Tight steering on new steering box

MikeTKO

Apr 2, 2010
Loranger, La.
I just installed a new steering box on my 1501 (L185) and the steering seems much tighter than before. Does this loosen up over time or did I just get used to my old steering being loose over the years and is this normal? I added 85/90 gear oil to the box after I installed it.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I just installed a new steering box on my 1501 (L185) and the steering seems much tighter than before. Does this loosen up over time or did I just get used to my old steering being loose over the years and is this normal? I added 85/90 gear oil to the box after I installed it

Do you mean hard to turn, or just that the wheels start to turn when the steering wheel is moved?

You may have to adjust the play in the steering sector, I couldn't really tell that it made a difference on mine though. As long as the bearings were installed correctly, and the shaft turned freely in the ballnut, I can't think of anything else that would make it "tight".

My L175 steers a whole lot easier, now that I have rebuilt the steering box.

Robert

MikeTKO

Apr 2, 2010
Loranger, La.
Thanks Robert for the reply. It is in the turning but maybe its just what I was used to before. The old box was very easy to turn they had alot of of play, then I heard the pop as it broke. I am going to try and jack up the front end and see if any adjustments on the linkage make any difference. I bought the complete steering box from a vendor who sells alot of them so I guess I am alright on that. I'm going to look at it more this evening when I get home.
Thanks,
Mike

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Mike,

Just thought of this, did you grease the tie rods and all the pivot points on the front end?

With the front end off the ground you should be able to turn from lock to lock with a finger on the spoke of the sterring wheel.

Robert