Think a box blade will work for this?

Chrisnewe

Equipment
B3300su
Jan 3, 2018
Connecticut
This field is not horrible, but there are several areas of swales, dips and depressions that I want to flatten out. I have a b3300su and am in very rocky Connecticut.

Do you folks think a box blade would do the job? I also have a .2mile long shared gravel driveway that my neighbor plows and tears up every winter. Would the blade also be good for reconditioning the driveway in the Spring?

I have priced the blades at TSC. They run about $700. I never see them for sale used.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
This field is not horrible, but there are several areas of swales, dips and depressions that I want to flatten out. I have a b3300su and am in very rocky Connecticut.

Do you folks think a box blade would do the job? I also have a .2mile long shared gravel driveway that my neighbor plows and tears up every winter. Would the blade also be good for reconditioning the driveway in the Spring?

I have priced the blades at TSC. They run about $700. I never see them for sale used.

Thanks
My advice for the ground would be to find some fill dirt. Add some fill on top and use the box blade to level. On the driveway the box blade will work just fine. I keep the front up about a 1/4” from the back. Trick is to keep the box full but not overflowing. It may take several passes to smooth out the drive at first but then after hit it when it rains. Will be nice and smooth, takes out ruts and potholes very nicely. Good luck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I agree with KNF, add fill to the hollows, let sit to firm up, then level the field.
As for the driveway, farmer nirghbour would pull a heavy chain up and down up and down his 700' driveway every Sunday, after church, before lunch. Current owner is too lazy and it's now a mess.
Gravel driveways need 'help' every 2-3 weeks depending on traffic

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
X2 on the Box for the driveway. I leave mine on most of the year. Aside from dressing the drive it keeps the grass from popping up in it.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
X2 on the Box for the driveway. I leave mine on most of the year. Aside from dressing the drive it keeps the grass from popping up in it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gravel drives are best maintained not with box blades, but with "planer blades". LandPride (Kubota) and others sell them. YouTube has videos.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gravel drives are best maintained not with box blades, but with "planer blades". LandPride (Kubota) and others sell them. YouTube has videos.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gravel drives are best maintained not with a box blade but with a planer blade. youtube videos demonstrate the difference.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gravel drives are best maintained not with a box blade but with a planer blade. youtube videos demonstrate the difference.

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
Thanks for the advice. I will start by finding clean fill for the field.
Use clean sand as fill for the field; followed up by 30 mins using a 4' - 6' chain mesh drag available at TSC. The drag spreads the fill material evenly and quickly. The field grass will after 1 year, fully reclaim the field. I am doing this process right now, cuz the low areas will collect lots of water.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I agree with KNF, add fill to the hollows, let sit to firm up, then level the field.
As for the driveway, farmer nirghbour would pull a heavy chain up and down up and down his 700' driveway every Sunday, after church, before lunch. Current owner is too lazy and it's now a mess.
Gravel driveways need 'help' every 2-3 weeks depending on traffic
+1 Get some clean fill, while it “could” be done with the BB it isn’t the most efficient way to use equipment. Even an old fashioned pond scoop would work but it’ll work you to death. Experience speaking of course.