Temp storage building

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I have been needing some extra storage so I can clear out some garage and workshop space. The end game will be building a pole barn, but that is still 2-3 years off. For the short term I picked up one of these on sale.
shelterlogic.PNG

Setting it up next to my detached garage. The ground slopes about 6" where it is going so I had to level it out.
Starting.JPG

CutIn.JPG

Going to use railroad ties as the edge foundation. Still have to do some shovel and leveling work. I want the ties on the high side a little above ground level so rain doesn't just flood in. The structure will be lagged down to the railroad ties and then I am bringing in a load of gravel for the floor to make it a level surface. Probably bring in about 20 tons since I also want to expand my driveway parking area etc.
Tie1.JPG

Tie2.JPG

Not going to be perfect, but it should serve its purpose until a permanent structure can be built.

Reactions: 4 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When I put mine up I laid out 4 railroad ties and placed the tent on top of them. This allows the ROPS to pass under the doorway in the upright position.

It has been money very well spent for me.

View attachment 73323

Reactions: 1 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
When I put mine up I laid out 4 railroad ties and placed the tent on top of them. This allows the ROPS to pass under the doorway in the upright position.

View attachment 73323
Interesting. I am going to have to take some measurements. The ROPS on my BX2200 isn’t very high. I am thinking it should fit in the 8’ door.

I should probably verify the door height

Reactions: 1 user

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana

View attachment 73323
My ROPS is 72”. The door opening is 78”. So just enough.

Just eyeballed it in the store. Glad I was right

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you make the ties 2 rows high you will be able to weedwhack around it to keep it looking nice. From experience build the frame on the driveway and measure the dimensions. Mine was not close to the 10 by 17 feet and I had to adjust the ties to make it work.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
If you make the ties 2 rows high you will be able to weedwhack around it to keep it looking nice. From experience build the frame on the driveway and measure the dimensions. Mine was not close to the 10 by 17 feet and I had to adjust the ties to make it work.
Thanks for the pointers. I will see about building the frame elsewhere and moving it

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Unless you put a gutter on the roof of that building and/ or install some sort of foundation drainage around the rail ties, you will get water in the enclosure. The temp shelters are great, but ya gotta keep the ground from getting saturated. Otherwise the shelter becomes a steamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
As Eviltwin says, these are notorious for building condensation inside. In warmer months I roll up the back (non door) side quite a bit to allow airflow and I also cut off the bottom 6 or 8 inches of cover that lay on the ground to allow some air in. These are a "good not great" solution to temporary storage but fit the bill while we await lumber prices resetting. Don't forget to fold your seat forward or have a have a rag ready. You will find a wet seat otherwise. I have mine on a paved driveway beside a garage, used the supplied pins to anchor it in and its holding strong. Starting to show signs of sun wear now after it's 4th year.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I was thinking a bit this morning, because I want to do something similar until we can put up a steel building for the RV and tractor...
Maybe lay some perforated pipe in a gravel bed on the uphill side along the base of the ties. Drain the open end around the ends of the ties to lead water away. Another thought was laying heavy mil plastic sheeting under the gravel in the shelter to help keep ground moisture from percolating through.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Had 1 of those until Mother Nature got mad at me....
'racked' it real bad.....so next one I added a diagonal 'V' braces from front top to down center to rear top, on both sides.
That was fine until Ol' Man winter disapproved of something I said..., too that shed away.....
Ended up building 4 2by4/ply side with steel roof sheds in 2014, still standing today !

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Had 1 of those until Mother Nature got mad at me....
'racked' it real bad.....so next one I added a diagonal 'V' braces from front top to down center to rear top, on both sides.
That was fine until Ol' Man winter disapproved of something I said..., too that shed away.....
Ended up building 4 2by4/ply side with steel roof sheds in 2014, still standing today !
We haven’t been getting too much snow recently, but it is open farm land around so we do get some decent winds.

A few people I have talked to that have had them say it is important to keep them closed during windy times or else the canvas gets all ripped up

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You can go crazy and put a corrugated tin roof on and some side panels. There are a few U tubes where folks have used the frame to build some pretty nice sheds.
My luck, momma nature would relocate it and the tractor to Oz

• Haha

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I have two. One is permanent and the other only for the winter months. Both have a gable vent installed in the back wall. It makes a huge difference in the amount of condensation inside.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
When you get the fabric up and over the frame, don't stretch it too tight. It'll last about a year, and start ripping along the ridgepole. Had 2 - turning one into a greenhouse using just the frame, cause the fabric is junk, and GAVE the 2nd one to a neighbor. Bit the bullet and had a metal building erected in their place.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
When you get the fabric up and over the frame, don't stretch it too tight. It'll last about a year, and start ripping along the ridgepole. Had 2 - turning one into a greenhouse using just the frame, cause the fabric is junk, and GAVE the 2nd one to a neighbor. Bit the bullet and had a metal building erected in their place.
I am hoping I can get a couple years.

When the canvas wears out I was thinking about something like this.....maybe.

Canvas ShelterLogic Metal

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Got this put up yesterday. Not too bad, although the wind made putting the cover over it interesting. I still have to have a load of gravel brought in to fill in the floor.
A6E24A6A-B3A8-4697-9795-16A806F456C6.jpeg

3CA26A5C-BA7C-4BB1-BEEB-097A61A09F7F.jpeg

Hope to get the gravel done this week.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I see what you mean about the fabric and the ridgepoles. I tried to not put much tension on it, but we well see. I was almost wondering if I could put some hind of cushion on the corners of the poles between them and The canvas

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I see what you mean about the fabric and the ridgepoles. I tried to not put much tension on it, but we well see. I was almost wondering if I could put some hind of cushion on the corners of the poles between them and The canvas
Not sure if there is enough room, but you could see if pool noodles would work on the corners. Cut to length and split them down the middle. Wrap around the poles. Alternatively you could use the rubber pipe insulator wrap.
Not the right ID, but same thing.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Not sure if there is enough room, but you could see if pool noodles would work on the corners. Cut to length and split them down the middle. Wrap around the poles. Alternatively you could use the rubber pipe insulator wrap.
Not the right ID, but same thing.
this could work. The bars that hold the canvas down on the sides are adjustable and can be moved up or down to adjust the tension on the cover. I could probably loosen them and get some pipe insulation in there.