T2290 Drive Belt Replacement

Chuckinnj

Equipment
RTV500, BX2230, T2290
Sep 13, 2020
New Jersey
I have a T2290KWT lawn tractor and I need to change the main drive belt from the engine to the hydro axle along with the idler pulleys......... Any tips?
I cannot find any shop repair info about doing this job.

William S.

Equipment
T2290-KWT48
Jan 16, 2023
Apollo, Pa
I have a T2290KWT lawn tractor and I need to change the main drive belt from the engine to the hydro axle along with the idler pulleys......... Any tips?
Chuckinnj, what year did you buy this mower? Did you ever find any tips or shop repair info that explains how to do this job? I bought the same mower in 2018, and last month I had to shell out over $500 to get a $30 drive belt replaced. Why Kubota engineers decided that attaching a steel plate to the bottom of the tractor was a great idea, is beyond me. Another way to soak more money from their customers…. You would think they would at the very least offer customers that bought this model, with the steel plate on the bottom, either a break on the repair charges, or provide some clear instructions in a shop manual for the DIYer on how to perform this repair. Please let me know if you found anything…. Thanks!

William S.

Equipment
T2290-KWT48
Jan 16, 2023
Apollo, Pa
Chuckinnj, did you ever find any detailed description of how to replace the main drive belt on the T2290KWT? I recently had Kubota replace it for me, and I don’t want to throw them another $500+ dollars, to replace a $30 belt ever again. Kubota Corporation evidentally is happy with their overly complicated engineering they did, hiding the drive belt, so they can rip customers off…. Any information is appreciated!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
C40002.png

curious, dwg from K Can, I do't see any 'big deal' about replacing the belt,though deck belt has to be off first.The 'route' seems common to MTD, CC, etc.,changed a LOT of them over the years.

William S.

Equipment
T2290-KWT48
Jan 16, 2023
Apollo, Pa
View attachment 97105
curious, dwg from K Can, I do't see any 'big deal' about replacing the belt,though deck belt has to be off first.The 'route' seems common to MTD, CC, etc.,changed a LOT of them over the years.
GrennsvilleJay, is this drawing specifically for the T2290KWT? Are there any detailed instructions that you know of (repair manual, etc.) that describe the process to replace the main drive belt? I’m a pretty good DIYer, that can fix most things, given a manual that describes the process……

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I went to Kubota Canada's website, 'parts finder', typed in T2290KWT and only ONE hit. Drawing is from the 'HST' section. I wondered what the 'deal' was as the 'layout' is very,very common.
I do the following...
1) remove deck belt and deck (deck goes on bench for cleaning usually....) frees up 'working space' !
2) clamp clutch down to release drive belt tension
3) remove belt off engine drive pulley,maybe loosen guides if need to....
4) snake belt off the 2 tensioning pulleys
5) drop belt of 'small right rear ' pulley
6) loosen the HST pulley guide if needed
7) carefully snake belt off HST pulley.one hand on each side of belt,hold one, push other, belt gets 'bigger' around pulley, and it'll come off.... Once you do this a couple times, you'll get the hang of it.
8) loose belt comes forward,down and out.

Installation is simple the reverse ,so 5-10 minutes. It helps if you have GOOD lighting !

William S.

Equipment
T2290-KWT48
Jan 16, 2023
Apollo, Pa
I went to Kubota Canada's website, 'parts finder', typed in T2290KWT and only ONE hit. Drawing is from the 'HST' section. I wondered what the 'deal' was as the 'layout' is very,very common.
I do the following...
1) remove deck belt and deck (deck goes on bench for cleaning usually....) frees up 'working space' !
2) clamp clutch down to release drive belt tension
3) remove belt off engine drive pulley,maybe loosen guides if need to....
4) snake belt off the 2 tensioning pulleys
5) drop belt of 'small right rear ' pulley
6) loosen the HST pulley guide if needed
7) carefully snake belt off HST pulley.one hand on each side of belt,hold one, push other, belt gets 'bigger' around pulley, and it'll come off.... Once you do this a couple times, you'll get the hang of it.
8) loose belt comes forward,down and out.

Installation is simple the reverse ,so 5-10 minutes. It helps if you have GOOD lighting !
Thanks for the description! I’ll check out the Canadian website as well…..