Tracker Carrier for old man

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
For the members who do amazing work re-powering and re-designing golf carts, I would like to suggest a different challenge to you.

I live in a rural area and simple things like crossing a muddy field to visit my brother are becoming increasingly difficult.

In a Princess Auto store in Ottawa Canada there has been a walk behind tracked carrier on display.

It looks very similar to this product.

At my Kubota dealer, there is a much more elaborate machine on tracks.

I do not need material hauling capability. I just need to get me across muddy fields and snow covered fields reliably.

I cannot afford the Kubota product and don't know the cost of a walk behind yet.

My vision would be to modify the walk behind into a ride on unit

Has anyone considered making a person hauler along these lines?

I don't want to buy a used serious swamp crossing machine as I no longer can do the physical repairs.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
For old-man mobility I got a used 4wd RTV. Fast enough, goes anywhere, cheap to buy and carries a load.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I do not need material hauling capability. I just need to get me across muddy fields and snow covered fields reliably.
I cannot afford the Kubota product and don't know the cost of a walk behind yet.
Go for one of these NOW!
https://montreal.craigslist.ca/hvo/d/kubota-rtv-x1100c-deisel/6472707040.html

Dave_eng said:
My vision would be to modify the walk behind into a ride on unit.
This will cost time and money and lead to a mediocre product.
Lets say you have 20 years use for it, get one of these NOW and make the next 20 years easy, and I'm sure you'll get a lot more use out of it than just going to your brothers place, plus it's warm and dry ALL the time.
Divide the cost over 20 years and it'll cost $3 a day.
Make it 30 and it's down to $2. No point in taking money to the grave with you.

Dave_eng said:
I don't want to buy a used serious swamp crossing machine as I no longer can do the physical repairs
Hopefully there won't be too many repairs with a quality product, as we all get older we lose the ability to repair our own machines and have to farm it out at some stage. Plus a lot of repairs are related to the way someone treats the product, so I'm guessing you'll not abuse it and get reasonable life from it. As your mobility or dexterity wanes, utilizing and aid "early" is better than getting it 5 years after you really needed it, and you went downhill in those 5 years at a greater rate of knots than had you utilized the aid before you needed it. Go and get one Dave, once you get it you'll be surprised how much it can help you! I can just imagine you heading out across the muddy field in a modified dumper and see you in the mud, dumper on it's side! Don't muck around, do it YESTERDAY!

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
A 4x4 ATV won’t get you there? For sheer reliability something like a Honda Rancher would probably fit the bill nicely. Clean used units can be had in the $3-4k range.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The six wheeled vehicles are pretty nice and can float if needed. They can be converted to have tracks over the tires. They can also have soft cabs to keep dry. They are a mechanical wonderland of chains and gears and fairly easy to maintain. The engine is usually a gas lawnmower type engine and I think that some are diesel option.

The only two problems I have with mine is that you have to get into it which gets more awkward the older you get. Eventually I can see a set of steps or a platform needed. Second is they are skid steering so tend to tear up the grass if you turn at low speed.

Mine is a Recreative Max that can carry two people. They have a truck version also with a dump bed. In Canada I think Argo is popular with similar models and may be 8 wheeled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think 100 td has the best solution. Two additional arguments for it 1. If you go in for a cup of coffee your transport keeps your seat dry with a cab while it is parked outside. 2. It will keep its value so that you can sell it in say 10 years if you no longer need it. It may be a safer investment for your savings than the stock market.:rolleyes:

I depend on my dealer's tech for service for my tractors because the arthritis in my hands makes them fairly useless, and it has not been all that expensive. It beats not being able to keep up my farm at all.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Just noticed they come with 4 tires/rims as well, and gps for when the dementia creeps in and you need to follow the track to get back home! Pro heat diesel heater, I'm guessing it's a real McCoy diesel powered heater, not just from engine, just think, -4C plus wind chill, -10C, warm as toast in one of these................

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
For the members who do amazing work re-powering and re-designing golf carts, I would like to suggest a different challenge to you.

I live in a rural area and simple things like crossing a muddy field to visit my brother are becoming increasingly difficult.

In a Princess Auto store in Ottawa Canada there has been a walk behind tracked carrier on display.

It looks very similar to this product.

At my Kubota dealer, there is a much more elaborate machine on tracks.

My vision would be to modify the walk behind into a ride on unit

Has anyone considered making a person hauler along these lines?

I don't want to buy a used serious swamp crossing machine as I no longer can do the physical repairs.

Dave
I had a look at the machine at Princess Auto today. I don't think it would be difficult to make it into a people carrier. The biggest problem would be the placement of the gear shifter,

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks eserve and others.

Now to convince my adult children what I should get for my birthday.

As far as heat, I just bought a Buddy Heater for my friend with a B7100.

Runs on 1# propane cylinder which you can refill from a 20# cylinder.
No power required lights up with a piezo spark thing the same as barbecues.

When I was much younger and working under vehicles in the winter outside, this heater would have been great.

Amazing even on low how nice 4,000 BTU are when pointed at your fingers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-F23...8&qid=1518921532&sr=8-1&keywords=buddy+heater

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
This is the actual machine at Princess Auto https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/660-lb-power-wheelbarrow/A-p8724981e

I bought a 1000 LB hydraulic table there today. They have them on sale till the end of the month. I already have a hydraulic table but it is only rated for 600Lbs so is a little stressed when I put M tractor transmissions on it!!
Eserv

That is why I could not find it on their web site. Never thought to search for power wheel barrow.

196 cc engine, I expected bigger.

Also the transmission must involve some old automatic transmission type clutches as they don't want anyone using a synthetic oil. They need clutch plates sticking together. Use a gear oil is the requirement.

Maybe it is just me but when I buy some of their hydraulic stuff, I buy a seal kit at the same time. :)

I have a press and a floor jack from Princess neither of which see a lot of use, and they are always leaking. It is impossible to find better stuff at the low prices they offer. The floor around my press is always an oily mess.

Does the hydraulic table have a safety lock of some kind that looks like it will do the job?

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Here's what you want!

Well it is a Kubota forum, lets bring it home with this one.

Wolfman , eserv and others.

You guys have opened my eye!!.

The choices already on the market for the disabled are amazing machines. There is no need for me to re invent the wheel. Unfortunately, modern wars are likely the driving forces behind these innovative products.

When my disabled mother-in-law was still alive, I felt quite innovative by attaching a hardwood chair to a fridge cart so I could easily move her up and down stairs smoothly. Even had a seat belt.

It must be very rewarding for the product developers to see young and old get so much more out of their lives just being easily able to get out in nature.

Dave