com/blog/kubota-bx-series-vs-b-series
Property is really flat except for the ditch. But I cut that with a string trimmer. I can get a really good deal on a used county clipper zero turn I know it will mow faster but im looking to just have one machine to take care of and store.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
The BX or John Deere 1025R sound like the right fit. Tractor Tim With Tim on YouTube did a multi video review/comparison of those two machines. Might be worth watching.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The BX or John Deere 1025R sound like the right fit. Tractor Tim With Tim on YouTube did a multi video review/comparison of those two machines. Might be worth watching.
I don’t think his comparison was false, but I feel those are two different classes just like the B would have won had he compared the B to the 1025R. Still, if you want something between the BX and B, the 1025R is that.

Good Works Tractor compared the Bs to the 1025R. If you want to know those differences, you could watch his video.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'll go the other way on the advice. I had a BX and went to a B. We have a bit under an acre that I mow on our property, it's flat. But, like you, I do things off our property, and I use the FEL and 3ph for stuff.

The BX is the smallest real tractor you can buy. I believe it's deliberately sized so guys can buy a tractor without their wife going "hang on, that's a tractor." So it looks like a large ride on more than a small tractor.

But, the front wheels are a bit too small to take a lot of load - if you lift a lot with the loader you can flatten them. It's also hard on a relatively small front axle. The rear wheels aren't large enough to get height, and the overall machine is deliberately low. So the 3ph doesn't have the range of motion you'd normally have - it doesn't go high enough and doesn't go low enough. And the geometry on it means it lifts a lot less than you'd expect.

In short, a BX is massively more useful than a ride on mower, but it's quite compromised as a tractor. The B2301 is essentially the same size on the ground - basically the same length and width - but taller with bigger wheels. There's also not much difference in price. But there's a lot of difference in capability - the 3ph lifts double as much, the loader lifts 30% more. It runs at 2800 rpm instead of 3300 and with a bit more capacity, so it doesn't sound like it's screaming away quite so much and it has more torque (it's still a small motor, so it's still running a lot faster than say an L2501).

A B2301 will turn in the same space (it has split brakes), but in terms of not marking your turf, probably turns a bit worse. But I went from a 54 inch deck on my BX to a 60 inch on the B, and I can actually cut into tighter corners because the mower deck sticks out further - I have curves on my decking and I used to scratch the decking timber with the rims on the BX when I wasn't careful, whereas the B is a good couple inches away from the decking cutting the same curve.

If you're going places around the neighbourhood to work for others, the B top speed is a lot faster than the BX - because it has that 3 range gearbox. Driving a mile down the road on a BX would be super painful, but doable on a B.

If you're planning to do some work for hire, then the B will be able to do a lot more. Also, a B allows you to add a backhoe at a later date, whereas a BX you buy a whole new machine (too hard to add a backhoe unless it came with one). If you're planning to do work for hire you may find you want a backhoe at some point. And the position control instead of inching valve is worth a bit if you're doing 3ph work (with that box blade).

I will say that the whole work for hire thing often sounds like a story guys tell their wives in order to buy a tractor. It's not clear how often it really happens. I've never pretended I'd do work for pay. I do lots of stuff to help neighbours, I mow our roadside for a good distance either way (neighbours are old, none of them really up to doing it any more), and I mow and maintain a few acres of local reserve land. So I'm getting plenty of use from the machine, and the B is much better at those tasks than the BX was. But I'm clear I spent that money so I could have a hobby, not because it was going to make money for us.

One thing to watch out for is that I do think the B cuts up the lawn a little more if I'm not careful. It's a bit heavier (like 15%), but bigger wheels mean similar ground pressure. But in 4WD it does seem to scuff the grass more - I generally don't run in 4WD unless I really need it.

When I was looking to upgrade (I looked for about 2 years) I made this table, which is still pretty up-to-date:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks Mike. That's what I was thinking but you know how everyone is always saying bigger is better. I kinda feel like the extra money could be put towards implements that would allow me to do more. I keep hearing your gonna regret it if you go to small. I drove a bx23s and it felt like a little tank to me.
You’re welcome!

I did buy too small. I may have even bought too small with my current tractor...depends on the situation and planned usage.

However, if you don’t plan on moving/buying a larger piece of property and your current needs don’t change, the BX is the best bang for the buck in your situation.

Mike

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
FWIW I haven’t seen anyone on this site making a thread that starts out “man I bought too big a tractor” but there are constantly people wanting advice on up sizing.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
FWIW I haven’t seen anyone on this site making a thread that starts out “man I bought too big a tractor” but there are constantly people wanting advice on up sizing.
I do kind of wonder sometimes. I wanted the Cat II since I already had some Cat II stuff. This week I'm using my Dad's JD 790, and although it feels like a riding mower, I could probably get most of my stuff done with that. But, I'd need smaller implements. I guess if I was starting fresh I could be talked into a smaller tractor (since I wouldn't already have the implements). My Kubota is much more nimble/maneuverable than my JD 3020. It's the size and agility of my Ford 4000 but the HST let's me use the snowblower and box blade that the Ford couldn't handle.

Last edited: