Switching grease and pondering compatibility issues

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Appreciate the replies. Ive seen all the above charts on compatability and the messicks video I saw a long time ago. Grease is just another one of those things where you get 500 opinions when you start asking, so it often doesnt help to ask. Im going to just follow my own research and come up with something. I still havent used the 238 schaeffers on anything and wont until I figure out what Im going to do.
Well, the good news is that you will probably (95%+) be fine with whatever you choose, as long as you buy a reputable brand grease that is formulated for the intended purpose.

The bad news is that you can pay more (for grease and grease guns) and use multiple greases (more effort) to get the same results as using one reasonably priced good quality grease - but you may enjoy the process. :)

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Im going to just follow my own research and come up with something. I still havent used the 238 schaeffers on anything and wont until I figure out what Im going to do.
this is pretty much what happened to me. I got all gun-ho about using two greases, started 'researching', spun myself into confusion because internet, shelved the entire idea :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The bad news is that you can pay more (for grease and grease guns) and use multiple greases (more effort) to get the same results as using one reasonably priced good quality grease
That's why I use the Lucas red n tacky now. Under $4.00/tube and works just fine. I can also add that I've never had a part seize, fail, or wear out while using this product. Including the abused mower spindles on my 1998 Honda 4120 which my wife runs.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Well to be honest, I feel I could use the schaefers 238 in everything I own and probably be fine. I am aware it is likely not ideal for every case, but with the low hours I put on equipment, it likely wouldn't actually cause much harm in the long run. Ive seen people run PTO shafts with no grease for years for example - yea its not recommended and far from ideal, but ive seen it happen and the PTO shaft keeps right on working, year after year. Ive seen rototillers where people never changed the oil and rarely greased, they keep on working. The problem for me is that I am a perfectionist, and when It comes to any equipment, computers, or other material investment, I always go for the best. because of that I have tried to find the best grease, no matter the price. Saving $10 on a years worth of grease to me is really nothing if spending that extra $10 means superior protection. Anytime it comes to fluids, oils, grease, filters, anything on my equipment I research and go for the top stuff. Going cheap on stuff you change once a year like oil just makes zero sense to me. Grease has of course proven to be a monster, simply because there are so many applications of grease. Pressure, Heat, Pins, Bearings, Gears, etc. and for each use case there are multiple types of options, and for each type, there are multiple brands all with their own twist.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, if you have not seen this video. #8 is about Polyurea grease, and it comes to the same conclusion as the Messick's video.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
FWIW, if you have not seen this video. #8 is about Polyurea grease, and it comes to the same conclusion as the Messick's video.

Yes, I have watched a lot of these videos. Also the video tractor time with tim did with the guy from lube shuttle in germany. He recommended his lithium based grease if you were going to pick one grease to use for tractor type applications.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Yes, I have watched a lot of these videos. Also the video tractor time with tim did with the guy from lube shuttle in germany. He recommended his lithium based grease if you were going to pick one grease to use for tractor type applications.
I will take Messick's and Tractor Mike over Tractor Time with Tim - every time. :LOL:

Good luck with your choice/choices.

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
I will take Messick's and Tractor Mike over Tractor Time with Tim - every time. :LOL:

Good luck with your choice/choices.
Yes, I'd sure agree with the luck part.

And I did get - if not an answer - at least some more to think about as to whether a discussion about grease compatibility made more sense based on the grease or based on compatible opinions.
And in the bargain I also begin to understand a few other things I was wondering about.

Some of us old guys start questioning all kinds of things we used to just accept when we were younger.

Since grease is basically a base material carrier and a lubricant, I think I'll just add the lubrication part of the grease when I re-lube the sealed steering ball joints on the M59. Using a needle through the rubber covering, I can add a viscous oil (grease's lubrication component) to the existing carrier material. That way the base material compatibility is assured.
rScotty

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m kind of surprised the thread is still going. Most grease fittings only hold a tiny bit of grease and even if they were incompatible the old would be pushed out after a few greasings.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
FWIW, In Jan of this year I was on the same search for "1 Grease for All Applications".......contacted Schaeffer Co with my needs that included FEL, General Lube, and Zero Turn Blade Spindles......their recommendation was Schaeffer's 219 NLGI #2 SynForce Green Grease.

However after much research, I decided to go with 2 different grease types, as the all this equipment is too expensive to cut corners for convenience and a couple of dollars............my $.02!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s not “perfectionist” to resort to one-size-fits-all. That is termed “compromised”. ;)