The first one left the nest today

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
My wife and I dropped off our oldest son at SUNY Delhi today. It was harder on her than me. I was pretty excited for him. We still have 3 teens at home so the nest is far from empty...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We had one that wouldn't leave. Kept pushing and pushing. He was out for the night and not supposed to be home. Well around 2am the dogs starting going nuts so I got up to put them out.

Opened the back door and was met by my son. I said hi, said hi to his friend. Closed the door and went back to bed. I was in my Birthday suit. 😳😳😳

Kid informed us the next night that it was time he moved out.👍👍👍👍

If I had known all it would take to get him to move out was walking around in the buff, I would have done it a couple years before. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I will keep that in mind. The next in line can't wait to go to college but the third said they are never leaving...:devilish:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I will keep that in mind. The next in line can't wait to go to college but the third said they are never leaving...:devilish:
We had two that liked their independence. As soon they came of age, they hit the ground running and never looked back. But the one had a similar attitude and needed a good shove.

Wife said the same thing. If she had known that was all it took, she would have done it years before 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Catch your breath and enjoy the empty house as much or little it may be. For before you know it the grand children will be coming and that is a whole different world. You will be amazed how great it feels to play on the floor, change a diaper, get kicked while you sleep.. Would not trade it for the world. What a blessing they are.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I guess there is always one in every family.

Both of our girls went off to college and got married. But the middle one, a boy, we thought that he was never going to leave. After several years at home, he finally met a girl and moved out. 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Catch your breath and enjoy the empty house as much or little it may be. For before you know it the grand children will be coming and that is a whole different world. You will be amazed how great it feels to play on the floor, change a diaper, get kicked while you sleep.. Would not trade it for the world. What a blessing they are.
Absolutely! We were just discussing grandkids yesterday and I openly admitted I'm a better grandfather than I was a father. Funny how it's so easy to take things in stride with grandkids that were bothersome with the kids. Diapers don't stink as much and it's easier to clean spilled food off the floor, etc.

I have much more patience now that we are in a position that our responsibilities have changed. Less pressure to deal with now. I still work 4 days a week, but could quit tomorrow. Work is less than 1/2 hour away and in the office instead of going to different projects as much as 2 hours each way.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Time to put in a revolving door. With 4 kids, odds are that some will move back in. More than once.

Don't bother moving to another town, they'll just track you down.

Every time my daughter moved out, she got a pet. When she moved back, she brought the pet with her. When she moved out again, my wife was attached to the pet and kept it here. My greatest fear was that my daughter would buy a pony next time.

But yeah, eventually they give you grandkids, and grandkids are great. Grandkids are God's reward for not killing your own children when you had the chance. ;)

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Recent new grandfather here and could not agree more that it is a wonderful thing.
I too am a better GF than a father although our daughter turned out ok nonetheless.
She has been out of the house since college except for a year back while she reassessed he degree choice and ultimately changed course.
She and sig other and baby live just 8 miles away so visiting with grandson is easy.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Sometimes it takes incentive!

I recently pulled up to a large tilling job out in the woods for a woman I had never met before. It was a large log cabin with a 3 car detached.

I pull up in front of the place on the dirt road.

A 25yo guy comes out and basically hollers at me "what do you want?" I could tell I didn't like him already so I said, did I ask you for something? He says "What are you doing here?" I said where, out here in the road? He said "why are you parked in front of my house?" I said there is no way this is your house. I just drove 45 minutes into the woods in NH, there is no way I have the wrong place. He told me to leave.

Understand that he was hollering at me (spittle flying and everything) I thought I was in the twilight zone.

So I try to call Betsy (my contact) and have no service of coarse. Looking around I see all the doors open, a roll-off in the yard, the whole place looked disheveled.

Now a mountain of a man in farmer jeans comes out and walks out the drive to talk to me. He was walking and looking all calm so I met him in route.

He sticks his hand out and I give it a shake (no worries about the cold going around).

His exact words I will never forget.

"Sorry about my son there, he just found out today we are moving and the new place is a one bedroom. He will need to find his own way now."
I smiled, he smiled, we both understood.

Turns out Betsy was the new owner moving in later that day. Everything with their closing was a day behind.

My wife and I don't really care when the kids decide to leave as long as they are prepared to go (ask me again in a few years - lol).

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sometimes it takes incentive!

I recently pulled up to a large tilling job out in the woods for a woman I had never met before. It was a large log cabin with a 3 car detached.

I pull up in front of the place on the dirt road.

A 25yo guy comes out and basically hollers at me "what do you want?" I could tell I didn't like him already so I said, did I ask you for something? He says "What are you doing here?" I said where, out here in the road? He said "why are you parked in front of my house?" I said there is no way this is your house. I just drove 45 minutes into the woods in NH, there is no way I have the wrong place. He told me to leave.

Understand that he was hollering at me (spittle flying and everything) I thought I was in the twilight zone.

So I try to call Betsy (my contact) and have no service of coarse. Looking around I see all the doors open, a roll-off in the yard, the whole place looked disheveled.

Now a mountain of a man in farmer jeans comes out and walks out the drive to talk to me. He was walking and looking all calm so I met him in route.

He sticks his hand out and I give it a shake (no worries about the cold going around).

His exact words I will never forget.

"Sorry about my son there, he just found out today we are moving and the new place is a one bedroom. He will need to find his own way now."
I smiled, he smiled, we both understood.

Turns out Betsy was the new owner moving in later that day. Everything with their closing was a day behind.

My wife and I don't really care when the kids decide to leave as long as they are prepared to go (ask me again in a few years - lol).
That sounds like my middle son. He was supposed to be at boot camp, but they post poned his departure for a couple days. He went and hung out with a girl and never told us. So we all thought he was in Georgia.

I got a call from the neighbor that the garage door was up at my house and a strange truck was backed up to the garage. He was going over to investigate.

Son came walking around the truck and came face to face with the shot gun my neighbor was holding 😂🤣😂🤣😂😁

Son needed some clean shorts and my neighbor got a $50 gift card for a local steak house 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've never understood the "I'm going to mooch at home as long as I can" attitude.
Beside mowing and landscaping on the side, at 14, I began working at a local hardware store for 35 cents an hour weighing 50lb boxes of nails into 1lb bags & pricing them. (1968)
When I brought home my first paycheck, my parents began charging me rent. It wasn't much, but I wasn't making much either.
Everytime I got a raise, they raised my rent. Then every year I had to pay more for school supplies & clothes until by the end of high school, I was paying for nearly everything.
I actually signed a lease agreement and moved out 2 weeks before my 18th birthday, and never went back.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep I moved out and took up residence at Camp Perry for a while

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had to go onbase and get the paperwork, fill it out and ask my step-father to sign it so I could leave. Packed what I wanted into a foot locker and shipped it to my uncles. Carried all my clothes a a suitcase that folded open, so it was extra large. Went to the airport and waited for space available to get to the USA. I was 17 and just got out of HS.