Tire Sun Damage

Erik Graham

Equipment
B2630, LA 403, RCK60-30B, L2550 GST
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Greetings,
As this question will likely demonstrate I haven't Googled this as yet but I am curious about sun damage on tractor tires. Just purchased new set of tires and rims for my B2630 and wondering about how much sun is too much sun. I do cover the tractor when not in use but currently just making sure that seat and engine area are covered. Should I be looking at covering the tires as well? Certainly seen lot's of parked RV's with wheel covers on them so I'm assuming that sun/weather damage is an issue with them as well. Cheers, Erik

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I spray all my non automotive tires with John Deere Tire and Rubber Protector...don't have the part number handy but that stuff is awesome and comparably priced with the stuff you might use on car tires. I spray and cover tires that have to live outdoors such as the ones on my equipment trailer. The tires that live indoors get sprayed a few times per year.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's the UV rays that 'breakdown' the rubber,so ANY covering up will make tires last longer. I don't know how long any 'protector' put on tires will last,once tractor gets into the field though. Old farmer had sections of culvert and barn tin 'covers' with handles for his beloved tractor. He said lil exercise never hurt no one AND them tires looked GREAT.