Tiller question

Labman

Equipment
B2301, 60" finish mower, 60" back blade, 72" disc, 72" cultivator, 3 pt. sprayer
Nov 30, 2021
Kansas
I purchased the RTR1266 tiler with my b2301 tractor in June. For some reason, when I am tilling with it, the ends of the tiller tend to drag/ridge the dirt. I was just curious if there is an adjustment I was missing? I always make sure that the tiller is level when I hook it up to do a job. I'm new to this equipment, so any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Mine creates lines on each side of the tiller. Is that what your are referring to? You can adjust the shoes on each side, which is to help control depth, and I think that is what makes the lines on mine. Perhaps you should play with the lift settings and not lower the tiller completely down when tilling and see if that helps...if you have not done that already.

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I purchased the RTR1266 tiler with my b2301 tractor in June. For some reason, when I am tilling with it, the ends of the tiller tend to drag/ridge the dirt. I was just curious if there is an adjustment I was missing? I always make sure that the tiller is level when I hook it up to do a job. I'm new to this equipment, so any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Do you mean your tiller ends are dragging/ridging the dirt in front of the tiller.....or behind the tiller. If you mean in front...Then you need to lengthen your top link to have the tiller "shoes" ride more level on the ground. If you mean leaving ridges behind....you may have to shorten the top link to have your tiller shoes ride more level on the ground.
Like Nicfin36 said, the shoes are both used to set the tilling depth and give the tiller a smoother ride on bumpy ground. At the depth you want to till by setting the shoes.....adjust your top link so they ride level on the ground when you're tilling at depth. Or maybe even just slightly tilted up in the front depending on the shape of your shoes.
Pretty hard to completely get rid of the lines left by the shoes but they should be pretty minimal if everything is adjusted properly. Is your tiller's rear "door" set so that it can float and evenly distribute or flatten the tilled soil as you move forward? That should also almost eliminate those lines and ridges.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
When you get towards the end of a row slowly start to raise the tiller while it’s still engaged. No “potholes” that way.

Labman

Equipment
B2301, 60" finish mower, 60" back blade, 72" disc, 72" cultivator, 3 pt. sprayer
Nov 30, 2021
Kansas
Thanks guys, I think you might be on to something with checking the levelness of the shoes. I will look at that. Behind the tiller is perfect, its just the drag that is occurring with the shoes.