Thinking about tire chains

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
With winter coming, I'm planning to get chains for my M6800. With a DT/FWA/4WD/what ever you want to call it, can/should you put chains on the front?

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Rather than chains, ever look into screw in Studs?
I’m thinking about these.....
I’d think depending on your situation, steering becomes a problem with lots of rear traction, no sense going somewhere if it ain’t where you want to go!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
With winter coming, I'm planning to get chains for my M6800. With a DT/FWA/4WD/what ever you want to call it, can/should you put chains on the front?
It depends upon what you plan to do.

Chains are necessary for just about any serious work in snow.

I use both F & R chains. Front chains help considerably with steering.

Go to tirechains.com and read up.

SDT

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Chains are necessary for just about any serious work in snow.

I use both F & R chains. Front chains help considerably with steering.
Some say front chains can be a problem; others say not so much.

Chains or not, if using 4WD at anytime where there's good traction, the front drive system can be under considerable stress, especially while turning.

If you use chains, just be aware of the traction for the tractor.....if it's good, go to 2WD, and use 4WD only when it's needed.

My little BX is nowhere the machine you have, but the same principles apply.

I finally bought chains for the fronts last year for the same reasons SDT mentions.

Didn't use them last winter (didn't need them anyway), but I've gotten tired of not being able to steer it.....

Betting even in 2WD, chains will help steering...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use double ladder chains on my front R4 tires and only put them on in late winter after my driveway turns into an ice rink. I only use them if I have to. Front chains are cheaper than the rears, also helps with steering. The big negative is you have to be careful that the chains don't walk and hook onto your steering linkage. Keep your chains tight and use a good spider to keep them in place.

If I was off roading in deep snow regularly I would chain up all four tires with the Euro style chains.

I am considering getting a tire groover to add sipes to my fronts for better winter traction.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Only thing I can say about chains is, if you go that route,,,, CHECK how much room you have between the inner wheel and whats under the fender. Put your chains on the LOOK and measure how much room you have, remember there are some latching parts that move around on the chain and could catch something you dont want them to. You may well be clear of everything or you may well need a set of wheel spacers to give you some room and piece of mind

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I have a set for my M6800 and find they work especially good in muddy conditions. I have the "X" crossover kind that provides max traction--not recommended if you run into dry pavement; terrible ride. I would not put chains on front.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Rather than chains, ever look into screw in Studs?
I’m thinking about these.....
I’d think depending on your situation, steering becomes a problem with lots of rear traction, no sense going somewhere if it ain’t where you want to go!
I have them on the front and rear tires on my B3200 with R4's. They work well on my hilly drive way but they also markup the paving and the garage floor they have a down side as well.
You'll need a fair amount of ballast on the rear to get them to bite, i have a woods BH70 on.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I got chains for my L3901 last year. With R4's I had to add 2" spacers front and back. That also gave a little more clearance up front for the steering gear.
I put the chains on then drove a bit then re-adjusted/tightened and never had a problem. Sure adds alot of traction in snow and ice.
It's time to get them sorted and back on. Snows in the forecast. Winter is coming.