To buy or not to buy

frostback

Apr 27, 2010
Mission, BC
Greetings, this newbie will be at an auction in the upcoming weeks looking at buying one of several grey markets kubotas that will be available. Up for bids are a B7000, B6000, B5000, & L1501. I would like to use the tractor just for some light duty work on my 5 acre hobby farm. It is important that I can attach some sort of bush hog to the unit so I can keep my pasture mowed. So here's my question ...... will a bush hog attach to all/any of the above models and which model is the best one to get?

Thanks in advance for your advice.:eek:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Any brand of bush hog will work with either of those models. If money permits get the largest one possiable so you can have a decent size hogg. Some of us, myself included regret buying a small tractor and wish we had a bigger one. So get what you can the frist time.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I'm glad you posted this question and I can't wait to see what the grey folks say about it.
But from what I have read here, these are very parts challenged tractors and the you will be doing a lot of fabrication. If you can weld that's great and if you have a buddy that's a machinest, that's even better.

If I understand correctly from this forum (and I may be WRONG) the pto's on these run the opposite direction from the western counter parts. So a grey market tractor needs grey market impliments. ALTHOUGH I have heard of a device that goes inbetween the tractor and the impleiment that changes the rotation. But I may be worng :confused:

frostback

Apr 27, 2010
Mission, BC
Just the sort of feedback I need. What size bush hog should I be looking for? Is 48 inch the max? I've heard about the rotation issue, but I would like someone to confirm whether this is a problem or not. Another thing, I have heard some of these Kubotas are 2 pt, not 3 pt hitches? And finally, the tracks on these machines look awfully narrow. I suspect the tractors could be tipsy on unlevel ground. Comments?? Thanks!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
WOW! DAMN I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Vic is the man who knows his shit and makes no bones about it!
My hats off you you Sir!

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Nice to see someone local - I'm just across the river from you.
There are a few Kubota dealers and 'used tractor salesmen' in the area. give me a call if you want more information. Pm me for my phone number.

Ian Paton Auction isn't until June - which one are you considering attending?

Back to the topic. I have a B7100, rated 17 hp. I would not go any smaller than that. Its amazing how much a bucket load of dirt weighs compared to the weight of the tractor. A 4' brush cutter is about the max I can expect to use.
There are specs for all of these on the site here.

Avenue Equipment is very good about grey market Kubotas. The parts dept even keeps the B7001 parts and shop manual.

To add to what Vic has said, at the auctions last year the larger tractors were going for incredibly low prices. I have seen a few of them on craigslist since then.

frostback

Apr 27, 2010
Mission, BC
Thanks for your valuable input. You're bang on Vic! I previewed their last auction and thought the Kubotas looked pretty rough. Nonetheless I'm not adverse to spending a few $$ and bashing knuckles if the purchase price is right. And yes, bidders go crazy if a bucket is attached. Good to hear that Avenue Machinery is cooperative with parts, Stuart. They're only 20 minutes away. In fact I've seen some Gray market units in their inventory.

howald

Equipment
B7001
Apr 2, 2009
Fruitvale, BC, Canada
Just to add my 2 cents. I bought a grey market b7001 from auction a last year and have been very happy with it (after I figured out the wiring problems).

If you are onsite, make sure to check and see if the 3-pt hitch assembly is there. Mine wasn't so I need to buy one if I want to run anything other than the tiller mine came with.
Make sure they have the key too. Mine was broken in the ignition. Luckily, the guy who delivered it for me new how to hotwire the starter. Finding a new key was easy, BTW.

Vic's prices look pretty accurate for what was being paid last year.

Nick

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
The B7001 often came over with just a 2 point tiller, some importers added a FEL. The lift arms are standard, bottom of the tiller is on a hinge assembly. The pics are in my portfolio here.

Vic here sold me a cool 3 point hitch assembly, works like a charm. It was very easy to remove the tiller and install the hitch, only issue was that the tires were set too narrow for the hitch width of the scraper blade, but that was easily fixed.

windman

Equipment
B6000E with worn out belly mower, dump trailer and various plows and cultivators
May 24, 2010
Atascadero, California
Another new guy here with a 75 B6000 E, PTO direction changer, front electric clutch and pulleys and a worn out after-market belly mower. The tractor was originally used as a rental machine (!), but is in excellent mechanical condition, and pulls like mad. My other, and now in need of ignition parts, tractor is an Economy Power King with a 48" mower deck and 3 point hitch.

I'm trying to find a good mower deck to replace the clobbered one I've got, or - if it makes more sense - to get a bush hog that won't bog the engine down.

I'm in central California.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
There are a few threads discussing brushcutters (Bush Hog is a brand name,they make lots of different equipment) in the 'Implement' section.