Time to upgrade

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hi all -

Name is Greg. New to the forum, looking to get some initial advice from the experts and then hopefully be a contributing member later with a tractor ;). If you don't feel like reading my life's story, skip to the bolded parts - tasks I want to accomplish and tractor I think might do it.

Maybe a little background on my situation. Long time JD garden tractor fan. Finally have realized it's time to upgrade. My old JD 332 is becoming a chore and always needs some work and I seem to never have enough time - too many irons in the fire (i.e. new young children). I use that machine to mow, snowblow and till.

We live on a rural 5 acre "hobby farm" type property (but we don't have any animals except for a few chickens so I wouldn't say it's a farm). I'm hoping to find a tractor to make life easier.

General tasks:
-Basically every building or area needs work of some sort: residing the barn, busting out the floor in the barn and the milkhouse, digging out all the flower beds and redoing the landscaping, etc, etc. We're building a 36x56 shop right now. A lot of this will entail needing a loader/forks to unload materials and assist with construction.
-We have a 300' blacktop driveway with a 50x30ish pad up by the house. We get snow here (WI) - but nothing excessive like further north.
-Mowing 1.5 acres of lawn - the rural type that's got mole tunnels and bumps. :D We have some landscaping features to mow around but nothing excessive.
-We have access to the neighbor's 50 acres so maybe once or so a year I might go up in there for some wood (1/2 cord, nothing major).
-We've got 2.5 acres of pasture grass field that I never do anything with at this point.
80% of the work will be mowing the lawn and snow removal in the winter. BUT - we do all work around here ourselves - which means I would like a machine that can assist on a lot of these tasks (within reason - not going to buy a L4701 just to do that one task that requires it 20 years from now).

This spring I decided maybe it was time to make my life easier. I initially thought the John Deere 1025R (SCUT) was the perfect machine. But after reviewing the loader specs, I was really surprised (and the BX series too) that those little subcompacts really can't lift much.

After getting over the initial disappointment that JD might not have the right tractor for me (2025R has the same loader as the 1025R and the 2032R is too big and too expensive), I turned to Kubota (my dad has an L3901 that's been fantastic). I found that the B2301 has a similar physical size to the 1025R - but has significant more capability.

So my hunt has me looking at this - built on Kubota's website:
B2301
LA435 w/ QA 54" bucket
54" MMM (or possibly 60")
BH70 w/ 10" bucket
R14 tires
(I'd search for a rear blade/box, pallet forks, tiller, brush cutter, etc used later)
(I'd add other features like additional lighting, etc later).

This machine seems like the perfect balance for mowing (it's not too big) but also has enough muscle to deal with 98% of the loader/lifting tasks. It also has a lot of convenience features - the ease of attaching/detaching the loader is a huge plus.

Questions:
Am looking at the right machine? Am I missing anything? I know a lot of guys go to the B2601 - but the budget is going to be pretty tight for me (because of the BH). I really can't see spending much beyond $24,000 out the door (including tax). I really want the BH - we have this loam/clay soil that's a huge pain in the ass to dig through by hand. I look at a few of the stumps that have to go and all the random digging out of landscaping stuff and I see it would be a huge convenience factor. It just might not be a reality financially (don't want to finance).

Thanks for having me here at OTT. If we end up with a Kubota I'm going to have to figure out how to explain to my 2 year old how we aren't going green. :rolleyes:

Greg

Last edited:

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
Hi Greg,

Just thinking out loud to see if you can see my reasoning: maybe don't get the backhoe, and find other ways to do the work the BH would do. Or, rent a mini excavator when you need one? I see you're in WI, maybe near me, and I can get a Bobcat miniex from AtoZ for $300-400 for a whole weekend. Do you have or plan to make use of the BH enough to offset that cost vs renting?

Regards!
Schmitty

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hi Greg,

Just thinking out loud to see if you can see my reasoning: maybe don't get the backhoe, and find other ways to do the work the BH would do. Or, rent a mini excavator when you need one? I see you're in WI, maybe near me, and I can get a Bobcat miniex from AtoZ for $300-400 for a whole weekend. Do you have or plan to make use of the BH enough to offset that cost vs renting?

Regards!
Schmitty
That’s definitely the analysis! My father in law mentioned something similar. I figure over 10-15 years that I’d probably get a fair amount of use out of it between me and family. Im getting some quotes hopefully this week so we’ll see where it comes in at. I think I’d end up using it on a lot of stuff I would have done by hand over renting (semi small projects).

We’ll see though.

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Neighbor just bought exact machine minus the hoe.

Quoted from 17,5 to 18,3ish.

Filled R14 radials ,FEL ,54" deck...He loves it.

Skip the Hoe...Been there did it.
Bought a Mini Excavator...they do everything a BH won't.
Rent one for the few projects you may have.

Nice machines, you have to step way up in green to begin to compare to a 2301.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't have a backhoe. I never see enough work to justify one. I do have a front loader and have found it can do a LOT of digging. For shallow trenches I run one tooth on my box blade REALLY low and clean the little trench with a shovel. As far as the B series tractor, that's cool. I've got an L2501 myself - I don't mow the lawn with it. You may wish to inquire about the LX series tractor. I've never seen one but I think it's somewhere between B and L for size.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Gonna be the odd man apparently, but I absolutely LOVE my backhoe. (On my L2501) I feel like my tractor would be incomplete without it. Is it as capable as a dedicated backhoe? No, but I am finding uses for it all the time and know of things I will use it for in the future. It will more than have paid for itself once I use it on the projects I have planned, and everything else I use it for is just a bonus.

I know many say rent a machine when you need one. No disrespect, but that is too much of a hassle, time and expense for me. I have no way of trailering one myself anyway.

However, only you can decide and truly know what you need.

You can always sell it later. Resale would be good if you maintain it.

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
As far as your 2 yr old, just get him (or her) orange tinted sunglasses and Kubota toy tractors :D. If you do get a backhoe, get a mechanical thumb for it because it really increases its usefulness, you can pick things up with it. On B tractors you can always add a backhoe later, on the smaller BX's you cant.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard. Everyone's needs vary somewhat and I believe their perceptions of need vary even more. I mentioned this on another thread somewhere. We built here in '89. In all that time I haven't had need of a backhoe. We have a TLB and Mini-X at work that I could use, but so far haven't even towed either home. Unless there is a real need for a BH, I'd spend that money on a bigger tractor and rent a Mini-X. I love to help friends and family, but wouldn't consider their needs for MY tractor purchase.

Having upgraded several times I now feel "adequate" after purchasing a nice used L4240. The tractor before that was an L3200 and it was just a little short on HP and FEL capacity at times. I remember thinking that the L3200 was a beast when I first got it compared with the B7500 it replaced. Each time a larger tractor came along, it didn't take long to feel at home on it.

We have 3-1/2 acres and the only offsite work is volunteer snow removal for our church's two parking lots about 1-1/2 miles away. The largest use is mowing with a 90" RFM. We have trees here and there's a fence row along one side of the property. That causes some cleanup after big storms and occasional dead tree removal. The tractor sees use at least once a week, but the FEL is only on when needed for cleaning up brush, picking heavy things, etc. Sometimes the loader gets used weekly and sometimes it will sit for a month.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
I just purchased my first owned tractor this fall, I bounced all over the place, looked at local dealers within an hours drive (John Deere, Kubota), and looked up to 3 hours away mahindra, kioti, and 1 other that I forget the brand, I have a house that I am building on 46 acres, and we get close to 300 inches of snow a year, I was going to go with a b2650 but way outta my price range, plus I really saw the need for a backhoe, I ended up getting a bx23s and have been more or less happy with it since, it does have its limitations though, but it has allowed me to do things that I would not otherwise be able to do, for me renting a mini ex is just way to pricey, (although they will do a heck of a lot more in a shorter amount of time and better), I am glad I got the backhoe, it is there when needed and has allowed me to get what needed to be done, when I wanted to do it, hard choice for sure though, good luck with your decision

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Thanks for all the good input and advice.

I think my general trend of reading is that guys who have backhoes say they like them and use them for a lot of tasks - even the smaller ones they wouldn't have rented and previously done by hand. The other common opinion is just rent a more capable machine. Valid points both way.

Maybe stepping back, is my selection of the B series the right fit? Even if money were no object, I'd be slightly worried about going bigger (like an LX) because of the increased physical size and decreased 'agility' for mowing. As mentioned, I think it's about 1.5 acres of rural lawn that I mow roughly 1-2 times per week depending whether we get rain or not. I think right now with my 50" JD 332 it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes or something around there. So that's a fair amount of seat time each week.

What do you guys think about B2301 vs B2601? Dealer said roughly $1500 in savings by stepping from the B2601 down to the B2301. I don't plan on doing significant brush hogging - at most I may consider mowing some field grass that's about 2.5 acres. My understanding is HP is most important when running certain implements off the PTO.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Questions:
Am looking at the right machine? Am I missing anything? I know a lot of guys go to the B2601 - but the budget is going to be pretty tight for me (because of the BH). I really can't see spending much beyond $24,000 out the door (including tax). I really want the BH - we have this loam/clay soil that's a huge pain in the ass to dig through by hand. I look at a few of the stumps that have to go and all the random digging out of landscaping stuff and I see it would be a huge convenience factor. It just might not be a reality financially (don't want to finance).

Thanks for having me here at OTT. If we end up with a Kubota I'm going to have to figure out how to explain to my 2 year old how we aren't going green. :rolleyes:

Greg

Hey Greg and welcome. I think you would love the tractor youre looking at, considering the little JD lawn tractor youve been using - this B 2301 will be a nice upgrade for you.

I think after reading your post it really comes down between 2 options in my eyes. Either you go for the 2301 with your back hoe, or you drop the back hoe and step up to more tractor. The difference between the 2301 and 2601 is actually very little. Aside from just a little extra HP, there isnt much a difference. The 2601 weights just 66 lbs more than the 2301. If the specs im looking at are correct they have the same exact Hydraulic pump flow, so they will essentially lift the same amount of weight. 2601 looks to be about $1,000 more dollars. If I dropped the back hoe I would go up to something more substantial than the B2601. The B2650 is a more substantial upgrade - you would step up in Hydraulic pump flow, which means more lifting capacity. The 2650 is also a couple hundred pounds heavier, so it will pull more. If you want an even bigger upgrade, step up to the L2501. If you go into the L however you lose the mid mount PTO option, which sounds like it may be important to you. The L2501 without the back hoe however can be had for at or just under $20,000. To me - the L2501 is the absolute sweet spot for $20,000. You will be hard pressed to find more tractor at that price point. You take a big step up in weight over the B models, and while still 25 horsepower, the engine is quite a bit larger, and has much more torque. You lose the the Mid Mount Mower though - that may be a deal breaker for you.

If I put myself in yorus hoes, I would either stick with the 2301, with the MMM and the back hoe, Or I would throw out the MMM, and the backhoe, step up to the L2501 and add a 3pt. hitch rotary cutter. for my cutting. Two very different options - only you can decide what is best for you. Do you want that MMM and backhoe, or do you want a more substantial tractor? If you want a backhoe, dont let folks talk you out of getting it. Just make sure you will actually use it, because you are going to give up something to have it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hi Greg,

I'll throw this out at ya...Does your father and his L3901 live close by? If so, How about stepping up to a B2650 or L2501 and you split the cost of the hoe with your dad? The BH77 hoe will fit all of those machines (B2650, L2501, L3901). You'd just need the backhoe subframes on both, and get the hoe designed for the L series (with separate seat)?.

Any way, I think your making the right decision on a "B" series over the BX. The three range hydro and position control is worth the extra cost.

Best of luck to you.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Hi Greg,

I'll throw this out at ya...Does your father and his L3901 live close by? If so, How about stepping up to a B2650 or L2501 and you split the cost of the hoe with your dad? The BH77 hoe will fit all of those machines (B2650, L2501, L3901). You'd just need the backhoe subframes on both, and get the hoe designed for the L series (with separate seat)?.

Any way, I think your making the right decision on a "B" series over the BX. The three range hydro and position control is worth the extra cost.

Best of luck to you.
I would 2nd that as well. I would not buy a BX tractor. Just too small, too limited. You have more acreage and projects - similar to myself and others. If you are gonna invest in a tractor get something that will do all the work you want it to do, dont cut yourself short. You will regret it in 5 years if you do.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I would 2nd that as well. I would not buy a BX tractor. Just too small, too limited. You have more acreage and projects - similar to myself and others. If you are gonna invest in a tractor get something that will do all the work you want it to do, dont cut yourself short. You will regret it in 5 years if you do.
They live about 100 miles north. I've got a good truck (F150) and 20' trailer. In general, he's been happy to loan it to me whenever I need it. Obviously spending 6 hours round trip (when you add loading and pleasantries :D) adds up but it's not the end of the world.

As far as the BH and splitting payments. My dad would go for that. My main constraint right now is we are in the middle of having a 2nd child this summer and I'm trying to build my shop. I really don't want to be in more than 24-25k I don't think as this is coming out of my shop fund. I actually will have to put off heating/insulating the building due to the tractor purchase. Although the more reliable your stuff is the less you are sitting in the snowbank working on it. My dad has also been talking about upgrading to a bigger Kubota (L4701?). My mom just retired and he should be retiring in the next few years as well - they are getting some animals and tend to 50 acres of wooded property (trails, etc). Depending on what he gets, the BH77 may not help him.

Beyond the money aspect, I'd be worried about going to the B2650/LX2610 because of the bigger size and mowing. Side note, I bet there could be some good deals on the B2650 because of the LX2610 coming out?

Thanks for all the confirmation on the CUT vs SCUT. I really thought the CUT (B series) was the right machine and feel more confident now.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Beyond the money aspect, I'd be worried about going to the B2650/LX2610 because of the bigger size and mowing. Side note, I bet there could be some good deals on the B2650 because of the LX2610 coming out?
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/010/1/5/10151-kubota-b2601.html
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/7/2/7723-kubota-b2650.html

2601 vs 2650, 2650 wheelbase 3" more, will lift almost 200# more, about 140# heavier, about $1000 more. factory cab is an option.

3 B models 2601, 2650, 3350 - 3350 turbo charged had to have pollution controls DEF fluid - saw problems trucking industry was having, no DEF for me.

The 3350 has/had problems gave B series bad rap. I think LX re-badge is for shoppers who were told not to buy a B. I can see deals on 3350's doubt it on B2650 solid, dependable machine.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I owned a B7500 which is basically an older 21HP, 2-range hydro version of a B2301 and I loved that tractor. It was my mower (54" deck) and the LA302 loader with 48" bucket did everything I needed from carrying gravel, dirt, moving snow, even moving over 100 11' pine logs which I had to strap to the tow hook which was welded on the top of the loader. After acquiring a lot more property I moved up to a B2650 with a 72" deck, but it didn't mow as fast as I wanted so I got a ZTR, then not needing the mid mount mower deck or mid PTO I swapped it for a L2501.

My advice is go with the B2301 definitely with 60" deck which will be easier to trim close to things than the 54", and is probably less than $150 more. I wish I had on my B7500, and its 21hp *never* bogged down in the thickest grass so don't worry about a B2301's power. The loader with 54" bucket sounds perfect, you might consider a ballast box (to offset the loader) when you don't have the hoe on which is a lot smaller and more maneuverable than hanging a blade or box blade on the back. R14 tires are a good choice.

Sounds like you have enough use for a hoe and you want one so get it.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi Greg, welcome aboard!!

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but there's a lot of good opinions and ideas to ponder in it: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46486

In your situation (somewhat like mine) you might want to consider a rear finish mower for your tractor instead of the mid mount. It's so much easier to swap between implements when you use your tractor for all the other jobs around your property. Sure you might save 10 minutes more using a mid mount but complain about all the changeouts necessary when doing other things too. Will you spend more time mowing than all the other jobs or vice versa? It's just something to consider. I mow around many trees and other things with mine and it doesn't bother me a bit. The B2650 has a nice tight turn radius. I had a mid mount mower on my older JD750 compact and it was always in the way or a pain to remove. so much so that I'd put off other jobs because that mower was on and I didn't want to take it off for small jobs. I wouldn't want one again.....for my needs and situation.

Re: backhoe I had a new backhoe with that JD750 and it paid for itself many times over during the years. In fact, I still have it. When I bought the new B2650 (2 yrs ago now) the backhoe was first on the list for implements to go with it. It can go on or off easily in well under 10 minutes. I have no problem justifying it....plus its always handy and ready....and FUN! Like others have said....if you want one, buy it. I've never looked back and thought, "Boy, I spent way to much on that." But I have wished at times that I would've spent more and got what I wanted in the first place.

With a young family and more to come, it's easy to understand your position.
0% financing sure helps, though, and all the above is only mentioned to give you some more to think about and help you decide what's best for you and yours.

Regards,
David

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/010/1/5/10151-kubota-b2601.html
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/007/7/2/7723-kubota-b2650.html

2601 vs 2650, 2650 wheelbase 3" more, will lift almost 200# more, about 140# heavier, about $1000 more. factory cab is an option.

3 B models 2601, 2650, 3350 - 3350 turbo charged had to have pollution controls DEF fluid - saw problems trucking industry was having, no DEF for me.

The 3350 has/had problems gave B series bad rap. I think LX re-badge is for shoppers who were told not to buy a B. I can see deals on 3350's doubt it on B2650 solid, dependable machine.
That is completely wrong on the pollution control. The B2601 and B2650 do not have any pollution control on them at all because they fall below the HP cut off. The B3350 has DPF pollution control on it, not DEF. Two completely different systems and yes Kubota has had a lot of problems with the B3350. The rest of the B series has had no problems and sell well.