Thoughts on 42" Maletti flail mower

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Looking at older 42 inch mower with PTO shaft, What I can tell from poor photo, grass blades need replacing (fairly beat up and bent. Their held in by cotter pins not bolted like I've seen others. rotor appears straight along with rear roller. Seller is asking 900.00, blue fading in color, with some surface rust showing it's senior static. Plan on taking a look in next couple days, it's an hour and half south of me so I can take a look at it and possibly make an offer.
I don't have a problem doing a little consumable replacement. Seller says he's going up in size. I did inquire what tractor he operated mower with.
Can't justify new flail, just trying to get an idea of an older used equipment. looking for some input.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Looking at older 42 inch mower with PTO shaft, What I can tell from poor photo, grass blades need replacing (fairly beat up and bent. Their held in by cotter pins not bolted like I've seen others. rotor appears straight along with rear roller. Seller is asking 900.00, blue fading in color, with some surface rust showing it's senior static. Plan on taking a look in next couple days, it's an hour and half south of me so I can take a look at it and possibly make an offer.
I don't have a problem doing a little consumable replacement. Seller says he's going up in size. I did inquire what tractor he operated mower with.
Can't justify new flail, just trying to get an idea of an older used equipment. looking for some input.
There are a few other unknowns such as the gear box, bearings at each end of the roller and rotor, pto u-joints etc. I have a flail and it's a really good implement, but with prices going up, grass y-blades or hammer blades are expensive. That said, it could be a great investment given that flails are so expensive now. I bought a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 about this time last year and it's about 30% more expensive now.

Just as a point of comparison, there's a brand new Titan Implements 48" rotary cutter for sale for around the same price. That's Titan Implements who are now IronCraft so not the Chinese cloning company. I have no need for a 4ft rotary cutter but it seems like a good buy at around $1k.

Last edited:

CasaNova

Equipment
BX23s
May 15, 2023
USA
I'm looking at a similar mower, is there any concern with the BX not being able to run it? I can't find any specs online for weight or required HP for the Maletti mowers.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380 FEL Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
I also had a hard time researching about Maletti mowers, I ran across larger ones. most of the ones I saw on google were 5 foot and larger. I found parts that worked on them. The consumables seem to be going up in price with their popularity.
Lifting a under 4-foot mower (manual suggest 42 inch) or under 5 hundred lbs. shouldn't be a problem for the BX, IMO. What I'm understanding is the gear box ratio the manufactures put on their mowers is where the PTO hp requirements are needed. I think if you have outside skid plates to assist roller, moving speed is a big factor on cutting quality.
Sunday truck was loaded and funds in pocket, called to verify appointment and seller was counting money of returning area buyer. Oh well.
Seller never did answer what size tractor he was operating it with. His reason for selling was, he bought a larger unite.
Good luck on quest.