Thinking of buying RTV900

gillfinn

Equipment
1990 Kubota L 2250
Mar 12, 2021
northfield mass.
Hello, I'm thinking of buying a 2010 RTV 900, it's got 2,749 hrs on it, It's in great condition and they'll take $7000 which appears to be a fair price. My question is about the hours. It seems a bit high, but being a diesel maybe not so much, Any advice would be helpful, thanks so much.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
That is a lot of hours but not for a well cared for diesel motor depending on how it was used, I would ask how the hours were accumulated but be more worried about overall condition, does it look like they took care of it.

I (well my wife) have a RTV1000 that is the same age with 1000 hours that looks new as it is housed in a shop when not being used. I maintain it per the book. Many of my hours is driving 100 feet stop for 5-10 minutes, a lot of idling with the A/C, so I change the oil at half the normal interval because it makes me feel better.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good bit of hours on that machine - service records are a must!

No records means you have to do a little dirty work.

Ask the person IF you could take it to a "diesel mechanic" and have them do a compression test on the engine - might cost you a 100 bucks or so - but if the number come back "low" - that C note was well spent, if numbers are ok, look at all the tie rods and those type of things that need to be replaced over time. The mechanic can look over everything too and give you his/her opinion as to the condition of the RTV

7K might be a bit high for a 11 year old machine with that many hours - I have looked a several, and around these parts, they go for that but have 500- 1000 hours on them.

gillfinn

Equipment
1990 Kubota L 2250
Mar 12, 2021
northfield mass.
Good bit of hours on that machine - service records are a must!

No records means you have to do a little dirty work.

Ask the person IF you could take it to a "diesel mechanic" and have them do a compression test on the engine - might cost you a 100 bucks or so - but if the number come back "low" - that C note was well spent, if numbers are ok, look at all the tie rods and those type of things that need to be replaced over time. The mechanic can look over everything too and give you his/her opinion as to the condition of the RTV

7K might be a bit high for a 11 year old machine with that many hours - I have looked a several, and around these parts, they go for that but have 500- 1000 hours on them.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into all you've mentioned. Thanks!

gillfinn

Equipment
1990 Kubota L 2250
Mar 12, 2021
northfield mass.
That is a lot of hours but not for a well cared for diesel motor depending on how it was used, I would ask how the hours were accumulated but be more worried about overall condition, does it look like they took care of it.

I (well my wife) have a RTV1000 that is the same age with 1000 hours that looks new as it is housed in a shop when not being used. I maintain it per the book. Many of my hours is driving 100 feet stop for 5-10 minutes, a lot of idling with the A/C, so I change the oil at half the normal interval because it makes me feel better.
It does look like it's in good shape, but I'm wondering if that price is a bit high, maybe $4,500 might be more in line. Thanks a lot for the reply.

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
I think I might have found a deal. 05 Kubota 900 with 286 hours. Asking 7500. Looking around the age of the machine is old but the hours are super young. Does this sound fair assuming it appears well taken care of. The owner said the only reason for selling is family outgrew it and wants/needs a crew cab machine. With that comment, I am assuming not really being worked.

Also has a warn 4500 winch but it is camo, unfortunately.

Thoughts on this and what to look for to ensure a good buy and not a dog? thanks for the help.

k5cag

Equipment
m9960, SVL75-2, Kubota ZTR
Apr 24, 2021
Movetolufkin
Hours do seem little higher for personal machine. Wonder if it spent time on pipeline duty.
I have an 06 900. Close to 4000 hrs.
Change fluid and filters every year and keeps going.
Did put a battery on it in 2014.
One of best machines ever bought

k5cag

Equipment
m9960, SVL75-2, Kubota ZTR
Apr 24, 2021
Movetolufkin
Ok just checked my first estimate on mine was 4000 but I was reminded it was 3100.