Tire Chains

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
I will be using my tractor to clear any snow this winter and I would like any input if anybody thinks I would need tire chains. It’s just a 300’ long golf club shaped driveway that is flat.
I don’t think I would need tire chains and the existing pavement is pretty messed up as it is, so I want to avoid using chains if I can

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now this depends where you are and the tires you have now. If you get lots of ice and snow then maybe chains might be OK. Im down here in the coal country, on top of a ridge and I only had chains on one tractor an old yellow one 2 wheel drive, and that was because the tires were US Micro treads.. :) No chains on the BX or the B, both have R4 tires and I dont know from first hand experience, but guys running the turf tires say they are really good. So my 2 1/2 cents is, try with out chains, you have 4wd, no point spending money on something you wont use

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
How much snow do you get? If you get a lot of big snow storms or ice you might want them. If it is just a bunch of light fluff then you should be ok without them. If you do decide to get some, go with 2 link ladder chains without any studs or v bars. The basic ladder chains will give you traction without damaging the pavement.

Reactions: 1 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I am in the mountains of Western NC. I use chains on the front tires if we get a big snow (not that common). I only need the chains because of the extreme slopes here. In an area that is flat, I doubt that you will have a need for chains.

Reactions: 1 user

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
R4 tires on a 4WD machine. In recent years, the state hasn’t seen any more than 6-7 inches in a single snow fall but the area that I’m in now usually gets less than the rest of the state

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
R4 tires on a 4WD machine. In recent years, the state hasn’t seen any more than 6-7 inches in a single snow fall but the area that I’m in now usually gets less than the rest of the state
You will need chains to effectively clear 6-7 inches of snow in a reasonable time if using a back blade but I would expect that such events are rare. Should be OK without chains if using a front mounted plow unless ice beneath snow.

SDT

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Pushing or blowing? Pushing/pulling a blade needs more traction than blowing. But given that you have fairly level ground and max 6" at a time, I'd give it a try without chains. You can always raise the blade a bit and do multiple passes if you find problems, and then buy chains if you need them for next time.

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
I have a FEL with a 66” bucket. I was just going to snap a piece of PVC pipe on the edge and use that

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I will be using my tractor to clear any snow this winter and I would like any input if anybody thinks I would need tire chains. It’s just a 300’ long golf club shaped driveway that is flat.
I don’t think I would need tire chains and the existing pavement is pretty messed up as it is, so I want to avoid using chains if I can
My paved lane is anything but flat and we get 12" on a regular basis and more from time to time. I have plowed lots of snow with loader and 3pt blade and only resort to chains when it gets really deep or it ices up and the tire treads become useless. On a flat surface it would have to be really deep to need chains.

Dan

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I am in the mountains of Western NC. I use chains on the front tires if we get a big snow (not that common). I only need the chains because of the extreme slopes here. In an area that is flat, I doubt that you will have a need for chains.
Tropical Jack, could you explain why the front? Are the chains a lot easier to put on there? Or with less weight up front, chains compensate for that? I have never used chains and hope I don't have to—I grew up in Florida—but do live in the VA blue ridge now and our driveway is super steep.

P.S.—I have a front blade!

Last edited:

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?
Tropical Jack, could you explain why the front? Are the chains a lot easier to put on there? Or with less weight up front, chains compensate for that? I have never used chains and hope I don't have to—I grew up in Florida—but do live in the VA blue ridge now and our driveway is super steep.
I would also like to know. I was taught to never put chains on a steering axle

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Chains on front help with steering. Yes, they are much easier to put on than rears since they are much lighter and it's easy to reach around the the tires. Many of us have loaded rears, so that can make for decent traction in the rear compared to the front.

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
^ jimh hit the nail on the head. I actually do have chains for my rear tires, but have never needed them, even with a 17” snow and extreme slopes. Front chains are easier to put on for sure, but steering is the big issue. Especially where I live, and our driveway and private roads have steep drop offs on the shoulders. When I turn the steering wheel, I need to be confident of the response!

I too spent most of my life in FL Anchovy. But now we live year round in the mountains near Franklin, NC. “Flat land” is a relative term here. There really isn’t any flat land in my neighborhood.

Jack

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

P.S.—I have a front blade!
In icy conditions and using a back blade to move snow, it's easy to lose steering control because of the lack of friction on the front tires. I imagine you'd have the same problems with a front blade though the greater weight on the front end might be marginally helpful. (I don't have any experience with front blades but a friction coefficient near zero still means less turning force.) This is especially true when you have chains on the rear. Chains on the front will give you better directional control under these conditions. I had a Ferguson TO-30 that had separate brake pedals and I could use them up to a point to help steer in icy conditions. I don't recommend that, however.

As far as the type of chains, regular "ladder chains" work on F1 type fronts and on R4 rears. Not so well on R1 rears because the fall between the lugs. What I call "X" chains work better on the R1's.

Just my $0.02.