Suggestion - How about starting a newbie introduction section?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
A new member recently mentioned in a post that he was looking for a newbie introduction section on the site. That seemed to be a good idea to me. I remember when I first joined the site that I was thinking the same thing. I felt a little strange making my first post without anyone knowing who I was and maybe a little about myself. What do others think?

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Army

along those same lines - I think we need to have a TOP 50 list of "Newbie things to remember - and never forget"

For ideas as simple as :

Travel with FEL low when moving loads
Check brakes to see if it is locked before moving
Check oil levels across machine
Rops and seatbelt go together...

So - what say we get 50 (or more) common newbie needs to know items

this way as they introduce themselves - we can point them to the page where WE HAVE made a mistake or three!!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think several newcomers have commented on the fact there is no "introductions" forum.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Army

along those same lines - I think we need to have a TOP 50 list of "Newbie things to remember - and never forget"

For ideas as simple as :

this way as they introduce themselves - we can point them to the page where WE HAVE made a mistake or three!!!
I love that idea. I am BBQing my supper right now so I will contribute to this a little later.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I echo the same thoughts. I was looking and looking for the proper place to make the first post and introduction and could never find it. Finally decided to just risk it and make a post, then two, then three,................and soon was off and running. But it would be nice to have an official spot to jump in for the firs time.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Army

For ideas as simple as :

I am wondering how one would create a list of the top 50 things to remember. My list would be vastly different that for someone with the larger tractors.

Maybe we could develop a list of common things to remember to do such as checking oil level, tire pressures, coolant level and so on. Maybe even sub-categorize into under hood things to check, around the tractor checks, functional checks and so on. Sort of like per-flight checks for aircraft.

If we can break down all the areas of function and list checks for those functions, it could wind up being a very good reference for everyone. How about it mods?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are probably a couple of threads discussing beginner safety features. Probably just need to sort through them and list them numerically.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
There are probably a couple of threads discussing beginner safety features. Probably just need to sort through them and list them numerically.
I agree, there are several through the years that I have read. However, having them in one place would be nice.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It should be easy to create an introduction topic in the Off Topic forum and just pin it to the top.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Along with safety - we could have a list of "checks" when the tractor will not start suddenly.
Not necessarily a flow chart type - rather a check this as key is turned and move this as key is turned.
I agree, the vastness of machine would be troublesome to cover all specific things to those tractors.
Could also cover safety of implements too. I.E. - pto covers and those often forgotten parts that owners forget to do.
IF you wish - shoot me ideas and I will generate a list - or try to!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Along with safety - we could have a list of "checks" when the tractor will not start suddenly.
Not necessarily a flow chart type - rather a check this as key is turned and move this as key is turned.
I agree, the vastness of machine would be troublesome to cover all specific things to those tractors.
Could also cover safety of implements too. I.E. - pto covers and those often forgotten parts that owners forget to do.
IF you wish - shoot me ideas and I will generate a list - or try to!
Maybe we could break it down to family types like BX Family and B Family and so on. That probably would localize common issues and maintenance at least within a family of equipment.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
As a newbie, may I chime in? Yes an introduction section is a great idea. Some folks have been on here a while and a new comer feels outside the circle. So a place to introduce ones self would be nice.
As for trying to come up with pre made posts or treads, I thing your over thinking it. Add an article and add it to that section (I read every one).
If I have a question of a basic function, I don't want to directed someplace else, I want to interact with those of you with experience. Its guys like you that give the forum life. You are the most important ingredient, not a check list.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
As a newbie, may I chime in? Yes an introduction section is a great idea. Some folks have been on here a while and a new comer feels outside the circle. So a place to introduce ones self would be nice.
As for trying to come up with pre made posts or treads, I thing your over thinking it. Add an article and add it to that section (I read every one).
If I have a question of a basic function, I don't want to directed someplace else, I want to interact with those of you with experience. Its guys like you that give the forum life. You are the most important ingredient, not a check list.
Your point is well taken.

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
So, as a very brand new newbie, is there now a place to do an "Introduction?

My name is Pat, I am in Delaware, and I just acquired a 15 year old BX22.
Friends had it, but it had been sitting for about three years, has a dead battery, a hydraulic leak or two, and the estimate they got from the local servicing dealer for repairs was about $3000. They called and asked if I wanted it.
Always up for a project I said yes!

It was caked with leaf debris and looked more black than orange when delivered. This is after half an hour of power washing.

I put a new battery in it, and it wants to start and run, but it runs rough and dies after about five seconds, as if it is running on only two of its three cylinders.
I'm looking forward to the advice from the experienced members of this forum as I jump into this...
Thanks in advance!

BX22.jpg

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pat
welcome to the forum - you will find damn near ever answer to every question that you can ask..... I say with fingers crossed.

That is a great machine btw - it will move mountains, one small bite at a time!

I think you need to start from fuel tank back and get all new filters and what not to the pump and see if those injectors will clear up.

When is starts or tries - is it bellowing smoke? what does it do?

I believe the BX22 was based off the BX2200 model - I might be wrong, but check this out to see if this helps you - the work shop manual.

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...r Owners Manuals/&file=BX1800_2200_EN WSM.pdf

1607693423204.png

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pat,

you will find those filters that came on these machines are ..... well - not the best in the world. Many of us have rerouted the filters to use a RACOR filter.

While you are up under this machine - this might be a good course of action to first - eliminate getting under to change the filter(s) and also have the ability to remove any condensation at the filter.
There are two filters as my diagram I sent in the other post. Both the same - this replaces the tank filter and the filter near the injector will hardly ever need to be changed.
2020-05-13 18.30.14.jpg

2020-10-19 17.57.54.jpg

pgwisn

Equipment
BX22
Dec 6, 2020
East Coast USA
old and tired and 85Hokie,
thanks for the welcome.
I'll start a thread in the other area, as old and tired suggests.
A little cold out today and a full few days of work ahead, so I'll update my progress as I am able to get back to it.
Thanks again!