Thinking about buying a Z422KW-54 zero turn

HowardTractor

Equipment
LX2610, B2372, PFL1242, STB10, RCK60-30BB, RB1560, PD10, WC68, RCR1260
Feb 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have an LX2610 with a 60 inch belly mower. I have ten acres and mow maybe half of that currently. A local farmer with some big machinery bails the other half along with some neighbors fields too. The part that I mow currently has some landscaping and we are starting to plant some more fruit and nut trees. We also have plans to add a chestnut orchard and some more fruit trees to fields that are now getting bailed. Eventually we are hoping to make them silvo pasture and graze sheep and goats instead of mowing, But until then I will need to maintain. Short story long, I am starting to go a little crazy trying to turn the lx through all the trees and obstacles. I couldn't live without it for all the other things it does, so I am debating a purchasing of a Z422KW-54 zero turn to accompany it. I would love to hear any advice, opinions about this machine, or alternative recommendations for my situation. Thanks.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
If your getting older 😀, have a sore back, or enjoy a nice ride look at Ferris zero turns. I believe they are the only ones which have suspension with a suspension seat as well. 👍

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
If your getting older 😀, have a sore back, or enjoy a nice ride look at Ferris zero turns. I believe they are the only ones which have suspension with a suspension seat as well. 👍
I will 2nd that. I went with a 54" deck because I had a few spots where the 60" wouldn't fit. For trees, the ztr sits you lower than your LX so less ducking under limbs when in the trees.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
That’s my exact same mower…just mowed with it for the first time yesterday.
I love it! I have been mowing with my BX25D and 60” MMM for 8-9 seasons and finally decided to buy a zero turn. I used to mow commercially with an Exmark ZT back before I retired. It really makes mowing fun again, not to mention not dealing with the mid mount mower mounting headache as well as dropping the loader and backhoe every time.
Now the BX can stay a tractor and my Z422KW54 a dedicated mower!
Do it!
I’m glad I got the 54” too…much more nimble. And the air suspension seat is the balls!😂

Attachments

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
^^^ I have the same mower, it mows better, faster and will be easier on your back over mowing with a tractor

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I can't comment on the Kubota zero turns but once you go zero turn you won't go back. I have ran grasshoppers for well over thirty years and really like them. I have had two with Kubota engines in them the current one is a 325D with the 25 HP Kubota diesel. It has the suspension seat and forks and its really nice.

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
I'm waiting for the Electric ZTs, now only smaller or Gravely (at $32k)

• Haha

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
If maneuverability is what you want, you can't go wrong with a ZT.
I bought my current Ferris almost 20 years ago. It's a rigid frame (no suspension). The ride difference between it and a new IS model is night and day.
I would recommend looking at as many manufacturers as reasonable, there are lot's of choices.
Rigid frame machines work ok on nice flat lawns but really beat you up if things are bumpy.
Because I already own a machine I've ordered a new suspension seat. If I need to replace my ZTR in the future I'll get a suspension model with larger dia. wheels.

HowardTractor

Equipment
LX2610, B2372, PFL1242, STB10, RCK60-30BB, RB1560, PD10, WC68, RCR1260
Feb 9, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ok I broke down and did it. Picking it up on Monday. Thanks for your comments. Some of the other machines suggested looked really nice, but this is more than I wanted to spend already, and Kubota is the devil i know. Plus I can coordinate all my maintenance through the same place. If I had unlimited funds I would have gotten one of the diesels. And I am starting to see some electrics coming out. We have a battery operated push mower that works surprisingly well, but don’t think I am ready to commit to battery on a larger machine yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Ok I broke down and did it. Picking it up on Monday. Thanks for your comments. Some of the other machines suggested looked really nice, but this is more than I wanted to spend already, and Kubota is the devil i know. Plus I can coordinate all my maintenance through the same place. If I had unlimited funds I would have gotten one of the diesels. And I am starting to see some electrics coming out. We have a battery operated push mower that works surprisingly well, but don’t think I am ready to commit to battery on a larger machine yet.
Congrats! You will enjoy it!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, so how much fencing can you buy for the price of the new mower ? Say you could fence 1/2 of the 5 acres, you've just cut the mowing ordeal time in half AND got some 'starter' sheep or goats to see IF you can take care of a few animals.
Maybe an option ?

chdinct

Equipment
BX25, 54" deck, Landpride Grapple, Pallet Forks. Kubota Z422-54KW
Jun 28, 2018
CT & FL
Bought the exact same mower last fall. Looked at everything in stock in my area which wasn't much. However, this model was high on my list given spec's compared to most of the competition in the same price range. Was one of I think two ZTR's the local Kubota dealer had in stock.

So far, love mowing with it. Can't compare it to any other ZTR since it's my first. Took a little getting use to driving with the sticks, but you adjust fast. Just go slow around objects in the beginning. The only nit picks I have so far are the lack of an actual fuel gauge - just has the sight window to the tank under the seat which is hard to read unless you get off and look at it - and the dial- height knob is hard to turn in certain positions. Going to try greasing the cam gear to see if that helps.

20210909_104139.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
+1 on a Ferris for ride comfort. My is600z kaw that I bought pre-pandemic is awesome on my rutted yard. One of these days I'll use the LX to level it all out, but until then, the suspension on the Ferris is a lifesaver.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Bought the exact same mower last fall. Looked at everything in stock in my area which wasn't much. However, this model was high on my list given spec's compared to most of the competition in the same price range. Was one of I think two ZTR's the local Kubota dealer had in stock.

So far, love mowing with it. Can't compare it to any other ZTR since it's my first. Took a little getting use to driving with the sticks, but you adjust fast. Just go slow around objects in the beginning. The only nit picks I have so far are the lack of an actual fuel gauge - just has the sight window to the tank under the seat which is hard to read unless you get off and look at it - and the dial- height knob is hard to turn in certain positions. Going to try greasing the cam gear to see if that helps.

View attachment 80054
When the sales guy gave me the walk around on my new (same model) ZT, I found the height dial impossible to turn as well. He had a mechanic come over and lube it and now it turns very easily. I’ve only mowed for a half hour so far (waiting for a rainy spell to end) and the grass is really growing 😳

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Good machine. I bought a z421KW54 two weeks ago. The dealer had two left and gave me a heckuva deal on one.
It was about $2500 more than I planned to spend, but like you, I trust Kubota and having never owned a ZT before, at least I have one of the top Prosumer models. Plus paying for at 0.92% interest for 4 years, when inflation is 8.5% Yearly is another win.