Thoughts on tire chains

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
I'm curious what the thoughts on tire chains are.

Now that I have my first tractor and we live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow (up to a few feet) I'd like to use the tractor to move snow. However, last time I got a little nervous about sliding and traction in the snow. I made it through it all but thought that tire chains might help in the future.

My questions are:

1. Should I use front and rear chains?
2. Front only?
3. Rear only?

Hoping there are pro's out there that can help out.

Thanks in advance :)

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
I clear about 3500 sq ft. of driveway here most of which is on a hill. My BX 2680 has both a blower and a plow. I have turf tires (really good tread). I run my rig in 4 wd and I have the rear tires loaded and chained. 4th winter here in Ontario and this set up works 100%.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Now that I have my first tractor and we live in an area that gets a fair amount of snow (up to a few feet) I'd like to use the tractor to move snow. However, last time I got a little nervous about sliding and traction in the snow. I made it through it all but thought that tire chains might help in the future.

My questions are:

2. Front only?
3. Rear only?

Many say "don't chain both" - for the reason of binding the internals....... which makes sense - but that is true with 4 wheel drive on any surface.

Chain the rear only - great grip when needed, front can still not steer 100% ......

Chain the front only - good grip and should steer point to point better......

I have seen many large snow moving machines with both ends chained.

It all really boils down to the operator - if they understand what should be done and not done......( drive on firm surfaces) then the chains all around would work fine

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
I have a steep gravel driveway and some wear on my tires. Last year, I used rear chains, and added front ones this year. There was a dramatic improvement in traction and steering control plowing snow.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree that front and rear is the best, but either will be better than nothing. Front chains are a lot less, if you want to try them to see without spending as much money.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't bother trying to drive in 2+ feet of snow. Even with chains you don't go too far when the snow is over your axels.
Sure you might have to change your technique or plow before it gets 2 feet deep, but you can certainly move snow that’s 2 feet. What do you do instead if you have studs? Wait until Spring/Summer? :D

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I don't bother trying to drive in 2+ feet of snow. Even with chains you don't go too far when the snow is over your axels.
I have to clear my road when we get 2+ feet of snow. It’s slow work, but necessary.

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York

My questions are:

2. Front only?
3. Rear only?

I finally got rear duo-grip chains for my B2620 this year and it makes a world of difference. I don't plow with it as I have a big farm tractor. After using the chains after the first heavy snow - 10", but very dense and heavy, I am gonna put chains on the front also. Steering was really difficult, and backing my snowmobile trailer into the shed was difficult - its uphill and it took me a bunch of tries to get into the building. Trying to find v-bar for the front, but so far no luck. May have to go with twisted link ladder chains.

Tim
Tim

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
B2650 Front snow blower with woods blade in the rear About 2500' long driveway uphill. Coming down is no issue. Going back uphill
Use both front and rear but I am very strict about disengaging the 4x4 when turning
You can feel it in the sterring wheel binding when you turn I been doing this for the last 50 years and never broke anything.
Good luck with your choice.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have studded trygg chains on the rear and they work well after reading this I may look at studding the fronts. I did get stuck a couple of times in deep snow and had to use the diff lock to get out. once the snow is over the axles you are done. A blower may have been a better investment than the back blade. But overall happy with the chains.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When we have deep snow, that’s when I need to plow the most. I absolutely plow snow 2’+

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
Many say "don't chain both" - for the reason of binding the internals....... which makes sense - but that is true with 4 wheel drive on any surface.

Chain the rear only - great grip when needed, front can still not steer 100% ......

Chain the front only - good grip and should steer point to point better......

I have seen many large snow moving machines with both ends chained.

It all really boils down to the operator - if they understand what should be done and not done......( drive on firm surfaces) then the chains all around would work fine
With my JD 4100 I ripped the front hubs out 3 times due to chaining up the front end but with my Kubota 2601 I am not sure. Have the r41 tires so will find out. JD dealer told me never to chair the fronts, just let them slide a little.

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
A trick I have heard but not tried personally for chaining the fronts for improved steering is to use a length of roller chain, double wide if possible. Deflate the tire, wrap chain around the center of the tire, and reinflate. Won't cause driveline bind issues but bites into snow and ice when the wheel is turned.
Initial setup may take some trial and error to get the length right to keep the chain on the tire while not squeezing it too tightly.

I ran chains on the back of my B7500 for this, the first winter of owning it and I think they well worth having. I tried some relatively inexpensive diamond pattern chains designed for 33" pickup truck tires and they worked surprisingly well after the initial fitment and for about 1/4 the price.

Reactions: 1 user