Stupid question of the day...

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
If I am filling my tractor with Diesel from the local gas station then I don't need to worry about Anit-Gel until it gets down to what temperature? Does adding anti-gel when you don't need it harmful?

Bonus question #2. Does anyone use grease caps? Seems nicer than having a glob of grease hanging onto the fitting to protect it.....

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Never heard of adding anti gel being a problem. But trusting what the service station sells you could be a concern. Me? I just add it and don’t give it a second thought.

Reactions: 3 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
For the fuel, winter blend is used as temperatures are projected to be at -7 degrees. Diesel can actually begin to gel well before that. Here in Georgia, we start getting winter fuel in December when our temps start regularly dropping to the 20’s. I know when we get it because my truck mileage drops about 2 mpg. Where you are located determines what your winter blend will be. So if your tractor is going to be sitting for long periods in extreme cold, the safe option is to add anti gel, mixed to the desired temp you are trying to protect for. Now, you can use kerosene to mix with your #2 diesel, which is what winter blend is. Usually at a 75/25 Diesel/kerosene) mix. Or just buy an anti gel, add it to the tank and add the fuel on top of it.

Anti gel is not harmful. With the Power Service White, it’s actually a benefit because of the cleaning and lubrication properties.

Reactions: 1 users

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
For the fuel, winter blend is used as temperatures are projected to be at -7 degrees. Diesel can actually begin to gel well before that. Here in Georgia, we start getting winter fuel in December when our temps start regularly dropping to the 20’s. I know when we get it because my truck mileage drops about 2 mpg. Where you are located determines what your winter blend will be. So if your tractor is going to be sitting for long periods in extreme cold, the safe option is to add anti gel, mixed to the desired temp you are trying to protect for. Now, you can use kerosene to mix with your #2 diesel, which is what winter blend is. Usually at a 75/25 Diesel/kerosene) mix. Or just buy an anti gel, add it to the tank and add the fuel on top of it.

Anti gel is not harmful. With the Power Service White, it’s actually a benefit because of the cleaning and lubrication properties.
That is what I needed to know. Obviously diesel cars and trucks aren't using Anti-gel unless things get extreme so I figured I was fine using quality Gas Station Diesel. But its good to know I can add the PS White without worrying about overdoing it. Thank you!

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Few years ago I got caught having summer diesel still in the tank as winter hit quick. Never again. I put fuel treatment in every time I fill the 5 gallon jug. It's now habit and I don't have to think about if I did or didn't.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I use Stabil All Season Diesel Additive in every one of my fill ups. No issues.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.

Winter blend is a dubble edge sword . They cut diesal with Kerosene to much you can get per combustion. Know this from the Quarry i ran Cat gen. sets 34-16's popping pistons. Come to find out all fuel was blended & perameturs were all over place / Had to store fuel test daily & adjust before using. Had to add tanks to hold the additional fuel. We used 4 to 6 trailer loads a day. It did solve the Problum .

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There’s some misinformation being distributed here…

Diesel begins to “gel” at and below 15-degrees F.

I don’t know what your local stations sell....you’ll have to simply ASK them…. …OR… add anti-gell yourself …IF you expect your fuel temp to fall below 15-F.

HOpe that helps.

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
It was over 90 degrees last time I filled the transfer tank and I added anti-gel at the time. Today it was 14 degrees when I went to fuel the tractor. I find it easier to add anti-gel to every fill and not worry about if I have it when the temperature drops.
No issues all year.

Reactions: 2 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I worked for Standard Transpipe for several years. we stored Gas, Diesel, and Jet. The fuel was blended before we ever received it. We never knew the ratio of #1 to #2. I had to sample the tanks daily when I gauged them. Sometimes it would be zero outside. Sometimes the fuel would not react to the cold while sitting in the sample container. Other times it would cloud and even gel. My point is, if you sampled The place where you buy your fuel every day and they have a lot of throughput, the samples] numbers would be all over the place. it’s not consistent so I use an additive.

As far as the temps I mentioned, the -7 was not angel temp or anything other than a trigger for when winter blend would go into effect. Like I said, winter blend would be used or start when the temps are projected to go to below -7. Yes, it would gel before then, but not immediately in the storage tanks. When you are talking 40,000 barrels (42 gal/barrel) it takes a while to cool down. The -7 trigger indicated that extreme cold was coming and that we would be receiving winter blend in the next batch.

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
If I am filling my tractor with Diesel from the local gas station then I don't need to worry about Anit-Gel until it gets down to what temperature? Does adding anti-gel when you don't need it harmful?
Should you worry??? maybe yes maybe no. While I don't worry, I am respectful of the temperatures and the fuel I have around for immediate use.

One Example: Last year where I live diesels of all sorts including our local fleet of tow trucks who tank up daily with fresh fuel from local station had gelling problems to the point where it was impossible to find a bottle of emergency use Diesel 911 or similar available anywhere. Combination I think of really cold snap and maybe fuel supplier not taking enough care or consideration of the ultra low cold snap that came through. Took about a week or two for enough Diesel 911 to be brought in from other places to hit the shelves and service those gelled up trucks that couldn't be brought into a heated space to ungel.

So I do not loose sleep over cold temp/gelling concerns but I do take care. Even where it is -40 for weeks/months at a time diesels work but operators take care to ensure fresh, proper fuel use, additive package right and I think a little extra anti gel is good insurance and now I even keep a big pail 911 type additive on my shelves in case. I consider it super cheap insurance for emergency use only. I made a few friends last year having 911 around when it was impossible to find it in retail places. :)

Bonus question: I don't use caps.... just assumed those blobs of leftover grease that covers the nipples was all the protection I need. (haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Glenn S

Equipment
RTVX900, NH Boomer 50, Cub Cadet TRS, JD 350C, IH 584 and attachments
Oct 20, 2018
Alberta
That's for sure...e
Few years ago I got caught having summer diesel still in the tank as winter hit quick. Never again. I put fuel treatment in every time I fill the 5 gallon jug. It's now habit and I don't have to think about if I did or didn't.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I made that same mistake once and had it gel in my tractor. Now I do the same as you.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Had diesel cars for 39 years and never used anti gel in them. Will not cause any harm. I use the PS white bottle stuff in the underbelly tank of the Isuzu and use its tank to refill the tractor.

I use grease caps if provided but do not go out of my way to buy some to put on all fittings.