TG1860G Transmission is acting up.

Kda89

Equipment
Kubota TG1860G
Jul 30, 2020
Maine
I was curious if anybody knew the amount of oil it will take to refill it, I read that Sythetic 20w50(Can't find any) is good. also need to know a good Gasket Sealer to use when I reassemble. My plan is to pop it open and check over the gears, but I'm hoping it could just need a good clean and proper amount of fluid(maybe it's low?) Also, the oil pan bolts. I've been reading they're prone to break.. Where might I find replacements lol

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the bolts are a weird style bolt-tapered on the ends, sort of like self tapping. They probably are, in other words the cast trans case most likely did not have threads after the casting process and they just run the bolts in, which would explain why they're so tight and most of the time seized when I go into them. When they break, they are harder than hammered heck to get them drilled out. NO seriously, they are HARD. They laugh at a HSS drill bit (usually) as if you were trying to drill into a piece of glass, or tool steel.

I honestly wouldn't bother going into it. Pain in the neck.

take it out of the mower frame and turn it upside down over a bucket with the fill tube removed. Let it drain for a day or 3. Make sure the bleeder screw is out. The WSM shows it. Just refill it, as I recall about 3 quarts. Synthetic is a waste, it makes no difference in an HST. 20w50 cheap stuff is fine. Only time I've noted any difference was with some dual hst equipped zero turn mowers that people like to use as demolition derby, jam the levers as hard as they can forward and backward at breakneck speeds, skidding the tires, tearing up the lawn but hey--they didn't buy it to go slow. On those types, some have noted slightly less noise but that is all. But if it makes you feel better, by all means synthetic.

the other reason I say leave the pan on is that the filter--that filter is a pain in the backside. Most people just grab it and pull, and out comes the filter seat. Well there is a spring & ball under it, if it falls out (and it almost always does), you don't know where it goes, and hydrogear doesn't tell you and neither does the WSM since the WSM more or less paraphrases what hydrogear told them. So you just have to figure it out, which is kinda fun. Reassemble it and find out that it don't move. Pull it back out, drain it, remove pan, put it in a different hole, try again.

Kda89

Equipment
Kubota TG1860G
Jul 30, 2020
Maine
the bolts are a weird style bolt-tapered on the ends, sort of like self tapping. They probably are, in other words the cast trans case most likely did not have threads after the casting process and they just run the bolts in, which would explain why they're so tight and most of the time seized when I go into them. When they break, they are harder than hammered heck to get them drilled out. NO seriously, they are HARD. They laugh at a HSS drill bit (usually) as if you were trying to drill into a piece of glass, or tool steel.

I honestly wouldn't bother going into it. Pain in the neck.

take it out of the mower frame and turn it upside down over a bucket with the fill tube removed. Let it drain for a day or 3. Make sure the bleeder screw is out. The WSM shows it. Just refill it, as I recall about 3 quarts. Synthetic is a waste, it makes no difference in an HST. 20w50 cheap stuff is fine. Only time I've noted any difference was with some dual hst equipped zero turn mowers that people like to use as demolition derby, jam the levers as hard as they can forward and backward at breakneck speeds, skidding the tires, tearing up the lawn but hey--they didn't buy it to go slow. On those types, some have noted slightly less noise but that is all. But if it makes you feel better, by all means synthetic.

the other reason I say leave the pan on is that the filter--that filter is a pain in the backside. Most people just grab it and pull, and out comes the filter seat. Well there is a spring & ball under it, if it falls out (and it almost always does), you don't know where it goes, and hydrogear doesn't tell you and neither does the WSM since the WSM more or less paraphrases what hydrogear told them. So you just have to figure it out, which is kinda fun. Reassemble it and find out that it don't move. Pull it back out, drain it, remove pan, put it in a different hole, try again.
Thank you greatly for your insight, I've talked to two seperate people that have stated it may be acting the way it is because of the Filter. I find that unlikely but, one of them quoted 200 dollars to change the filter. Might be better off letting him do it lol.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No external filters? My Hydrogear units have external spin on filters and they take 15-30 motor oil, not hydrostat fluid. I use Rotella in them and have for years. PITA to drain but I pull the charge pump cover on the bottom and let it drain from there.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If Lugbolt tells you it not worth the trouble taking apart, I would not let someone who THINKS they know how to do it mess with it. You may end up with a box of parts! My guess is he has worked on more then your friend!!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've never taken mine apart, no need to. Yes Hydrogear uses self tapping machine bolts to secure the case halves. Not the only ones either. Cheap manufacturing.

least I can drain my oil by removing the charge pump relief covers. Refilling is another story entirely.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If Lugbolt tells you it not worth the trouble taking apart, I would not let someone who THINKS they know how to do it mess with it. You may end up with a box of parts! My guess is he has worked on more then your friend!!
I second not opening it up. They are in no way even similar to the hydro gear hydrostats used in zero turns.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you guys wouldn't believe this.

Had a guy drop his off (TG1860). Insists that I change the fluid and filter in the transmission. I advised him that they are kind of expensive to do so, but he insisted--"I don't care how much it costs I want it done". It's got 331 hours on it.

Removed pan, 2 bolts broke, one on each corner. So off to the tool store to get a really hard drill bit to remove them. After removing, I had to then install a heli-coil in each hole. Filter and fluid change went fine. Bleeding went fine afterwards.

Total bill: $670. That's 5.3 hours labor + filter + oil + drill bit + 2 bolts + helicoil kit. And it could have been lots worse.

Customer was mad as a wet hen. Well I warned him--and he knew it. Paid bill, went home. Problem is, there was "some" reason he wanted me to change the fluid/filter and I don't know why. Wouldn't tell me. That leads me to believe that maybe he had some kind of problem, which a fluid & filter change won't address. There was a tiny tiny amount of brass filings in the filter element pleats so I figure it'll be back soon, and when he shows up I can almost guarantee I'm gonna be the bad guy again. Pretty much the norm for any tech.

Reactions: 1 user

orangekuby

Equipment
TG1860G, BX2200
Aug 9, 2019
United States
The internal filter is supposed to be a life time filter, not replaced. I also broke some of the pan bolts, and used better hardware when putting it back together. I used ISO40 synthetic hydraulic fluid. It's been fine for the 10 or so hours I've put on it since the rebuild last year.

I rebuilt my TG1860G transmission due to the bushing/gears breaking. For future readers, the rebuild is here (video is not monetized) ->