The best laid plans

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well, I went out to burn the big pile of brush in the orchard,, really it is most of what was left in the orchard after everything died off ,, no biggie right? No wind to speak of so some used oil and old gas and off we go a nice easy fire,,,, nope!
As soon as it got going here comes the wind I couldnt get in 10 feet of the pile.
All the small stuff burned off leaving the big stuff, OK little bota with the push blade and I will just keep pushing things toward the middle.
Nope... BX is DOA ( maybe get a new battery this is the OEM).
Bad thing is you cant get to the battery unless you take things apart, not fun at 5F. Anyways the charger is on and Im getting warm I will give it an hour and try it again,,, And on top of that I got an adult beverage out of the fridge,, frozen slush,,,,
Some days the fun never ends 🙂

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I find this time of year you have to up the octane in your adult beverage and cut back on the mix den dat chit don't happen no more.;)

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
1642887085130.png

When Skeet wakes up from his nap to check on the pile.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
When I light off a pile of slash, I always make a sawdust candle. Get a cardboard box about a case of beer size, fill halfway with sawdust, with a big mixer, start pouring in used motor oil, and keep mixing, ass a couple handfuls if sawdust, repeat till full. Put that in the middle of your pile, when you light it off. The candle burns for 20 minutes and always seems to get the pile going, even when there snow all over.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When I light off a pile of slash, I always make a sawdust candle. Get a cardboard box about a case of beer size, fill halfway with sawdust, with a big mixer, start pouring in used motor oil, and keep mixing, ass a couple handfuls if sawdust, repeat till full. Put that in the middle of your pile, when you light it off. The candle burns for 20 minutes and always seems to get the pile going, even when there snow all over.
In the Forest when we burn piles, we use a 50-50 mix of gas and diesel. We use drip torches, but you could pour some in the pile and light it. The diesel cuts the explosive nature of gas, so the mixture burns but doesn’t flash up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well the pile burned up mostly always stragglers you have to clean up and put back onthe pile. Funny as hot as it was there are some pine logs maybe 10 inches that did not burn.. Maybe if it warms up some I will go and push the rest that didn't burn into the pile and set it off again. More snow is on the way sooooo maybe I ll just wait a bit. I found an old hand pressure sprayer filled with used motor oil works well for getting those hard spots to light .
Yall have a wonderful day and stay safe

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On the really rare occasion when I needed to burn a big pile of slash/wood/brush, I used a different sawdust candle. I watch garage sales/estate sales for fire starter logs, like these:
I have found them several times for $1ea, a few for even less.
Throw a couple of these in the pile & they will light almost anything.
I think I have 6 or 8 in the garage now, Duraflame, if I remember right.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Lucky you guys that can burn things whenever you want, and in any quantity. In my county outside burning is prohibited unless for doing barbecuing. Yes, this is true.

But people with wood stoves can burn as much as they like. Whenever they like. Mostly in winter though.

I do not have a wood stove, but burning one trash can in a year could put me in danger of a fine. I do not think this happens much though.

Are you guys feeling guilty for contributing to global warming where you are? :ROFLMAO: I would not be, and do burn when I feel like it...but nothing big, just a trash can now and then...

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I found the best fire starters are a couple of this Amazon boxes. Burns great and gets the pipe going

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lucky you guys that can burn things whenever you want, and in any quantity. In my county outside burning is prohibited unless for doing barbecuing. Yes, this is true.

But people with wood stoves can burn as much as they like. Whenever they like. Mostly in winter though.

I do not have a wood stove, but burning one trash can in a year could put me in danger of a fine. I do not think this happens much though.

Are you guys feeling guilty for contributing to global warming where you are? :ROFLMAO: I would not be, and do burn when I feel like it...but nothing big, just a trash can now and then...
Neighbor burned his trash. That was extremely annoying smelling the burning plastic.

I only burned our oak droppings. And we can burn anytime we want within reason. Only exception is windy days, or if a burn ban is in effect do to dry conditions.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Well, I went out to burn the big pile of brush in the orchard,, really it is most of what was left in the orchard after everything died off ,, no biggie right? No wind to speak of so some used oil and old gas and off we go a nice easy fire,,,, nope!
As soon as it got going here comes the wind I couldnt get in 10 feet of the pile.
All the small stuff burned off leaving the big stuff, OK little bota with the push blade and I will just keep pushing things toward the middle.
Nope... BX is DOA ( maybe get a new battery this is the OEM).
Bad thing is you cant get to the battery unless you take things apart, not fun at 5F. Anyways the charger is on and Im getting warm I will give it an hour and try it again,,, And on top of that I got an adult beverage out of the fridge,, frozen slush,,,,
Some days the fun never ends 🙂
If you have a frozen beverage…emergency situation. Light the tractor on fire to warm it up!

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
In the Forest when we burn piles, we use a 50-50 mix of gas and diesel. We use drip torches, but you could pour some in the pile and light it. The diesel cuts the explosive nature of gas, so the mixture burns but doesn’t flash up.
But the initial boom is sometimes half the excitement. It’s like the “green flag”

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
But the initial boom is sometimes half the excitement. It’s like the “green flag”
Neighbor across the street would light his grass piles with straight gasoline.

I could always tell when he was burning with out even moving off from my chair. The whoomp would rattle the pictures on the walls.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I throw oil-soaked kitty litter into the fire to get rid of the clay. Burns with some very interesting colors.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We lost a neighbor from burning leaves with gas. He did not cap the 5 gal can he used and just about the time he started picking it up to place in his side by side it flashed and exploded in his hands. He had burns to over 80% of his body, lost both arms from the elbows down and ultimately lost his battle several weeks later.
Don’t use gas.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
e: Are you guys feeling guilty for contributing to global warming where you are?

hahaha..

ZERO GW effect from burning natural trees and leaves.....whether you burn 3 bushes or Mother Nature burns 3000 acres....