Tach and fuel gauge with lights

dormantflyer

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Aug 20, 2022
Manitoba Canada
Hey all. I have a B6200HSTD. One of the things that bug me is when I am working in the dark and I can't see what RPM I'm running at or how much fuel I have since the gauge aren't lit. I am thinking of replacing them. Can I go digital? Has anyone done this and have advice to offer?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked up Kparts to see what you have...
Mech tach...
It'd be a LOT cheaper and easier to just add a couple LED 'gauge lights'. Something like 'license plate ' lighting may work for you. A lot depends on where you can mount the lights.

going digital would involve finding a tach that connects to the cable you have( big issue.....),fuel has a 'calibration' problem when you find an gauge. Can it be done, sure...either bodging 'off the shelf' parts or designing, making your own. One tach 'cheat' is to use the dyno/alt speed as your tach sensor.
If you built an 'eyebrow / crown' for the dash ,you can put the LEDs in there and light up the entire dash.
Also it 'might' be possible to drill holes in the gauges to install LEDS from the back( like most after market gauges do.... Obviously be careful drilling...oopsy costs you a new gauge !

dormantflyer

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Aug 20, 2022
Manitoba Canada
I looked up Kparts to see what you have...
Mech tach...
It'd be a LOT cheaper and easier to just add a couple LED 'gauge lights'. Something like 'license plate ' lighting may work for you. A lot depends on where you can mount the lights.

going digital would involve finding a tach that connects to the cable you have( big issue.....),fuel has a 'calibration' problem when you find an gauge. Can it be done, sure...either bodging 'off the shelf' parts or designing, making your own. One tach 'cheat' is to use the dyno/alt speed as your tach sensor.
If you built an 'eyebrow / crown' for the dash ,you can put the LEDs in there and light up the entire dash.
Also it 'might' be possible to drill holes in the gauges to install LEDS from the back( like most after market gauges do.... Obviously be careful drilling...oopsy costs you a new gauge !
Thanks! I'll take a look at some of those options. Was hoping for easier but it is what it is.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
If it were me and the gauges were working perfectly (other than being darker at night), I'd rig up 2 tiny LED's as "license plate lights" like a previous poster mentioned.

You may even be able to integrate a small LED (not a bulb, just a diode, the size of a grain of rice) into the gauge itself or laying on top of it, etc.

2nd option was already mentioned.

Gottaluv the headlamp!

Replacing with digital gauges (even it were possible) seems like a mighty bit of overkill and potentially complicated. ie: is your tach mechanical? Can you match the resistance of your fuel sender with something digital that uses the same range of resistances? If you can't answer these questions (and no offense intended), then the previous 2 solutions are the ones for you. I doubt very much there is a "plug n' play digital solution for an old tractor like that)

dormantflyer

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Aug 20, 2022
Manitoba Canada
If it were me and the gauges were working perfectly (other than being darker at night), I'd rig up 2 tiny LED's as "license plate lights" like a previous poster mentioned.

You may even be able to integrate a small LED (not a bulb, just a diode, the size of a grain of rice) into the gauge itself or laying on top of it, etc.

2nd option was already mentioned.

Gottaluv the headlamp!

Replacing with digital gauges (even it were possible) seems like a mighty bit of overkill and potentially complicated. ie: is your tach mechanical? Can you match the resistance of your fuel sender with something digital that uses the same range of resistances? If you can't answer these questions (and no offense intended), then the previous 2 solutions are the ones for you. I doubt very much there is a "plug n' play digital solution for an old tractor like that)
Thanks! I'm sensing a theme. I'll pursue some of the options you guys mentioned.

BobbyK

Equipment
1995 B2400
May 20, 2018
Petrolia, Ontario
Are your gauges just set in the steel dash?
If so, you could attach a small visor across the top of the dash and attach a LED strip to the underside of that.
That should illuminate your gauges.

Reactions: 1 user

dormantflyer

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Aug 20, 2022
Manitoba Canada
Thanks all for the replies. I will look at making a visor with embedded LED light strips. I have a 3D printer so I will CAD up something that will hopefully blend in with the dash without looking too bad.

Reactions: 1 user