The "Go Anywhere Workbench"

XYooper906

Equipment
2014 ZD331LP w/72" deck and grass catcher/hopper. 1985 G5200H w/44" deck.
Mar 8, 2022
Williamson, GA
I think the bench could be put to good use in my shop. I like the versatility of having my benches on casters; it makes moving things either temporarily or permanently, a breeze. For example, having a bench that moves easily outside to to sharpen mower blades, cut some 2x4's, etc. helps to keep the dust and mess out of the shop. I do it all the time.

But in the pasture, woods, barnyard? Casters are absolutely useless. As others have said, adjustable legs with fairly large pads on the bottom would be far more useful. You never know how firm the ground may be, and a feet on the legs would help keep them from sinking in. If the intention of the bench is to be used on land, make it land-friendly.

As far as the bottom shelf, I agree that the lip would be insufficient to keep anything from falling off, especially if it is stacked. Perhaps a cargo netting type of system would keep everything in place and would eliminate the need for doors. And make sure the bottom shelf has some drain holes, things are going to spill and rain will get in.

Looks to be well-made. I hope you take the suggestions you get here, and make it even better!

Reactions: 1 users

BottomlessBucket

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880
I think the bench could be put to good use in my shop. I like the versatility of having my benches on casters; it makes moving things either temporarily or permanently, a breeze. For example, having a bench that moves easily outside to to sharpen mower blades, cut some 2x4's, etc. helps to keep the dust and mess out of the shop. I do it all the time.

But in the pasture, woods, barnyard? Casters are absolutely useless. As others have said, adjustable legs with fairly large pads on the bottom would be far more useful. You never know how firm the ground may be, and a feet on the legs would help keep them from sinking in. If the intention of the bench is to be used on land, make it land-friendly.

As far as the bottom shelf, I agree that the lip would be insufficient to keep anything from falling off, especially if it is stacked. Perhaps a cargo netting type of system would keep everything in place and would eliminate the need for doors. And make sure the bottom shelf has some drain holes, things are going to spill and rain will get in.

Looks to be well-made. I hope you take the suggestions you get here, and make it even better!
Thanks for the great feedback. This is exactly the kind of feedback we're looking for and we'll certainly make some mods as per your feedback.

Reactions: 1 user