Tire chain came off today.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have to bend a link back, but otherwise, I’d like to redo to make sure it’s on right. My problem is that some sites/youtubes say the crosslink connector should be facing the tire and some say it should be facing away from the tire.

So, what do you guys think. Fwiw, I put the chains on once last year and never had to adjust them. This year after about 1 hr, they came loose. Luckily, I noticed. They seemed to go really close to the hub bolts.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have to bend a link back, but otherwise, I’d like to redo to make sure it’s on right. My problem is that some sites/youtubes say the crosslink connector should be facing the tire and some say it should be facing away from the tire.

So, what do you guys think. Fwiw, I put the chains on once last year and never had to adjust them. This year after about 1 hr, they came loose. Luckily, I noticed. They seemed to go really close to the hub bolts.
It would be a big help to understand your tractor and its chains if you posted a couple of pictures.

There are as many different opinions on chain installation as their are on motor oil or anti freeze.

TRYGG a world wide maker of tire chains wants them on snug to tight. They state loose chains pound the pavement which weakens and wears the chains. A tight chain "rolls" easily and is best.

TRYGG makes a special jack to help you get the chains tight. There are other styles of screw jacks on the market as well.

Tightening tools for chains.jpg

Some styles of ladder style chains work well with spring tensioners. Note that the tensioners have a ring located in the middle of the wheel so that all springs are pulling the chains to the center.

Tire chain tensioner 1.jpg

Spring tire chain tensioner.jpg

Any open ended fitting can dig into a tire sidewall which is a reason the have an open ended link facing out. However, others can argue that an open ended link facing out is an invitation for it to snag on something.

Usually it all comes down to what works best for you as there is no perfect answer because everyone's operating situation is different.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
In the past, I struggled with chains that were always coming loose. Tried all kinds of tricks...what a pain.

Then I learned to lower the tire pressure a couple of pounds (air valve stem at top for filled tires) and then install the chains. Air back up when done. The chains are plenty snug, don't shift around at all. Just get the chains as tight as you can before airing up.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jim - -

I've always had the crosslink connector facing out because my Dad did. When we were skidding firewood, I could see a stump/stone, etc. pushing the connector into the sidewall of the tire.

For what it's worth, I always try to chain up before it gets real cold. Sounds foolish, but my hands work better and I do a better job.

Recent years, I've jacked it up, put in neutral so I can roll the tire. Concentrate on a good fit inside first, then work to the outside.

Once fitting somewhat, I "run them in" a little, then re-fit/re-tighten. I always use rubber tarp straps for tension on the Kubota. Not required on the Moline.

I have an easier time putting double-ring chains on the 12.4-38's on the old "Moline than I do putting twisted 2-link ladders on the little BX Kubota.

For small chains, I've had to shorten them on occasion. My Kubota chains needed shortening this year, had stretched quite a bit in 9 seasons, and it's a small tire.

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I have very little experience with chains, but the few times I've done it, I've done as others have:
-install in warm weather
-jack up tractor (easier to spin tire)..take all pressure off tire)
-air down tires to almost nothing (cpl of psi, so I don't accidently break the bead)
-put chains on quite tight.
-air tires back up.
-lower tractor back down.

Knock wood, I've never lost one yet in the normal course of events. Have broken one once, but heard it in time. (before it came all the way off)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't often use chains, but when I do, I always air down, install the chains tight & even, then re-inflate.
Never done it any other way.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
It would be a big help to understand your tractor and its chains if you posted a couple of pictures.

There are as many different opinions on chain installation as their are on motor oil or anti freeze.

TRYGG a world wide maker of tire chains wants them on snug to tight. They state loose chains pound the pavement which weakens and wears the chains. A tight chain "rolls" easily and is best.

TRYGG makes a special jack to help you get the chains tight. There are other styles of screw jacks on the market as well.

View attachment 72875

Some styles of ladder style chains work well with spring tensioners. Note that the tensioners have a ring located in the middle of the wheel so that all springs are pulling the chains to the center.

View attachment 72876

View attachment 72877

Any open ended fitting can dig into a tire sidewall which is a reason the have an open ended link facing out. However, others can argue that an open ended link facing out is an invitation for it to snag on something.

Usually it all comes down to what works best for you as there is no perfect answer because everyone's operating situation is different.

Dave
That top picture sure looks like someone is trying to install 2 different sets of chains on one tire!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Another vote for air down. I used to have to chain up my 6x6 25t tow truck. It was a pain but they were on there all winter. Rarely did I ever have to tighten them a second time.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
That top picture sure looks like someone is trying to install 2 different sets of chains on one tire!
Good call. I had simple ladder chains on my Nuffield 465 2WD.
I bought a military Volvo truck, a 4141, which was being tested in Canada. Later, I bid on and won all the spares in Canada which included many sets of very high quality chains. The chains were for much smaller tires but I put them over the Nuffield ladder chains and ended up with a complicated but very tough setup.

I no longer have the truck but when winter comes I really miss it.

Volvo 4x4 (8).jpg

Dave

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I'm still not crazy about the front chains. I think they are a little more narrow than they should be. Any way, they work. I did have to bend the links back which seemed to work.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow as I think I need to widen the road a bit more after I offset my rear blade. I have an 2684, but I'm thinking a 96 would have been better for snow.

I got to put the rears on today. That was a bit of work. They do well and clear. They are a lot bigger chain diameter than the fronts with huge tighteners in comparison to the front. I don't think they would have cleared the telescopic rear 3 point links without my spacers which are only one inch. That reminds me. I need to double check to see that they really cleared.

For the most part, I had positive traction and enough to plow uphill. I don't think that would have been possible without the chains.