Tools for drainage and "creek" construction?

DSDispatch

Equipment
B2310
Apr 22, 2020
Longview, TX
I live on a 0.8 acre lot in a residential community in East Texas. My B2310 is way overkill for my needs and I like it that way. I have the 60" MMM and use the tractor to mow my grass as well as other construction projects. My corona-project is construction of a flag-stone patio. I spent lots of time working the shovel, but enjoyed the bucket for moving materials...

We started with a blank slate...

Shovel work, material carted away, and edging installed.

The fun part!

Ended up digging out the other sides to amend soil and mulch. Don't be fooled by the tracks - that was hand dug, but tractor carted away...

The finished product...

Around back we continued the patio and tied it into the existing cement patio at the back of the house - also installed some underground drainage to get the downspout water away from the house.

Progress - dig, place rock, add sand, smooth, smooth, then flagstone, and finish with pea gravel

Will add these rocks too and look forward to those plants filling out

Now that you've got the theme of what we're doing - I need some help! We have a low spot in our back yard where water flows across when we get a heavy rain (regular this time of year).

A neighbor did this. I'd like to replicate it in my back yard.

How would you recommend digging out the sod for the creek? I hand dug everything for the walkway, but wore out one shovel and my desire to shovel a 80' x 6' creek path is low.

How would you do this with a B2310? What implements or tools should I utilize? I have a BXExpanded Tooth Bar on order already. I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice outcome. You've got it figured out. The tooth bar and someplace to put the spoils! Dig perpendicular to the wanted waterway gently as possible to save tires digging the sod. Roll the bucket up as you go forward, and keep plugging away!

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Most Equipment Rental places rent Sod Cutters, theres videos of em on youtube. that way u cud re-use the sod if u want to, u can roll up the sod as u go and unroll it somewhere else.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I would agree with the sod cutter rental. You will tear up the lawn using the front loader when the wheels slip. (which they will)
Great job with what you have done so far.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The OP has not been seen since April 22nd. I would like to see the finished project if he is still on the board.