Stump Bucket

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
I've seen some videos on YouTube and stump buckets really seem to be useful... wondering what opinions are here? I have a lot of Autumn Olive, small Oaks etc that can use thinning, small stumps from prior work that need removal and some major clumps of AO that I killed with Triclopyr and would like to remove.
I can think of tons of uses...
My tractor will be a Kubota BX2680, won't get it until September but I want my attachments all figured out for when I get it since everything is hard to get now.
One thing that bothers me is what I need for sure to make it work.... for instance one takes a part of a fork attachment, the frame, remove the forks and add the stump bucket. If I get it wrong could be costly! Anyways looking for ideas and comments, thanks!

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
I have an L3301, and purchased the Titan Attachments one for about $325 shipped. Has paid for itself several times in the 2 yrs of owning it.

A bit of experimenting with technique is needed to prevent tearing up bucket or tractor. On large stumps, I dig several feet around to break the roots. The ripper teeth do this very well. Having stump a couple feet tall above ground helps when you get to point of being able to push/rock it. Once I get the 1/2-3/4" of play, it's all down hill....just keep searching out the roots by looking at the moving dirt, then attack with the teeth. Different species of trees have different root types (shallow, deep, thin, thick, etc.). I just take it slow and enjoy the challenge.

Some recent tropies....
20210601_201011_HDR.jpg

20210705_122135.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’ve
742FE760-B49F-41B0-BBF4-63A3CDB16F2F.jpeg
been considering a stump bucket, I just haven’t pulled the trigger…

I’ve been pretty successful cutting trees down leaving about 3 feet of stump and then using the standard bucket to push, loosen and dig them out of the ground.

Mike

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
You could consider renting an excavator get everything up, while waiting for your tractor to be delivered, then forks or a grapple could do the clean up. And you won't tear up your new tractor and purchase equipment you won't use that often. Just my .02

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
A stump bucket makes a pretty good ditching tool, too, if you're digging a shallow ditch for run-off or a french drain. Like cliffboyer pointed out, it takes a little learning to use, and you'll definitely find different techniques work on different species of tree, or as stated, different sizes of the same species. Another thing that will affect the effectiveness is wet terrain around the stump. I've hidden my front wheels a few times. I've watched the ground move in a 12 foot radius around the stump I was working on. If the ground's moving, it ain't turning the stump loose. Better come back another day when the soil's dryer and harder.

I also used mine to flip our compost heap. Made short work of that. Dug out a swale in a deeper natural ditch to bury a 15" culvert. So far, I've probably dug at least 40 small-medium stumps with it. I usually put it on when I put the chipper on. The chipper makes great ballast for it, and it makes a pretty good anchor for the front of the tractor when feeding the chipper. I also dug up a couple small cedar's for relocation. Pretty handy for moving small saplings that you want to keep, but have grown in a place you don't want them.

There isn't but one thing I don't like about the Titan version. The bottom knuckles on the FEL are lower than the bottom of the bucket, meaning, in a level position, the knuckles hang in the dirt if you're trying to use it on level ground. Took a minute to figure that out. But, it's pointed, SHARP, and VERY aggressive on breaking out roots. Patience is a virtue with it. It won't be nearly as fast as a back-hoe or mini-ex nor is the FEL nearly as strong for lifting.

Reactions: 1 users

TJCallchi

Equipment
Gator
Jan 2, 2021
Wisconsin
I've seen some videos on YouTube and stump buckets really seem to be useful... wondering what opinions are here? I have a lot of Autumn Olive, small Oaks etc that can use thinning, small stumps from prior work that need removal and some major clumps of AO that I killed with Triclopyr and would like to remove.
I can think of tons of uses...
My tractor will be a Kubota BX2680, won't get it until September but I want my attachments all figured out for when I get it since everything is hard to get now.
One thing that bothers me is what I need for sure to make it work.... for instance one takes a part of a fork attachment, the frame, remove the forks and add the stump bucket. If I get it wrong could be costly! Anyways looking for ideas and comments, thanks! The
Hi I’m a very new BX2680 owner who’s just purchased a stump bucket from Goodworks Tractors. It came in about 4 weeks. Haven’t tried it yet though as I have to figure out how to get some weight on the back of the tractor first. (Rim Guard? Ballast Box? Weights?) . The Stump Wrecker appears to be well made.

Reactions: 2 users

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
Boy you and I need to stay in touch! I'm interested in your experiences with the tractor along with the stump bucket!
That one is on my short list... I'm thinking I'll buy that one but then I don't even have a tractor to put it on!
For the weight I plan to load my tires first thing and get a weight box and that should do it, if it doesn't try a smaller stump! Sure wish I had my tractor, BX2680 supposed to be in sometime in September! Can't wait! But I have to....

TJCallchi

Equipment
Gator
Jan 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Boy you and I need to stay in touch! I'm interested in your experiences with the tractor along with the stump bucket!
That one is on my short list... I'm thinking I'll buy that one but then I don't even have a tractor to put it on!
For the weight I plan to load my tires first thing and get a weight box and that should do it, if it doesn't try a smaller stump! Sure wish I had my tractor, BX2680 supposed to be in sometime in September! Can't wait! But I have to....
The stump bucket is attached, but I still need to get the ballast sorted out. Will let you know!

JCConTorch

Equipment
TBD
Feb 17, 2024
I'm very new and no experience (yet), researching a buy...I'm thinking about a Kubota B2710 and want to use a stump bucket for removing scrub bushes and small sucker trees. Recently warned by salesman that exceeding lifting limit on FEL arms triggers a valve shutoff... is this like a breaker that can be re-set, or have I broken the valve and need to replace it? I understand that the farther the reach, the more limited the lifting capacity, don't want to go into test pilot mode...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm very new and no experience (yet), researching a buy...I'm thinking about a Kubota B2710 and want to use a stump bucket for removing scrub bushes and small sucker trees. Recently warned by salesman that exceeding lifting limit on FEL arms triggers a valve shutoff... is this like a breaker that can be re-set, or have I broken the valve and need to replace it? I understand that the farther the reach, the more limited the lifting capacity, don't want to go into test pilot mode...
I have an L3800 and picked up a CRI stump bucket - it worked out great for me
pic

I pulled out 10 30' pines and replaced them with these arbovitaes

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
Glorified lawn mower without a mower deck aka BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
If it's like the BX (which it probably is, I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm) you just have to release (center) the controls and they'll work again. Works the same for lift or curl.
It's not a big deal, I've done it many times digging into large piles.

Soopitup

Equipment
Glorified lawn mower without a mower deck aka BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I'm interested to see how well that bucket works with the BX. I can easily pull mine with the backhoe trying to cut relatively small roots. That's with the 12 bucket though. This spring I plan on getting a 6 inch bucket and a ripper. That should help focus the force.
I also have no problem lifting my front end up digging into anything more than small piles of dirt.

I guess what I'm saying is I wonder if the BX has enough weight to effectively use that bucket?
It'll be cool to find out!

One thing that bothers me is what I need for sure to make it work.... for instance one takes a part of a fork attachment, the frame, remove the forks and add the stump bucket. If I get it wrong could be costly! Anyways looking for ideas and comments, thanks!
I'm pretty sure you just remove whatever attachment you have on your loader and attach the stump bucket.
You're getting the SSQA on the loader?

Hi I’m a very new BX2680 owner who’s just purchased a stump bucket from Goodworks Tractors. It came in about 4 weeks. Haven’t tried it yet though as I have to figure out how to get some weight on the back of the tractor first. (Rim Guard? Ballast Box? Weights?) . The Stump Wrecker appears to be well made.
Backhoe is perfect for rear ballast, and very useful. :D
Rimguard is good too, but not nearly as effective for balancing the loader.
I can't lift enough on the front to unbalance with the backhoe.

That's a loooong time to wait. I'd be antsy as hell!
I was frustrated waiting a week for the them to PDI and deliver it.
I wonder how much more the 26 allows you do to (vs the 23).
I HIGHLY suggest getting the backhoe also. As I said above, you can't lift enough weight with the loader to overbalance (front to rear, not side to side, very important difference!) with the backhoe attached.

Rimguard is great for side to side balance, and keeping the center of gravity low. It will also slightly help with balancing the front loader, but the weight is too far forward. So it definitely won't be enough to keep your rear down if you're tearing into the ground.
To balance a front load the further back the weight is the more effect it has. If you get a ballast box you want the weight as far back and as low as you can get it.