T1760 dies after 15min of operation

A340Mech

Equipment
T1760
Dec 1, 2021
Ontario
I have a mystery on my hands this machine will die after 15 minutes of operation. I’ve checked the carburetor, change the fuel lines.check the fuel pump, check the fuel filter. I’ve done compression test adjusted the valves check the fuel shut off solenoid oil pressure solenoid safety switches etc. Coil packs ohm checked ok as well. Yesterday I decided to do an ohm check of the Igniter box and found some of the readings were not on spec. Does anyone know if a faulty igniter box can produce this symptom?? A new igniter box is $400 so I don’t really want to replace that unless I’m sure it is at fault…?? I’m stumped!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How about a clogged fuel cap that is creating a vacuum on the fuel system

Run with cap loose or off and see if that makes a differene

After it dies - pull the plug and check for spark ...... that may tell a story.

Since it is a V twin - it may be the coil is getting hot and thus creating an open circuit. You check that after it quit?

Reactions: 1 user

A340Mech

Equipment
T1760
Dec 1, 2021
Ontario
How about a clogged fuel cap that is creating a vacuum on the fuel system

Run with cap loose or off and see if that makes a differene

After it dies - pull the plug and check for spark ...... that may tell a story.

Since it is a V twin - it may be the coil is getting hot and thus creating an open circuit. You check that after it quit?
cap was confirmed good, I drilled out the vent hole just in case. I don't think I checked for spark immediately after it quits so I will try that. I did check both coils' resistance and they were within spec but not when hot....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
cap was confirmed good, I drilled out the vent hole just in case. I don't think I checked for spark immediately after it quits so I will try that. I did check both coils' resistance and they were within spec but not when hot....

that ol gettting hot thing - I had one that was a royal PITA ........ once it got hot ......would not run!!!!!!!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If the float is sticking in the carburetor or the passage is restricted you could be running out of fuel to feed the engine. If the carburetor has a shut off solenoid it could be overheating and cutting off fuel.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Oh boy I fought one of these for over a year, same thing

tried everything!!

Reluctant to say, it was a simple fix. Fuel line routing. The factory fuel line runs kinda close to the exhaust and it boils the fuel. Rerouted it, fixed the problem.

Another potential issue (and probably don't have much to do with it dying after 15min), the original fuel pump has a "weep" hole at the bottom of it. If the diaphragm in the pump dies, it will leak fuel onto the muffler, and it usually make big fire. If you have this style pump, replace it asap. The new pump has a nipple on it which is where a hose goes, you put the included hose on it and route it away from the muffler. MUCH less fire potential. Fire no good (as stated by a japanese engineer at kawaski).

normally spark related stuff, won't run for more than 5 minutes. NORMALLY. That and kawasaki spark related issues are kinda rare at least on that kawasaki engine. Some of the really old stuff different story.

easy way to diagnose. Go use the mower normally. When it begins to die, choke it immediately. Does it pick up and run a little longer? If yes, you have a fuel problem. If no, you likely have a spark problem.

on the igniter box ohm test, the test is inconclusive and I don't even rely on it. I had (might still have?) a known good one I use to test. Plug it in, if it runs better, that's the problem.