Towable Backhoe

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I think someone with the fab skills is absolutely justified to buy a 3k or less towable and convert it to a BRAND NEW tractor backhoe with a free hydraulic power pack (lol), vs waiting around for a worn out one that already fits but needs other metalwork anyway to not be a piece of crap, or paying 6k for new. It doesn't sound crazy at all to me!

But then, using it the way it is isn't crazy either. I'm just being an enabler to fellow 'i have to modify everything i touch' types.. :)
I am with you. I would be interested to see one converted. Heck, if someone did it and did a decent job I may even be convinced to pay them to convert mine. The biggest drawback I have found so far with this one is the mobility issue.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Meh. I seriously wouldn't try that. there's a very good reason why BX's and most any compact tractor requires the subframe to mount a backhoe. Without one, you could very easily end up with a two piece tractor.
YMMV

Just fab up an easier way to transport it.

Reactions: 1 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Meh. I seriously wouldn't try that. there's a very good reason why BX's and most any compact tractor requires the subframe to mount a backhoe. Without one, you could very easily end up with a two piece tractor.
YMMV

Just fab up an easier way to transport it.
Figuring out the whole subframe issue would be a hurdle.

I will have to try a few different scenarios as far as moving it around while doing a job. Trial an error will probably be the best.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Might not technically be an attachment, but I use the BX to move it around the property.

Got delivered on Friday. Put it together and tested it out today. It’s going to take some practice to get efficient with it, but still a whole lot better than a shovel.
View attachment 96193
View attachment 96194
View attachment 96195
View attachment 96196

What is this "shovel" thing you speak of?

Do you have to have a permit to buy one?

Sounds like a 'fat guy torture device' or something. ;)

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Just "spit-ballin" here, but maybe some sort of front axle and a hydraulic motor to a chain drive, similar to an old school Go-Cart?

Obviously nothing high speed or fancy, just enough to make it easier to move or possibly independent of the tractor.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Just "spit-ballin" here, but maybe some sort of front axle and a hydraulic motor to a chain drive, similar to an old school Go-Cart?

Obviously nothing high speed or fancy, just enough to make it easier to move or possibly independent of the tractor.
It could be done. There is a guy who built axles and can drive it around.

it is all a matter of time, money and fabrication skills.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, if you FF the video to +-17 minutes you can see the additional front wheels. a great 'upgrade' and not that expensive to do.
They used an ATV to tow it, though even a 'riding mower' could,it'd free up the Kubota !