TG1860 seems like it has a week trans

Ryang6200

Equipment
G6200
Sep 13, 2018
Cecil township pa usa
Hi all,
I recently bought a TG1860. I cut my yard with it today and at the very end it started not wanting to climb my hill. I have a G6200 and it goes up and down no problem. Is there a way to change the trans fluid and filter? I don’t see an external filter which makes me think it’s internal. The guy i bought it off of said he “just serviced” the tractor. The fluid level on the dip stick seems to be good but i’m wondering if he might have put the wrong fluid in it? I let it cool down for about 5 minutes and it walked up the hill. Any info would be great
Thanks
Ryan

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I am not sure but I THINK it uses the same hydro as the G2160. If so changing out hydro fluid is pretty straightforward. Slide deck out and a large drain at front of trans, with a screen to clean. Filter on the back behind a metal shield it's a spin on

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Hi all,
I recently bought a TG1860. I cut my yard with it today and at the very end it started not wanting to climb my hill. I have a G6200 and it goes up and down no problem. Is there a way to change the trans fluid and filter? I don’t see an external filter which makes me think it’s internal. The guy i bought it off of said he “just serviced” the tractor. The fluid level on the dip stick seems to be good but i’m wondering if he might have put the wrong fluid in it? I let it cool down for about 5 minutes and it walked up the hill. Any info would be great
Thanks
Ryan
Yours must be different than mine. Mine does definitely NOT have a dipstick for the transmission nor any easy way to check fluid level.
I had(have had) similar issues with mine after warm, on hills.

Because I have a very slow leak I topped up the fluid with something a little thicker (which I don't recommend) through the vent tube.

and

I put another drive belt on which was ~3/8"-1/2" shorter.

The slightly shorter belt seemed to make more difference than anything. On hills it seemed like I was losing most of my power, but I think the drive belt was slipping slightly.

YMMV

Ryang6200

Equipment
G6200
Sep 13, 2018
Cecil township pa usa
Yours must be different than mine. Mine does definitely NOT have a dipstick for the transmission nor any easy way to check fluid level.
I had(have had) similar issues with mine after warm, on hills.

Because I have a very slow leak I topped up the fluid with something a little thicker (which I don't recommend) through the vent tube.

and

I put another drive belt on which was ~3/8"-1/2" shorter.

The slightly shorter belt seemed to make more difference than anything. On hills it seemed like I was losing most of my power, but I think the drive belt was slipping slightly.

YMMV
thanks for the reply. The drive belt seems tight but maybe it gets sloppy and slips when running. I will give that a try

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
thanks for the reply. The drive belt seems tight but maybe it gets sloppy and slips when running. I will give that a try
Yeah, I just bought an el-cheapo belt @ Princess Auto (Harbour Freight) for like $10-$15 or something and it's been going strong for a couple years now. At nearly 1/2" shorter, it was a little tricky to install, but made all the difference in the world.

Not saying this is your issue but maybe mine was wet (leaks , spray, etc.) and/or glazed....so, who knows.

Pretty easy to try it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but are you SURE yours has a dipstick for the transmission? (if so, I wonder where mine is--never could find it, but maybe it was replaced by a PO with this vent tube thing-a-ma-jig)..or there are different transmissions for different years. I think the TG1860 was made for 5-6yrs (1998-2003 or so and I think mine is around 1999)

Ryang6200

Equipment
G6200
Sep 13, 2018
Cecil township pa usa
Yeah, I just bought an el-cheapo belt @ Princess Auto (Harbour Freight) for like $10-$15 or something and it's been going strong for a couple years now. At nearly 1/2" shorter, it was a little tricky to install, but made all the difference in the world.

Not saying this is your issue but maybe mine was wet (leaks , spray, etc.) and/or glazed....so, who knows.

Pretty easy to try it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but are you SURE yours has a dipstick for the transmission? (if so, I wonder where mine is--never could find it, but maybe it was replaced by a PO with this vent tube thing-a-ma-jig)..or there are different transmissions for different years. I think the TG1860 was made for 5-6yrs (1998-2003 or so and I think mine is around 1999)
Without pulling the tire to stick my big head in there i actually think the dipstick i was looking at is for the gear case. It’s behind the left tire if you’re sitting on the tractor. Do you happen to know the part number for the belt you got? I found the kubota number and can’t seem to get it to cross which i know is true for alot of kubota parts

Ryang6200

Equipment
G6200
Sep 13, 2018
Cecil township pa usa
I am not sure but I THINK it uses the same hydro as the G2160. If so changing out hydro fluid is pretty straightforward. Slide deck out and a large drain at front of trans, with a screen to clean. Filter on the back behind a metal shield it's a spin on
Mine is not like that at all. I wish it was

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
No, I would have no idea of the Princess Auto Part #...I think I wrapped a string around where the belt would go or maybe some other method that I no longer recall.

You're in PA, USA I think, so I doubt the Princess Auto Part# would do you much good !

Go to Messicks.com website and look up parts for the TG1860...maybe you'll get lucky and find dimensions for the drive belt, then, armed with that knowledge, you can walk into somewhere that sells lots of belts and get one of the same dimensions (or a little bit shorter; if you're feeling brave, :) .

HTH

Ryang6200

Equipment
G6200
Sep 13, 2018
Cecil township pa usa
No, I would have no idea of the Princess Auto Part #...I think I wrapped a string around where the belt would go or maybe some other method that I no longer recall.

You're in PA, USA I think, so I doubt the Princess Auto Part# would do you much good !

Go to Messicks.com website and look up parts for the TG1860...maybe you'll get lucky and find dimensions for the drive belt, then, armed with that knowledge, you can walk into somewhere that sells lots of belts and get one of the same dimensions (or a little bit shorter; if you're feeling brave, :) .

HTH
I talked with the guys i know at NAPA and they are on the case. Thanks for everything i’ll let you know how it turns out

Reactions: 1 user