Tell me what NOT to do!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
As for speed ranges, L is for Loader, M is for mowing, 3 point work or brush hogging and H is for traveling (Highway).
Good points all, BUT:

The M for 3-point attachment work and bush hogging in my case usually means dropping down to L for many operations. Especially if the 3-point is dragging any ground engaging implements like a sub-soiler or plow. Or I'm working with the box scraper moving soil and gravel around.
And very often if the loader is hauling any distances then I'll travel loaded in M on even terrain. With the loaded FEL dropped as low as safelty drivable.
The L,M ranges are often switched between in my case for those reasons.
And the 4WD lever is switched on and off regularly too. With it on for heavy front load traction enhancement, any turning on soft growith the load, und will chew the ground up a bit every turn. So I'll often use the 4WD while loading up then drop to 2WD to travel and turn on level ground as long as the back wheels have good traction.

Reactions: 1 user

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Be VERY careful adding fuel - a little contamination can cause a lot of problems (ask me how I know). I now use 2 filters - a Mr. Funnel and a stainless one that fits in the tank neck (amazon has them).

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Howdy. I just bought a brand new L3560HST. Got a bucket and a mower too. I have never owned or operated any of this equipment. Looking for advice on things one shouldn't do. Like: "don't drive perpendicular through a ditch with your mower attached, you'll break the PTO shaft!"
Should do's are ok too. I'm reading the manual, so that should cover most maintenance type things.
No matter what the reason, what the relationship, under no circumstances ever, ever, loan your tractor to anyone. Second, don't even consider letting anyone else ever sit in the seat when the tractor is running, because if they don't own it, they won't respect it and will do something stupid and damage it!

Reactions: 2 users

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Don’t operate your tractor with the parking brake on. Don’t ask me how I know.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Lots of great advice already shared…Beyond getting familiar with the machine and basic maintenance and pre operation checks, especially when you first get it / use it get it to temperature, I’d park it on concrete and let it set there for a while to see if anything dripping…if not concrete put some cardboard under it….beyond that as always, go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
First rule of new tractor ownership is "never a borrower nor lender be"
Yep. Like a chainsaw. Just don't. I don't care if it's your brother. Just don't.

It's one thing to go to someone's place and do some work for them. It's quite another to let someone take it and use it.

Speaking of rear ballast.... One of these and one of these will take care of that need, and it's adjustable. Just add water!

A bit of a bevel and some rounding of edges makes the carryall much easier to use for this and all other tasks.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Be VERY careful adding fuel - a little contamination can cause a lot of problems (ask me how I know). I now use 2 filters - a Mr. Funnel and a stainless one that fits in the tank neck (amazon has them).
Can you post the link to that stainless steel funnel?

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada

meridien

Equipment
2017 L3301HST, LA525, RCR1260
Aug 11, 2021
SE Indiana
I would suggest that you NOT leave 4WD engaged if you're turning on pavement.

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
Very helpful thread. Reassuring to see some of the thoughts I have had and things I thought I "knew" confirmed by others with experience ;) Just got my first tractor yesterday, have not even sat in the seat yet ;) L3010HST

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Very helpful thread. Reassuring to see some of the thoughts I have had and things I thought I "knew" confirmed by others with experience ;) Just got my first tractor yesterday, have not even sat in the seat yet ;) L3010HST
As you're a newby then. I'll have to ask you to make sure to wear your safety boots around the tractor!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As you're a newby then. I'll have to ask you to make sure to wear your safety boots around the tractor!
That’s a good one. Just a few days ago I popped the locks on the SSQA to drop the bucket and negligently had my right foot just under the left loader arm, which came down on my steel toed boot with more force than my foot would have preferred had I been in tennis shoes. Unlaced my boot to retrieve my foot, raised the loader, reinstalled my boot, and continued on while giving myself a stern talking to. Safety toed boots have made an injury into a mild oopsie numerous times in numerous situations for me over the years.

Reactions: 3 users

Orange L4310

Equipment
L4310, GR2110, Deere 450b
Oct 31, 2022
Appalachia
That’s a good one. Just a few days ago I popped the locks on the SSQA to drop the bucket and negligently had my right foot just under the left loader arm, which came down on my steel toed boot
With that said, tip bucket/forks/etc up and off ground to release QA levers. Tipped down implement will be swinging or fall off. Tipped up nothing moves until your back on tractor to lower loader arms.