Tire chains BX23

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
I bought my bx23 in 2003 and have been using the same pair of chains since then. The links have stretched over time and fall off frequently - one fell off last snow fall and I still haven't found it, so it looks like im getting new ones. I've had metal chains but I saw they have rubber ones. Im not worried about scuffing up the driveway but might they be easier to work with than metal chains?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I bought my bx23 in 2003 and have been using the same pair of chains since then. The links have stretched over time and fall off frequently - one fell off last snow fall and I still haven't found it, so it looks like im getting new ones. I've had metal chains but I saw they have rubber ones. Im not worried about scuffing up the driveway but might they be easier to work with than metal chains?
Easier to work with, yes, but not so durable and considerably less traction.

SDT

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Im going with the rubber chains. I figure I'll find my other chain sometime in the spring and then I'll have both kinds. I've just learned that people put on chain tighteners, including things as simple as bungee cords, which I wish I would have thought of or seen before.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Im going with the rubber chains. I figure I'll find my other chain sometime in the spring and then I'll have both kinds. I've just learned that people put on chain tighteners, including things as simple as bungee cords, which I wish I would have thought of or seen before.
I use chains on my 2370, rears only. And it was always a struggle to keep them tight; bungees, zip ties, headache. My solution was to lower the tire air pressure a bit, fit the chains as tight as I could without the bungees and stuff, then air the tires back up to spec. Problem solved.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
YEP. Have you installed wheel spacers to allow for more chain room or was clearance ok?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I use chains on my 2370, rears only. And it was always a struggle to keep them tight; bungees, zip ties, headache. My solution was to lower the tire air pressure a bit, fit the chains as tight as I could without the bungees and stuff, then air the tires back up to spec. Problem solved.
thats exactly how we did it when I ran a 6x6 tow truck, we had one that we chained all 6 tires all winter. Would drive over the chains, drop the tires about 50% hook up the chains then fill the tires back up. Never had one come loose on me in the 3 years i was running that truck.

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
So I got my new terragrips. They are definitely easier to work with but as with all chains, there is a process to tightening them, which involves putting them on, driving the tractor at least a short distance, and then ratcheting up the connection another link or two. I have a hack I thought I would share which involves using an s hook to latch the chain connector to the chain. It helps in a couple of ways. If the chain won't stretch enough to even use the connecting latch, it gives you some extra distance so you can move the tractor a few yards to shift the treads a bit. Also, with my old chains it was often a real pita to get the latching link hook into the chain, and so, while I was still adjusting things, it is just easier to use the s hook until I get the chains to their final tightness. Fwiw.

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
I have done a couple of snow removals with the terragrips. I have had no problems with traction and they stay on. I can't remember the last time I got both chains to stay on. Im very happy with them.

Nodlenor

Equipment
BX2380 w/loader, tiller, blade, dirt scoup, & Woods 5' 3 pt. mower.
Nov 22, 2020
North central Missouri
My worry would be if a crossbar came loose on one end and damaged things under the rear fender. I’ve had a lot of experience with chains and I know this will happen sooner or later.

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Geez, if these terragrips come off "eventually", I'd be pleased. One of my chains had been coming off everytime I went out. Im not a commercial operator, and at 65, I probably won't have to buy too many replacements, if it comes to that. Having one less thing to interrupt my plowing (e.g. clogged chute, broken shear pin) is valuable.